Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Wireless Network

Default Re: New Wireless Network

<blockquote>Appearantly the ISP is only supplying 1 day leases.
    The lease changed early this morning before I booted the laptop. There is a different IP address than yesterday. But I didn't receive the "New Wireless" pop-up this morning.</blockquote>

The changes of the assigned IP by the internet provider does not concern the IP that is assigned to the computer by the router or nat-enabled modem.
    Any IP assigned to the computer by the router or modem (with NAT) will be involved with a private network address, and not the public IP assigned by the provider.

How the network connection settings arranged? Is the ZA set to ask for every new wireless networks detected?

The ZA will detect a new network on startups if the router is assigning a new IP every time to the computer.This can be usually resolved by locking in the MAC of the computer in the router and setting the router to always assign the same IP to the computer every time.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<blockquote><hr>bigreb wrote:
    Did as shown below:?
    Shift/Ctrl/Right Click/Reset late yesterday.
    Rebooted.
    It detected "New Wireless" which I figured was normal.
    Gave it a specific network name (call it Network A), added DNS & DHCP servers.
    But no loop-back adapter was displayed.
    Went ahead and used it for awhile.Booted up this morning and "New Wireless" detected pop-up came up again.Went through the exercise again with a different network name (call it Network B).
    Checked Firewall/Main Added DNS & DHCP.
    But did not have anti-virus protection.
    Nothing would allow me to turn it on.Did another re-set as above.
    And made sure anti-virus was turned on.Re-booted... "New Network" pop-up... named this one Network C... anti-virus was on... checked Firewall/Main.Network B was
    showing (not C), DHCP and loopback adapter were already there, added DNS.
    I did not add the loopback in any of the previous set-ups.
    It somehow was added on it's own.Updated anti-virus & spam signatures, then came here.
    Anything further I can try?
    Thanks,

<hr></blockquote>

Using other security software that cover or could include things such as ...cookie and web filtering, script protection, web filtering, third party phishing filter, network intrusion protection, network worm protection, IM guards or shields, spam filters, site blockers, other email scanners, registry protection, startup folder protection, windows serices protection, antikeyloggers, memory protection, temporary folder protection, process controls, browser toolbar and bho protections, etc?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

stupefy Guest

During the 'Reset' Installation do you:
    Allow to Scan for Applications
    Allow to Setup Network Automatically
    Also:
    You may have to Broadcast the SSID (Service Set Identification) Prior to the 'Reset'
    When you Name the Network, do you also Allow Into Trusted Zone
    You can Try:
    Giving the Laptop an Static IP Address Outside the DHCP Range of the Router
    To do this:
    Assuming the Router IP Address is 192.168.1.1 some Routers are 192.168.0.1
    Within the Routers Setup Pages Set the DHCP Range from 192.168.1.211 to 192.168.1.215 (for 5 devices)
    If the Routers IP Address is 192.168.0.1 then Set the DHCP Range from 192.168.0.211 to 192.168.0.215 (for 5 devices)
    Set the DHCP Lease to Three Days, Currently it is Set to '0' (zero) '0' (zero) means One Day
    Set the Laptop to an Static IP Address Outside the DHCP Range of the Router:
    IP Address = 192.168.1.111 or if Router IP Address is 192.168.0.1 then 192.168.0.111
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1 or if the Routers IP Address is 192.168.0.1 then 192.168.0.1*************************************** ************************************************** ***********
    Here is what I suggest that you do:
    Setup the Router up for Static IP and DHCP Addressing as described above
    Setup the Router to Broadcast the Wireless SSIDSetup the Routers DHCP Lease to Three Days (3 days)
    The Hard Wired Computers Workgroup should be 'MSHOME' if not Change it to 'MSHOME'
    Reboot the Hard Wired Computer, the New IP Address will be 192.168.1.211 or 192.168.0.211
    On the Laptop:
    Disable ZoneAlarm Entirely and Reboot to remove ZoneAlarm from Memory
    Run the Windows Network Setup Wizard and Choose:
    This Computer Connects to the Internet through another computer or Residential Gateway
    Allow File and Printer Sharing
    Accept the Default Workgroup 'MSHOME' and make sure the Hard Wired Computer Workgroup is also 'MSHOME'
    After Reboot Change the Laptop to an Static IP Address as described above
    After Reboot Open ZoneAlarm and Reset ZoneAlarm
    During the Reset Installation:
    Choose Clean Install if Prompted
    Allow to Scan for Applications
    Allow to Setup Network Automatically
    Allow the New Network into the Trusted Zone and Name the Network
    The Laptop IP Address 192.168.1.111 or 192.168.0.111 must be in the Hard Wired Computers ZoneAlarm
    Trusted Zone to Allow Communications between the two Computers and visa versa, or preferably,
    Run the Windows Network Setup Wizard on the Hard Wired Computer Also

