Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wireless Network

bigreb Guest

Default New Wireless Network

Beginning about a week ago.Turn on my laptop and ZAISS pops up a window "New Wireless Network Found," shows the same IP address each time and "Network Secured (WEP Enabled) in the right upper corner of pop-up.Then below, there are
    the choices "1) Keep in Internet Zone: or Allow Into Trusted Zone:" and 2) Name this network (optional)."

The standard pop-up window.I installed ZAISS back in 07/2008 and the only other time this window came up was when I did the initial set-up.When I
    go to Firewall/Zones and all that is shown is the "New Network".
    All of my previous settings are gone.Also wondering why it is showing "WEP Enabled" when I originally set-up with WPA?
    Any idea what is happening?
    ZAISS 7.0.483.000 with daily updates on the definitions.XP Pro

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: New Wireless Network

The use of wep or wap depends on your router settings.
    Probably the router is re-assigning a new IP to the computer as the assigned IP lease expires or at even new windows bootup.

Try this:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

ZA, as far back as I can recall, always says the wireless network is "WEP enabled" even though you and windows know it's WPA. I suspect there's just one, old, message coded in since long ago and never changed. Bottom line, unless somebody proves otherwise, I don't worry about it.

I, too, think the ZA database needs a reset because normally ZA remembers the wireless IPs even if not used for a long time and hasn't changed even though the lease may have expired. Just my observation

Message Edited by zaswing on 04-07-2009 09:48 PM

<blockquote><hr>zaswing wrote:
    ZA, as far back as I can recall, always says the wireless network is "WEP enabled" even though you and windows know it's WPA. I suspect there's just one, old, message coded in since long ago and never changed. Bottom line, unless somebody proves otherwise, I don't worry about it.

I, too, think the ZA database needs a reset because normally ZA remembers the wireless IPs even if not used for a long time and hasn't changed even though the lease may have expired. Just my observation

Message Edited by zaswing on 04-07-2009 09:48 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

zaswing, you are very correct.
    I consulted the ZA help .pdf and the wep is mentioned and no wap is recognized by the ZA.
    Just as you said, it is still safe as the wap is used and not the wep being used.
    Thanks for checking into this thread!
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bigreb Guest

Thanks to you both.
    I had already re-added DNS &amp; DHCP after I noticed they were gone.
    I'll also reset the database to see if that helps.
    I checked the lease expiration with ipconfig on this laptop and the other computer direct wired from the router.
    Appearantly the ISP is only supplying 1 day leases.The lease changed early this morning before I booted the laptop.
    There is a different IP address than yesterday.
    But I didn't receive the &quot;New Wireless&quot; pop-up this morning.It connected just fine.
    And like it has for the last 5-6 months (up until a week ago) since I have been with this ISP.
    Had &amp; have not yet re-set the database as of this writing.
    If ZA is detecting and setting up a new wireless connection, shouldn't the old one still be on the list?
    I think I just partly answered my own question.
    By leaving it named &quot;New Network&quot; it overwrote the previous settings?But my initial network set-up I named it something different.
    Shouldn't that still be shown?
    It isn't the case here but in the event I am somewhere else using a different wireless network with permission.
    Save from having to set up a new connection each time.
    If I do not re-set the database will it leave me (this computer) open to anything?
    I am thinking of waiting a day or so to see if I can determine
    if the expiring lease is the cause.
    or is it worth fooling with??By the way, one thing I didn't think to mention.
    The last couple of times the new wireless pop-up has happened, it does two,
    one right after the other.
    I click allow in internet zone then a second or so later it does it again.I have SSID broadcast turned off.

stupefy Guest

You have been given The Solution to Your Problem by Two of Some of the Best Here on this Forum.....
    I also Agree with, and Believe that, an Reset of the ZoneAlarm Database is Necessary....
    Start Fresh and then Start Troubleshooting.....

bigreb Guest

OK, which is recommended.The full reset back to square
    one default settings described in the following message or the &quot;simple work around&quot; method described by Oldsod
    further down in the
    thread?
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=17370

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>bigreb wrote:
    OK, which is recommended.The full reset back to square
    one default settings described in the following message or the &quot;simple work around&quot; method described by Oldsod
    further down in the
    thread?
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=17370
    <hr></blockquote>When in doubt and having several options, I would go with Guru Oldsod's advice..

stupefy Guest

Personally, I would Perform an Full Reset and Start From Square One.....Reason.....
    The Backup may be Corrupted.....

bigreb Guest

Did as shown below:?
    Shift/Ctrl/Right Click/Reset late yesterday.
    Rebooted.
    It detected &quot;New Wireless&quot; which I figured was normal.
    Gave it a specific network name (call it Network A), added DNS &amp; DHCP servers.
    But no loop-back adapter was displayed.
    Went ahead and used it for awhile.Booted up this morning and &quot;New Wireless&quot; detected pop-up came up again.Went through the exercise again with a different network name (call it Network B).
    Checked Firewall/Main Added DNS &amp; DHCP.
    But did not have anti-virus protection.
    Nothing would allow me to turn it on.Did another re-set as above.
    And made sure anti-virus was turned on.Re-booted... &quot;New Network&quot; pop-up... named this one Network C... anti-virus was on... checked Firewall/Main.Network B was
    showing (not C), DHCP and loopback adapter were already there, added DNS.
    I did not add the loopback in any of the previous set-ups.
    It somehow was added on it's own.Updated anti-virus &amp; spam signatures, then came here.
    Anything further I can try?
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information