Thread: ACCESS DENIED TO RENAME OR DELETE MY OWN FOLDERS ON MY OWN COMPUTER AFTER ZA UPDATE!!!

charpow Guest

Default ACCESS DENIED TO RENAME OR DELETE MY OWN FOLDERS ON MY OWN COMPUTER AFTER ZA UPDATE!!!

X-( I can create folders, but I can not delete them or rename them. They are just called 'new folder'. Even though I have done nothing to change them, I have checked my permissions settings, and my security settings, and all of it pointed me to look at what is being shared. My c drive and my slave d drive are being shared, and are called c$ and d$, respectively. When I try to unshare or not share them, I get this message saying something like 'this drive is being shared for admistrative reasons only. When the server process or this computer are restarted, this drive will be shared again. Are you sure you want to not share this drive?' I click yes, and then sure enough later the drive is shared again!!! Why can I not determine or decide what is shared and with whom on MY OWN computer?!?!?! On permissions I have full control given to administrators and to me, my profile, but special permissions are not selected, and the option is grayed out.

The whole problem is I can not name folders I create nor can I delete them. That JUST started after I updated Zone Alarm. Any ideas?? I am in desperate need of help, this computer is the only way
    I have to support my kids. What did zone alarm do to my computer?????

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ACCESS DENIED TO RENAME OR DELETE MY OWN FOLDERS ON MY OWN COMPUTER AFTER ZA UPDATE!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>charpow wrote:
    X-( I can create folders, but I can not delete them or rename them. They are just called 'new folder'. Even though I have done nothing to change them, I have checked my permissions settings, and my security settings, and all of it pointed me to look at what is being shared. My c drive and my slave d drive are being shared, and are called c$ and d$, respectively. When I try to unshare or not share them, I get this message saying something like 'this drive is being shared for admistrative reasons only. When the server process or this computer are restarted, this drive will be shared again. Are you sure you want to not share this drive?' I click yes, and then sure enough later the drive is shared again!!! Why can I not determine or decide what is shared and with whom on MY OWN computer?!?!?! On permissions I have full control given to administrators and to me, my profile, but special permissions are not selected, and the option is grayed out. The whole problem is I can not name folders I create nor can I delete them. That JUST started after I updated Zone Alarm. Any ideas?? I am in desperate need of help, this computer is the only way I have to support my kids. What did zone alarm do to my computer?????

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry, but it looks like your Windows XP is corrupted, or you have Mailware on your computer before upgrading zoneAlarm?1.) ZoneAlarm Security Suite Provides both inbound and Outbound Access to your computer and with Scan files, Email and Directories for InfectionBut has no control over the operation of windows Function..2.) here is a Simple Test..a.) disconect from the Internet..b.) go into ZA Overview/Preferences and Uncheck "load ZoneAlarm on Startup"c.) shut down computer and Reboot computer without ZoneAlarm.. and make sure you are not connected to the Internet..d.) now logon your computer in as Administrator, and Play with windows and see if you can create and delete Directories, etc..whatever problems with windows you had before.. if you have the same problem, then no connection to ZoneAlarm..3.) here is Info on Checking for Malware/infection..NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (7.0.470.000 or later). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Disable system restore;2. Set ZA antispyware to "Deep inspection scan" under the advanced options on ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (detection);
    3. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    4. Manual run ZASS (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    5. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA antispyware back to recommended settings ("Intelligent quick scan")7. Ensable System restore

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._failsafe.mspx

How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405 If the abovefails try to clean your system with MBAM:http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running
    Download. update and scan with superantispyware FREE:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/download.htmlWARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and runningif the above fails try the bootable CD fromDrWeb:http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/and:http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
    --------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:981954217
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5685
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stupefy Guest

Default Re: ACCESS DENIED TO RENAME OR DELETE MY OWN FOLDERS ON MY OWN COMPUTER AFTER ZA UPDATE!!!

You need to reset the NTFS Permissions
    Disable ZoneAlarm Completely
    Reboot into Safe Mode through the Administrator Account (always)
    Open Windows Explorer and Highlight the C:\ Drive
    Right Click the C:\ Drive and Choose Properties
    Click the Security Tab and then the Advanced Button (always the advanced button)
    Sometimes this Window will disappear behind Windows Explorer, just bring it to the Front Again
    I will assume that you know how to Edit NTFS Permissions and Will Not go into Details
    First take Ownership of the Files:
    Click on the Owner Tab (has nothing to do with the Owner Account)
    Make sure Administrators are the Owner of the Container
    Click the Apply Button
    Enable the Check Box: Replace Permissions Entries on All Child Objects with Entries Shown Here That Apply to Child Objects
    Click the Apply Button
    Second Remove the Old Permissions:
    Remove All Permissions Except Administrators (do not remove administrators, you will lock yourself out of the computer)
    Make sure Administrators have: (Full Control) (not inherited) (this folder, subfolders, and files)
    Click the Apply Button
    Enable the Check Box: Replace Permissions Entries on All Child Objects with Entries Shown Here That Apply to Child Objects
    Click the Apply Button
    Third Setup New NTFS Permissions:
    Click the Add Button
    Add: Administrator; with Permissions:
    + From Drop List (this folder, subfolders, and files)
    + Everything in the Allow List = (Full Control)
    Click the Add Button
    Add: Creator Owner; with Permissions:
    + From Drop List (subfolders, and files only)
    Click the Add Button
    Add: Everyone; with Permissions:
    ++ Selected Values from the Allow List = (Special)
    + Traverse Folder/Execute File
    + List Folder/Read Data
    + Read Attributes
    + Read Extended Attributes
    + Create Files/Write Data
    + Create Folders/Append Data
    + Write Attributes
    + Write Extended Attributes
    + Delete Subfolders and Files
    + Delete
    + Read Permissions
    Click the Add Button
    Add: Owner; with Permissions:
    Click the Add Button
    Add: SYSTEM; with Permissions:
    Click the Add Button
    Add: Users; with Permissions:
    ++ Selected Values from the Allow List = (Special)
    + Traverse Folder/Execute File
    + List Folder/Read Data
    + Read Attributes
    + Read Extended Attributes
    + Create Files/Write Data
    + Create Folders/Append Data
    + Read Permissions
    Click the Add Button
    Add: &quot;Your Administrative Account&quot;; with Permissions:
    EDITED: Click the Apply Button
    Click the Apply Button
    Click the OK Button
    Repeat the above steps For All Physical and Logical Drives
    Reboot into Your Administrative Account where ZoneAlarm is Installed
    Open the Recycle Bin (in all accounts) and Select Yes to the Prompts
    Open ZoneAlarm and let Stabilize
    Reboot the Computer back into Your Administrative Account where ZoneAlarm is Installed
    Defrag
    Any Limited Windows User Accounts will Automatically be taken care of by the Super Registry in Windows
    The Super Registry Is Not Accessible Or Visible To Any Human Other Than The Developers At Microsoft
    The Super Registry Governs Windows
    The C$ and D$ are Hidden Shares within the Windows Operating System for Administrative Purposes Only
    These are the Default Microsoft NTFS Permissions
    Default Microsoft NTFS Permissions are sometimes Edited by Disk Utilities and Security Software to
    Ensure Functionality of the Software, and sometimes the Aftermath is Negative
    Enjoy your New Found Freedom

Message Edited by stupefy on 04-07-2009 06:00 PM

Thread Information