bigreb Guest

Oldsod:

I missed your
    earlier post where you
    had already asked the following:
    (oops)<hr>
    Using other security software that cover or could include things such as ...cookie and web filtering, script protection, web filtering, third party phishing filter, network intrusion protection, network worm protection, IM guards or shields, spam filters, site blockers, other email scanners, registry protection, startup folder protection, windows serices protection, antikeyloggers, memory protection, temporary folder protection, process controls, browser toolbar and bho protections, etc?

Oldsod.
    <hr>

ZAISS is the only security package I have loaded and use on this machine.
    Since the last clean re-install of XP last fall, with a newly formatted
    HD, I have not installed or tried to install any other AV, anti-malware, spam guards, etc.
    I have tried to rely on ZAISS for all of these.
    I have scripting turned off in IE.
    I have ZAISS set to clear the cache including cookies on a daily basis.

Could the clearing of the cookies be doing this?
    Although I had been clearing cookies long before this started to occur.

------------

Stupefy:

I will try your suggestions.
    I thought the problem had gone away.
    The &quot;New Wireless Connection&quot; pop-up had not appeared in 2-1/2 days,
    including this morning.
    But when I booted this afternoon there it was again.
    And like I mentioned before, the window is popping up not once, but twice.
    There is only one wireless connection available.

I had to add DNS and DHCP.
    And the loop-back was gone again.
    Last time ZAISS included it on it's own.

When I did the reset I let ZAISS do everything it needed to.
    It only asked me to name the new network.
    And I kept it in the internet zone.
    As I have before.

Thanks,

Your home/office wireless network should be set as Trusted not Internet.
    Only use the Internet Zone for untrusted wireless networks such as schools, libraries, hotels, hotspots, etc.

The loopback should be manually added.

The html Cookies are not related to the issue.

Please make sure this is performed or followed:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.
    6. The Trusted slider should be at the middle level.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bigreb Guest

Part of the time I am using my home/network wireless.
    When I am traveling I am using a cellular expresscard 3G modem.
    Don't trust hotel, etc wireless since they are all typically WEP.
    Someone once told me cellular was somewhat more secure.

So far
    I haven't been bit, so I've stayed with it.My firewall setting for the 3G Connection is listed as Entry type&gt;Network and Zone&gt;Internet.
    Would this be correct?DNS &amp; DHCP are Trusted.
    No loopback is listed.
    Thx.

Part of the time I am using my home/network wireless.
    When I am traveling I am using a cellular expresscard 3G modem.
    Don't trust hotel, etc wireless since they are all typically WEP.
    Someone once told me cellular was somewhat more secure.

So far
    I haven't been bit, so I've stayed with it.My firewall setting for the 3G Connection is listed as Entry type>Network and Zone>Internet.
    Would this be correct?DNS & DHCP are Trusted.
    No loopback is listed.
    Thx.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Seems ok. But if issues or problems should show up, then set the 3G as Trusted instead of internet and then do a reboot.... that will help.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bigreb Guest

Thanks to all for
    your help.Haven't seen the new wireless window pop-up for about a week now.All seems well except the loopback adapter not being recognized after I installed
    and added it to the trusted list.Since everything else is working and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems I'll leave it as is.

Thanks to all for
    your help.Haven't seen the new wireless window pop-up for about a week now.All seems well except the loopback adapter not being recognized after I installed
    and added it to the trusted list.Since everything else is working and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems I'll leave it as is.

<hr></blockquote>

Sounds right.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information