Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norton reports that Zonealarm isn't working

aih Guest

Default Re: Norton reports that Zonealarm isn't working

Just an update.
    I have other problems that I'm going to have to get smart on before I can figure out what's going on.
    I uninstalled ZAP from the desktop (and there is no ZA on
    either laptop, never has been).
    But afterward, even with the winxp firewall disabled, I still could not see the desktop computer
    from the laptop.
    Actually, I can't see it with either laptop.
    I can connect to the wireless router, no problem, and connect to the internet, no problem.
    Just cannot access the shared folder and shared printer, or even see the desktop in my workgroup on the laptops.
    While playing around, I was able to see the desktop on the laptop at some point in my workgroup; but clicking on the desktop icon resulted in an error message about permissions.
    Whereas before when I clicked on the desktop computer icon, it would show the shared folder and shared printer, I now get the error message.
    As I said above, this all started with the ZAP upgrade last week.

Before, all I had to do to be able to access the desktop from the laptops was add the laptop IP addresses to the trusted zone in ZAP on the desktop (again, no ZA on the laptops).
    My problems could be coincidence, and I won't be surprised if it is.
    My plan this weekend is to power everything down, including the router, then power on again, and see if it works.
    If it doesn't, then I'll have dig in and try and learn enough to have a clue what could be the problem.

If anyone has other ideas in addition
    to what's been posted by the others in this thread, I'll be grateful.

stupefy Guest

The First Thing that needs to be done is to setup the Edge Gateway Properly
    This setup will allow for Automatic DHCP Assignment from the Router and Static IP Addresses
    (1) Set the DHCP Range in the Router
    Within the Routers setup pages set the Number of DHCP Users to five (5) (more if needed) and
    the DHCP Range is 192.168.1.211 to 192.168.1.215 (if you add more users you must extend this range)
    The Computers Assigned an Static IP Address will never use this DHCP Range, however, this DHCP Range
    should always equal the Number of Computers in the Network as an Safety Net in case one of the
    Computers that are Assigned an Static IP Address is intentionally or inadvertently changed to Automatically
    Receive an IP Address from the Edge Gateway.....this Safety Net Insures there is always an Connection.
    (2) Automatic IP Addressing
    Any Computer that is setup to Automatically Receive an IP Address from the Routers DHCP Server leave as is,
    no configuration needed.
    (3) Static IP Addressing
    Any Computer that is setup Not to Automatically Receive an IP Address from the Routers DHCP Server must
    be Assigned an Static IP Address.....assuming that the Routers IP Address is 192.168.1.1 the Static IP
    Range is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.210 (there is more but not necessary, example 192.168.1.216 and above)
    To Setup the Static IP Addressing:
    Computer #1
    IP Address = 192.168.1.111
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1 (the IP Address of the Router)
    Preferred DNS Server = 192.168.1.1 (the IP Address of the Router)
    Computer #2
    IP Address = 192.168.1.112
    Computer #3
    IP Address = 192.168.1.113
    Computer #4
    IP Address = 192.168.1.114
    Computer #5
    IP Address = 192.168.1.115
    (4) Reset the Network
    Power Down all Computers
    Power Down the Router
    Power Down the Modem
    Wait an few minutes
    Power up the Modem and let Stabilize
    Power up the Router and let Stabilize
    Power up the Computers and let Stabilize
    Go to Each Computer and RightClick the Internet Connection and Choose 'Repair' then
    Click on START/Run/ -and type in cmd and press enterat the Command Prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns and press enter
    The Second Thing that needs to be done is Enabling Simple File Sharing and Synchronizing the Workgroup
    (1) Power up all the Computers and any Printers that you want Shared
    (2) Go to Each Computer one at an time and Navigate to:
    START/Control Panel/Network Connections/ -and Run the Network Setup Wizard accepting the DefaultMSHOME as the Workgroup.....to start the Network Setup Wizard click on:
    Set up a home or small office network in the Left Column and Follow the Wizard
    The Third thing that needs to be done is Disabling Internet Connection Sharing as you are behind an Router
    (1) Go to Each Computer one at an time and Navigate to:START/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Add_Remove Windows Components/ -and Clear Entirely the Boxes:
    (a) Networking Services
    (b) Other Network File and Print Services
    NOTE: It will take about 20 minutes or more for the Master Browser Service to Stabilize the Network before
    all the Computers can See Each Other and Shared Printers
    NOTE2: Disable all Power Management Features for the Network Cards to Prevent Drop OffsOn Each Computer Navigate to:
    START/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Device Manager/Network Adapters/ -then RightClick
    the Network Card and Choose 'Properties'.....Look for the Power Management Tab and Disable All the Options
    NOTE3: Disable the Windows Firewall where Not Needed

aih Guest

Well, I have the networking functioning again.
    I'm embarrased to say I went through all the troubleshooting I found searching microsoft support and google when I searched on the permissions error message I was getting on the desktop and still didn't fix it.
    Everything I checked was just as it should be.
    Tired and ready to give up, I decided offhand to run windows disk cleaner before going to bed.
    I also had in the back of my mind to remove
    the log in passwords for the windows accounts, so I did that.
    I had wondered about the passwords somehow being an issue, because of the referrence to permission in the error message, even though I couldn't see how it would make a difference, and it wasn't a problem before.

