Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't disable auto update ZA Pro 8.0.298.000

imu Guest

Default can't disable auto update ZA Pro 8.0.298.000

The automatic update feature tries to update several times a day even though I have it set to manual update.

I have disabled auto update for Anti-Spyware, turned Anti-Spyware off, and chosen to "check for updates" manually in the preferences section, and it is still happening.
    Any idea's about this?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
    Software Version: ZoneAlarm Pro 8.0.298.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: I don't Need all of the features in ZA Pro 8.0.298.000

If you don't want the Anti-Spyware Feature in ZA Pro..1.) I recomend that you Un-install ZA Pro, and Download and Install ZAFree,2.) It is Better to ONLY install the Version of ZoneAlarm that you Need, instead of Installing a Version with Features you don't want and Risk Conflict by Turning them Off and using some other Product that willstill conflict with the Turned Off Features of ZoneAlarm..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:983002543
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5785
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stevegu Guest

[QUOTE=GeorgeV;261774]If you don't want the Anti-Spyware Feature in ZA Pro..1.) I recomend that you Un-install ZA Pro, and Download and Install ZAFree,2.) It is Better to ONLY install the Version of ZoneAlarm that you Need, instead of Installing a Version with Features you don't want and Risk Conflict by Turning them Off and using some other Product that willstill conflict with the Turned Off Features of ZoneAlarm..

ok, but i am using zonealarm free

ZoneAlarm version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000

and have selected to only check manually for product updates - also to 'Alert me with a pop-up before i make contact" and i routinely (4-6 times throughout every day) get a pop-up asking me if i want to check for an update now - and i can't ask it in that pop-up to never check

i can allow this time, deny this time or always allow - i can't "never allow" or stop this rogue behavior

what more do i need to do than to set ZA free up for only manual update checking to have it not automatically check? find an old version? isn't it better to fix this version?

thx

stevegu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stevegu View Post

i can allow this time, deny this time or always allow - i can't "never allow" or stop this rogue behavior

what more do i need to do than to set ZA free up for only manual update checking to have it not automatically check? find an old version? isn't it better to fix this version?

thx
    The exact pop-up (which i shouldn't get since i already selected manual update and not automatic) language is:

The product identification for your current copy of Zonealarm is ready to be sent to Zonealarm to see if you have the latest version.

<checkbox> Don't alert me the next time I am about to send this information to Zonealarm

(buttons): [Do not send] [Send]

How do i not have to have this pop-up come up throughout the day without just allowing it to check for updates as it seems determined to do but as i have set it not to?

bagdadjeff Guest

Default Re: can't disable auto update ZA Pro 8.0.298.000

I have exactly the same problem on Windows XP SP3 with ZoneAlarm 8.0.298.000 Free.

I have turned "check for updates" to manually and I have checked "alert me with a pop-up before making contact". But several times a day a pop-up asks me whether to check for an update now (options: send or do not send).

Is there no way to turn automatic updates off? A solution would be truly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bagdadjeff View Post
    Is there no way to turn automatic updates off? A solution would be truly appreciated.
    Are you doing it while logged as administrator? This is usually the problem...

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

stevegu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post

Cheers,
    Fax
    doing what logged in as administrator? the ZA-free client is already installed and running - are you saying if i uninstall ZA and reinstall it as administrator, the manual update option i select will be honored?

otherwise, i am not sure what you mean by "doing it" as it seems that there is nothing else to do

thx

Hi!
    I am saying that if you are running on a limited user account or your system block changes to registry or file, the 'remember" commands in ZA will not be saved correctly and you will be prompted to update.

You should not be able to install ZA on a non adminitrator account. If you have done so, remove ZA and install on a account with FULL administrative privileges.

Cheers,
    Fax

bagdadjeff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Yes, the account I'm having has administrator rights. So it can't be that. I never had this problem with older versions of ZA

btw, thanks for your reply!

Then you should reset the corrupted ZA settings. These are the only two reasons for having this problem!

Cheers,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information