Thread: ZA tab won't close on the Active Task Bar

mgordon2 Guest

Default ZA tab won't close on the Active Task Bar

I am using Windows XP Pro SR1 on a Dell Dimension 4600 and ZA Internet Secuity Suite 6.5.737.00. The problem I am having is the ZA tab in the Active Task Bar. Let me be very clear on the exact position of the tab since there is much confusion between the System Task Bar and the Quick Launch Task Bar.

The System Task Bar is on the extreme right edge of the Windows task bar (the clock, etc), the Quick Launch Task Bar is on the extreme left of the Windows task bar (Start Button, programs waiting to launch), and the Active Task Bar is between these two (it displays the program tabs and icons when a new program is launched).

At least once a week ZA will perform some action in the background (update itself, scan the drives, scan incoming messages, etc) and the ZA tab will appear in the Active Task Bar. If I am using the PC at the time ZA performs a background task I have the option to close the function when completed and the ZA tab disappears. If the function takes place when I am not at the PC (PC in standby) I do not have the option to close the function when I activate the PC. I cannot close the tab and the tab will remain in the Active Task Bar until I reboot the PC.

I have come to understand this is a bug in ZA and will be addressed someday in the far off future. The problem with someday is that real estate on the Task Bar is very limited, and when I have several programs open performing several different tasks the tabs on the task bar become very small and unreadable.

ZA is the only application I have on this PC that performs this error in closing, I have three additional applications that perform functions in the background while the PC is in standby and they do not leave their tab and icon behind and unable to close.

Is there some adjustment in ZA, Windows Registry, or somewhere else that will make ZA close its own tab when finished with background functions?

Is there some setting in ZA that will keep the user interface on screen when a background function is complete so I can close that function with the Exit button (X)? Case in point: When Classic Phone Tools receives a FAX message it processes the incoming FAX with the User Interface on screen (it brings the PC out of Standby), when the FAX is finished the PC goes back into Standby, When I bring the PC out of Standby the FAX user interface is displayed and I can deal with the new FAX and completely close the Active Task Bar tab for the FAX application.

I know you (at ZA) have many more pressing issues to deal with than a user interface problem (keeping ahead of all the newest threats to our systems), but having to reboot 2 3 times a week just to keep a clean Task Bar is a pain in the Butt.

I hope this gets cleared up in the next version upgrade.

Respectfully,

Michael Gordon

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZA tab won't close on the Active Task Bar

Well written! ZA programmer or support don't venture here
    - post that letter on the customer support site. :8}

pragsys Guest

<blockquote><hr>mgordon2 wrote:
    I am using Windows XP Pro SR1 on a Dell Dimension 4600 and ZA Internet Secuity Suite 6.5.737.00. The problem I am having is the ZA tab in the Active Task Bar. Let me be very clear on the exact position of the tab since there is much confusion between the System Task Bar and the Quick Launch Task Bar.

The System Task Bar is on the extreme right edge of the Windows task bar (the clock, etc), the Quick Launch Task Bar is on the extreme left of the Windows task bar (Start Button, programs waiting to launch), and the Active Task Bar is between these two (it displays the program tabs and icons when a new program is launched).

At least once a week ZA will perform some action in the background (update itself, scan the drives, scan incoming messages, etc) and the ZA tab will appear in the Active Task Bar. If I am using the PC at the time ZA performs a background task I have the option to close the function when completed and the ZA tab disappears. If the function takes place when I am not at the PC (PC in standby) I do not have the option to close the function when I activate the PC. I cannot close the tab and the tab will remain in the Active Task Bar until I reboot the PC.

I have come to understand this is a bug in ZA and will be addressed someday in the far off future. The problem with someday is that real estate on the Task Bar is very limited, and when I have several programs open performing several different tasks the tabs on the task bar become very small and unreadable.

ZA is the only application I have on this PC that performs this error in closing, I have three additional applications that perform functions in the background while the PC is in standby and they do not leave their tab and icon behind and unable to close.

Is there some adjustment in ZA, Windows Registry, or somewhere else that will make ZA close its own tab when finished with background functions?

Is there some setting in ZA that will keep the user interface on screen when a background function is complete so I can close that function with the Exit button (X)? Case in point: When Classic Phone Tools receives a FAX message it processes the incoming FAX with the User Interface on screen (it brings the PC out of Standby), when the FAX is finished the PC goes back into Standby, When I bring the PC out of Standby the FAX user interface is displayed and I can deal with the new FAX and completely close the Active Task Bar tab for the FAX application.

I know you (at ZA) have many more pressing issues to deal with than a user interface problem (keeping ahead of all the newest threats to our systems), but having to reboot 2 3 times a week just to keep a clean Task Bar is a pain in the Butt.

I hope this gets cleared up in the next version upgrade.

Respectfully,

Michael Gordon

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version: 6.5

<hr></blockquote>
    I have the same problem. Have you found a solution?

tonyarm Guest

Hi,I just acquired the same problem.Did you ever solve it? I am using ZASS V. 7....483

zafzap Guest

Good suggestions. You should note that the positions on the 'Task Bar' of the various 'Trays' are not necessarily fixed.
    . Unlocked, each tray has a &quot;handle&quot; that allows you to move it &amp; adjust it's size.
    . The Task Bar itself, has easily adjustable properties: un/lock, drag it to any edge of the screen, make it 'thick' or 'thin' by dragging the border (like a window), auto-hide, etc.
    . These give you more effective and flexible display real estate.

essiar Guest

Has this problem been addressed yet? After a once a week overnight scan, I wake up to find the Zonealarm tab in the active task tray with absolutely no method of removing it other than rebooting. Running the new Extreme Security Suite on XP sp3.
    Thanks!

Thread Information