Thread: "Check for update" is driving me crazy

jimplory Guest

Default "Check for update" is driving me crazy

I've turned off all sorts of automatic updates in my zone alarm pro 8.0.289.000, yet that "check for updates" window pops up 10 minutes or so into turning on my laptop. If I restart, 10 minutes into he new session the **bleep** thing will pop up again. I made sure no other component in the program was set to update (anti spyware), and tried clean uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail. I'm running window XP home edition 2002 and SP2. there is no other security software on the machine. Not even an anti virus.

Can anyone help?

Message Edited by jimplory on 03-20-2009 02:22 AM

Default Re: "Check for update" is driving me crazy

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>jimplory wrote:
    I've turned off all sorts of automatic updates in my zone alarm pro 8.0.289.000, yet that "check for updates" window pops up 10 minutes or so into turning on my laptop. If I restart, 10 minutes into he new session the **bleep** thing will pop up again. I made sure no other component in the program was set to update (anti spyware), and tried clean uninstalling/reinstalling to no avail. I'm running window XP home edition 2002 and SP2. there is no other security software on the machine. Not even an anti virus.

Can anyone help?

Message Edited by jimplory on 03-20-2009 02:22 AM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..
    This is just my two cents worth, but maybe ZoneAlarm has detected that you have not Updated Windows XP home to Service Pack 3 ?ZA ver 8.0.was designed to work Best with on WinXP Sp3..

<B class=headblack2>System Requirements for all other ZoneAlarm Products:[/B]Vista (32-bit): <UL><LI>Pentium III 800 MHz or higher <LI>Minimum system RAM: 512 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]Windows XP Operating System: <UL><LI>Pentium III 450 MHz or higher <LI>XP Service Packs 2 and 3 <LI>Minimum system RAM: 128 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.
    </LI><LI>--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980643173
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5565
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------</LI>[/list]
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stupefy Guest

Default Re: "Check for update" is driving me crazy

The Option 'Check for product updates' Under Overview/Preferences/Check for Updates/Check for product updates/
    Persistent on monitoring the Products Version regardless of the User Setting of Automatically or Manually Is Not
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 Specific, although the version 8 series architecture is designed
    primarily for Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    Yes this is annoying, not having an User Specific Setting not adhere to the choice made by the User, However,
    Let's take an closer look at this setting 'Check for Product Updates' Automatically or Manually.....
    ZoneAlarm Installed Security Products are the Security Gateways of our computers.
    It is vitally important that any Security Software or Security Hardware exist in an state of current technology.
    It is also vitally important that the implemented Security Software/Hardware continually exist in an Updated and
    Patched State, allowing ultimate compatibility and security for and with the surrounding technology.....
    Now.....if by Default or by User Selection, should the 'Check for product updates' exist Disabled, by Human Nature
    and Habit, this would trigger most Users Not To Ever Check For Product Updates.....
    The Persistent, and possibly annoying action, of the 'Check for product updates' Event, I believe is an good
    Security Programming Choice.....it will eventually persuade the User to Enable the Correct Security Level.....(Automatically)
    Let's Remember.....Check Point Secures Enterprise Level Infrastructures and has condensed their Security Products
    down to the Home User Level.....these People and Programmers Know What They Are Doing.....
    Yet an closer look.....the 'Check for product updates' unlike some other Software, does not Immediately try to
    connect to the Internet after the computer is Powered Up or Rebooted.....the 'Check for product updates' waits
    until the Computer and ZoneAlarm are Stabilized and then makes the Internet Connection to check for Product Updates.
    Now Remember.....the 'Check for product updates' unlike some other Software, Will Not Automatically Download and
    Install the Product Updates that may be available for the Product.....the User will only be Notified that an Update
    is Available.....then it is up to the User to Download and Install the Product Updates.....
    Also Remember.....the 'Check for product updates' is an Separate Event from Antivirus/AntiSpyware Updates.....
    the 'Check for product updates' only monitors and checks for Product Updates.....
    the Antivirus/AntiSpyware Modules have their own Settings and Will Automatically Download and Install Antivirus and
    AntiSpyware Definition Updates to the Users Computer.
    Quote from ZoneAlarm Help/
    When you purchase ZoneAlarm security software, you receive an automatic product update subscription valid for one year,
    which means that whenever a new version of your ZoneAlarm security software is released, your software notifies you and
    you can download it instantly for free. Your ZoneAlarm security software will keep you aware of the status of your subscription.
    /End Quote from ZoneAlarm Help
    When an Update is available the User is Notified with an Small Dialog Box.....
    The Dialog Box exists two choices:
    (1) Remind me later
    (2) Update Now (This choice navigates the User to an Web Page where the User can Download the Update)
    My 100 Sense worth:
    Enable: Automatically check for product updates (Overview/Preferences/Check for Updates/)
    Disable: Alert me with a pop-up before I make contact (Overview/Preferences/Contact with ZoneAlarm/)
    Enable: Hide the last octet of my IP address when applicable (Overview/Preferences/Contact with ZoneAlarm)
    Enjoy Enterprise Security at the Home Level

Thread Information