Thread: So Zone Alarm is why I can't use a key **bleep** AV 2008 feature! Workaround??

hys Guest

Default So Zone Alarm is why I can't use a key **bleep** AV 2008 feature! Workaround??

I've had **bleep** AV for almost four years now (v9, v10, and now v2008), and have never been able to enable the Scan Web (HTTP) traffic option. If I did, in any browser most websites would come up blank; some would come up slowly with strange-looking characters and formatting; and maybe only 20% would work OK. In addition, some of my Firefox bookmark icons would change permanently to weird icons unrelated to the site (e.g. squiggles for Yahoo, a bed for Weather Underground).

Today, I finally discovered that if I turn off my Zone Alarm Pro (an older version, 6.1), everything works fine with HTTP traffic scanning enabled in **bleep**. I checked the Windows XP built-in firewall, and there is no conflict there.

But I want to continue with my Zone Alarm Pro 6.1. As long as I have HTTP scanning off in **bleep**, they "play very nicely" together. But with the increasing number and sophistication of malware, e.g., virulent Trojans that completley bypass the browser cache, I really want to enable HTTP scanning in BD as well.

I have given high permission to all the **bleep** processes in ZA Pro. There MUST be some settings (probably in ZA) I could use which would permit me to continue with both programs, but still enable HTTP Scanning in **bleep** without wreaking havoc.

Any suggestions? Anyone using BD, including HTTP Scanning, successfully with ZA?

EDIT: As long as it bleeped out the name of the AV, I should point out that another AV I trialed -- but didn't like as much -- did NOT have a conflict with ZA even though HTTP scanning was enabled.

Thanks!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by HYS on 04-24-2009 02:30 AM

Default Re: So Zone Alarm is why I can't use a key **bleep** AV 2008 feature! Workaround??

<blockquote><hr>HYS wrote:
    I've had **bleep** AV for almost four years now (v9, v10, and now v2008), and have never been able to enable the Scan Web (HTTP) traffic option. If I did, in any browser most websites would come up blank; some would come up slowly with strange-looking characters and formatting; and maybe only 20% would work OK. In addition, some of my Firefox bookmark icons would change permanently to weird icons unrelated to the site (e.g. squiggles for Yahoo, a bed for Weather Underground).

Today, I finally discovered that if I turn off my Zone Alarm Pro (an older version, 6.1), everything works fine with HTTP traffic scanning enabled in **bleep**. I checked the Windows XP built-in firewall, and there is no conflict there.

But I want to continue with my Zone Alarm Pro 6.1. As long as I have HTTP scanning off in **bleep**, they "play very nicely" together. But with the increasing number and sophistication of malware, e.g., virulent Trojans that completley bypass the browser cache, I really want to enable HTTP scanning in BD as well.

I have given high permission to all the **bleep** processes in ZA Pro. There MUST be some settings (probably in ZA) I could use which would permit me to continue with both programs, but still enable HTTP Scanning in **bleep** without wreaking havoc.

Any suggestions? Anyone using BD, including HTTP Scanning, successfully with ZA?

EDIT: As long as it bleeped out the name of the AV, I should point out that another AV I trialed -- but didn't like as much -- did NOT have a conflict with ZA even though HTTP scanning was enabled.

Thanks!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

Message Edited by HYS on 04-24-2009 02:30 AM
    <hr></blockquote>

You posted at two other forums with the same question and never got an answer??
    Kind of makes you wonder if they check the other forums to see for duplication or triple posting and then not bother to answer?
    (by the way at the BD forum, did they not yet recommend to use the BD suite instead of a combo security setup?)

Kind of simple...it is not the ZA... instead it is the BD... your BD antivirus has web content and networking features that are considered to be 'firewalling' features.
    These 'firewalling' features conflict with third party software firewalls...using two firewalling applications/programs at the same time is the source of your issues.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: So Zone Alarm is why I can't use a key **bleep** AV 2008 feature! Workaround??

Oh... the ESET's NOD 32 WEb Scanner does not conflict with the ZA...becausethe NOD 32 is a pure port proxy (on the locahost) and does not do any web content or networking features that resemble a firewall.

Also the web scanners from Avira, Kaspersky, DR Web, and Ava5T work just fine with the ZA.

BD is notorious for this issue unless it is tweaked by the user... and I doubt they will change this any time soon as they intend to sell as many security suites as possible for their 'solution' to this issue.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-24-2009 11:09 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hys Guest

Thanks for the replies. I switched to a new AV soon afterward, so the issue became moot. But I still don't know how I managed to miss your replies -- sorry.

Regardless, your observations are interesting and could prove of use to others who run into the same issue. One of those cross-posts you mentioned elicited a &quot;guess&quot; which turned out to work in getting BD's HTTP scanning feature to work with ZA enabled: Disable the ZA privacy features entirely. This worked even though I had very few of the ZA privacy features enabled to begin with. But nothing in that workaround contradicts your observations.

Thread Information