Removing the password was the fix, or I somehow stumbled on the solution don't know what it was.
    I'm also embarrased to say I don't know what the original problem was.
    I set the log in password because I wanted to set a password on the shared folder, and I thought that was a prerequisite.
    Didn't work, I guess because I have home version
    of xp and not pro.
    But I left the login passwords enabled and no problem until, apparently, I ran into the conflict between the new ZAP and Norton System Works.

I haven't put ZAP back on yet.
    I'm not that motivated right now to experiment and see if I can recreate the problem and better understand.
    Thanks to those who helped.

aih Guest

I should clarify wrt to the above, I had also found that I couldn't even view the workgroup on the desktop.
    When I would click on view workgroup computers in my network (on the laptop AND the desktop), I get the error message, "XXXXXX
    is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. .. . . "
    where XXXXX is the workgroup.
    I went throught all the steps in Knowldege Base Article 318030 and related, and nother fixed the problem until I removed the password from the windows login.

stupefy Guest

Actually.....Windows Networking Performs More Reliably and Secure with Password Protected Computers, even
    if the Password is an Simple Password.....the reason for this Windows Recommended Requirement is so that the
    Master Browser Service and the Inner Workings of Windows Networking can Authenticate All Communications
    Reliably and Securely with the NT_Authority while All Communications Inbound to an Computer are treated as
    an 'Guest' (not to be confused with the Guest Account).....
    Did You Follow My Suggestions in the Post Below to Properly Setup an Windows Home Network:
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=56056
    When setting up an Share you have an Option to make the Share Read Only Permissions or Read and Write Permissions
    On the Sharing Tab Enable or Disable:
    Allow network users to change my files

aih Guest

Thanks, stupefy.
    Actually, I didn't see your post until this morning, after I had got things working late last night.
    While troubleshooting, I saw that the computers are set to automatically determine IP addresses.
    I assume the wireless router assigns them.
    So, I left things alone in that regard.
    As I say, I can't see how removing the password on the desktop login fixed things.
    It's just that after doing that I was then able to view the computers on
    my network
    on the desktop and not get
    the error message.
    And that was after hours of going through the KB articles, and a number of reboots.
    I don't get it; only saying this is what happened.
    I did notice after I got things working that sometimes I get the network not accessible error on the laptop, but
    that
    the network
    eventally becomes accessible.
    I wait, then try again, and eventually I get it and can access the shared folders and shared printer.
    Don't know why there is this delay now.
    When I first set up the laptop on the wireless network there was no noticeable delay or times when the network wasn't accessible.
    Sorry I can't be clearer about what I did.
    I was stumbling
    along most of the time.

stupefy Guest

You explain things very well.....very good.....
    The Delay is the Master Browser Service holding an Election amongst all the Computers in the Network to
    determine who will be Master Browser of the Network.....The Computer Elected to be Master Browser is most
    often the Computer that has been connected to the Network the longest, but not always, it is an very
    Complex Algorithm.....Every time any Computer on the Network is Powered Up, Shut Down
    or Rebooted,especially the Current Master Browser, an New Election is held for Master Browser.....
    The Master Browser is Responsible for the Icons that you see in the 'My Network Places'
    The Elected Master Browser keeps an List of All the Shares in the Network and Updates the My Network Places
    for all the Computers in the Network.....
    Sometimes the Master Browser Service becomes Confused because of the Default Settings in the Registry for
    the Computer Browser, especially when there are Multiple Reboots and Shut Downs.....the Default Settings
    make it Difficult and Time Consuming for the Master Browser Service to Complete its Election for "who is
    going to be the Master Browser".....hence, No Access till the Election is Completed.....this can take up
    to twenty minutes or more.....
    To alleviate this problem in Large Networks, Only One Computer is Setup to be The Master Browser, this
    Computer is hardly ever Rebooted or Shut Down and is Most Likely the Server for the Network, and All the
    other Computers are set up Not To Be Master Browsers or an few are set up to be Backup Browsers in case the
    Master Browser is Shut Down or Rebooted for what ever reason.....in an Home Network this would not be
    sufficient to accommodate the needs of the Small LAN (Local Area Network).....there are too many Reboots
    and Shut Downs.....The Solution for the Home Network is to Configure All the Computers in the Network to
    be Master Browsers and Maintain the List of Shares.....this will Force any Computer that is Not the
    Master Browser to be The Backup Browser.....then, when Any Computer, especially The Master Browser, is
    Rebooted or Shut Down the Election for Master Browser is more Reliable and Faster.....
    The Default Registry Settings for the Computer Browser are:
    IsDomainMaster = FALSE = (Master is determined by election)
    MaintainServerList = Auto = (Offer to be the master if needed)
    To make all the Computers Master Browser and Maintain the Server List Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters Highlight 'Parameters' then
    RightClick 'IsDomainMaster' and choose 'Modify'
    Change the Value to TRUE (case sensitive) = (This computer is now the master browser)
    RightClick 'MaintainServerList' and choose 'Modify'
    Change the Value to Yes (case sensitive) = (This computer will now ask to be the preferred master)
    Scroll to the Top of the Registry and Highlight 'My Computer' then Click on View/Refresh from the Tool Bar
    (this will Collapse the Registry Tree on Closure)
    Close the Registry and Reboot the Computer
    Do this for All the Computers in the Network
    NOTE: The Delay at Reboot and Shut Down is The Master Browser Service Announcing to The Network:
    "This Computer is Shutting Down" and the Election for New Master Browser starts to take place

aih Guest

Thanks, stupefy.
    I see now that my later problems after the ZAP/SystemWorks conflict were self-inflicted with all the rebooting I was doing, starting when I uninstalled ZAP and System Works and then reinstalled both.
    Usually the desktop is left running.
    That explains why I never noticed the connection delays before.
    I read 4 or 5 knowledge base articles -- and learned about the browser service -- and worked through all the troubleshooting, and googled on the error message, and never came across this explaination of the time it can take for the algorithm to finish.

Thanks so much!

stupefy Guest

Another Critical Part of Any Network is 'Time'
    'Time', if too far off between the Computers on the Network, can Break Some Networks.....Especially the Shares
    The Ideal Solution for 'Time' on an Network is to Select One Computer as an 'Local Time Server' for the Network,
    and have All the Other Computers on the Network Set their 'Time' from the Local Network Time Server.....
    Unfortunately Windows XP Home does not have this Feature Enabled by Default, However, with an little help
    from 'Wits' (Windows Internet Time Setter) from Anobyte (anobyte.com) this Feature can be Enabled.....and is more
    Reliable and Stable than Relying on Third Party Software to Set the 'Time' because Windows is using its Own Built In
    Algorithms (The Windows Time Service) to Discipline the Internal Clock to Accuracy.....and it takes awhile,
    some time, to Discipline the Internal Clock. The Windows Time Service Learns the Internal Clocks Behavior over time
    and can then Compensate for the Internal Clocks Drift, Missed or Skipped Beats, Sudden Time Changes such as Daylight
    Savings Time and Slowly Discipline the Clock to Accuracy.....So.....what is Displayed in the System Clock on The Desktop
    is not always the Correct Time of the Computer.....The Windows Time Service Displays the Correct Time through the
    Algorithms of the Windows Time Service, but the Actual Time of the Computer could be Off Until the Internal Clock is
    fully Disciplined to keep Accurate Time.....The longer the Computer is Powered On, and the More Accurate the Time Source,
    the More Accurate the Internal Clock in the BIOS becomes. (basic input output system)
    First select an Reliable Public NTP (Network Time Protocol) Time Server in your area
    Then select One Computer that is Always On to Act as the Local Network Time Server
    On the Computer Selected to Act as the Local Network Time Server:
    Open 'Wits' and tell 'Wits' to Configure this Computer to Synchronize its Time with the Public NTP Time Server in your areaAlso tell 'Wits' to Configure this Computer to Allow Other Computers to Set Their Time From This ComputerThen tell 'Wits' to Configure this Computer to Synchronize its Time Once Every Hour
    On All the Other Computers in the Network:
    Open 'Wits' and tell 'Wits' to Configure this Computer to Synchronize its Time with the Chosen Local Network Time ServerAlso tell 'Wits' to Configure this Computer Not to Act as an Time ServerThen tell 'Wits' to Configure this Computer to Synchronize its Time Once Every Hour
    Now.....Once Every Hour All the Computers on the Network will Update their Time,
    The Local Network Time Server will Update its Time from the Public NTP Time Server and
    The Local Computers will Update their Time from the Local Network Time Server
    Whenever the Local Network Time Server is Rebooted or Powered Up, it will Update its Time from the Public NTP Time Server
    Whenever the Local Computers are Rebooted or Powered Up, they will Update their Time from the Local Network Time Server
    NOTE: With this Setup, whenever you Manually Set the Time, and you Should, Once an Week, the Hour Starts there:
    Example, manually set at 10:03 PM.....from here on out the Windows Time Service will Update the Time on :03 of each Hour.
    Also Note that each Computer is Independent on the Hourly Time Updates:
    Example, Computer #1 Updates its Time :03 of Every Hour while Computer #2 Updates its Time :27 of Every Hour from Computer #1
    'Wits' is not Installed, just Copy it to Each Computers Hard Drive and Open It
    (I like to create an Folder on Drive C:\ and Name the Folder 'Time Tools')
    'Wits' is Digitally Signed and Freeware
    Now that the 'Time' on your Network is Synchronized you will not Experience some of the Adverse Aftermath Generated
    with Incorrect Time Settings, such as Network Drop Offs, Erroneous Error Messages, Software Failing to Update, and
    an Array of other Problems.
    ZoneAlarm Updates are Critical, and We sure don't want to miss one of those.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information