Thread: CONFLICT WITH NORTON 2008 > remove Norton Worm protection

sidhu Guest

Default CONFLICT WITH NORTON 2008 > remove Norton Worm protection

hi,
    i am a new member of this community. but i using zone alarm pro for last 3 yr.s. i use zonealarm pro as a firewall and norton antivirus 2008. since last update of zonealarm everything was all right. since last update of zonealarm norton is giving a message saying " advanced firewall at risk" and turn on the
    firewall. but zonealarm is running well & doing it's job nicely. there is a big red cross sign over the norton icon
    on the taskbar. it is very annoying. somehow norton is not detecting it !!! i want my green right sign back on the task bar. what to do? i shutdown the zonealarm then again started it . but the same problem. can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? i need both in the same machine. for which i did not upgrade to norton 2009. i have read that they are incompatible. so i regularly update norton 2008 and quite happy with it. don't know what happened after zone's last update. i want both of them , can't sacrifice anyone. any idea?if i ignore the red cross , then everything is fine. i know that both programs are running well. but that red cross is an eye sore.please help me out. many many thanks.
    regards,sidhu

Default Re: CONFLICT WITH NORTON 2008

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..
    If you would Describe your Computer Setup/OS and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with
    and what difficulty you are having, and what Previous Version of ZA and Norton, McAfee or other Security programs that you have installed,
    there are several knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..Please provide as much detail and error messages etc. that you see on your ComputerMonitor. ==============================NOTICE:Please note that ZASS and ZAXdo not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled). To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAX issues removethe other Security programsand install them back once you see that ZA works as it should. For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotS&D, PC tools Threat Fire, any otherAnti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...b.) some Computer Users think that if one Firewall and Anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better?That is very Bad, They will Block or Conflict with each other, resulting in Less Security

6.)- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. <HR>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time. --------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:983722715
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200904.5815
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sidhu Guest

Default Re: CONFLICT WITH NORTON 2008 (DETAILS GIVEN)

hi,thanks GeorgeV,
    i'm extremely sorry that i did not give any details. it is windows xp pro service pack 2. antivirus : norton antivirus 2008 &amp; firewall : zonealarm pro.as far as i know norton antivirus does not have any built in firewall. so since installation i never had any problem. norton always detected zonealarm as firewall. whenever i shutdown zonealarm temporarily for some purpose norton always sounded alarm that i have turned off my firewall, my computer is at risk. that means that both are not doing the same thing.
    after update of zonealarm it's details are:
    zonealarm pro version 8.0.298.000
    true vector security engine version 8.0.298.000
    driver version 8.0.298.000
    anti-spyware engine version 5.0.209.0,DAT file version 01.200904.5815
    previously it's version was something 7.0.... i didn't remember because many a times i updated it, never faced any problem. i know that two programs doing the same thing is not at all desirable. i think that does not apply to my case.
    many many thanks,
    regards,
    sidhu

Thank you for providing more details about your Computer and Windows version..----------------------ZoneAlarm7.0 for XP was designed to work with SP2,ZoneAlarm8.0 for XP was designed to work Best with SP3However ZAP 8.0 will install on WinXP Sp2..There are numerous Security Leaks found in WinXP SP2 that were found and Fixed with SP3..

<B class=headblack2>System Requirements for ZoneAlarm Products:[/B]Vista (32-bit): <UL><LI>Pentium III 800 MHz or higher <LI>Minimum system RAM: 512 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]Windows XP Operating System: <UL><LI>Pentium III 450 MHz or higher <LI>XP Service Packs 2 and 3 <LI>Minimum system RAM: 128 MB <LI>50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.</LI>[/list]NOTICE: No Security Software run on WinXP Sp2 can protect you from the Windows Security Flaws found in Windows SP2that were Fix with Windows SP3, until you upgrade to SP3....--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    GeorgeV

sidhu Guest

many many thanks GeorgeV. that means that i have to install SP3 to get rid of that red cross sign and norton will again detect zonealarm as firewall. if so, i'll definitely try it out.
    regards

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>sidhu wrote:
    many many thanks GeorgeV. that means that i have to install SP3 to get rid of that red cross sign and norton will again detect zonealarm as firewall. if so, i'll definitely try it out.regards
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for your Progress report..One more Precaution..it is Best that your Uninstall ZoneAlarm First.. as Windows XP SP3 install lots of Security Fixes that mat conflict with ZoneAlarm..Once Win XP SP3 is installed, Check Windows Updates for more Updates issued after SP3,Once that is complete and Computer is Rebooted, then you can Re-Install ZoneAlarm 8.0.298.035Please post back with your progress report..--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    GeorgeV

Default Re: CONFLICT WITH NORTON 2008

If I may, Another thought about this problem.... Norton Antivirus 2008 has an Internet Worm Protection feature that basically can be considered an inbound firewall function. There may be an unhealthy interaction between your Internet Worm protection program in Norton and your Zonealarm firewall similar to running two firewalls at the same time. Try turning off the Norton Internet worm Protection in Norton. It is not needed because your Zonealarm firewall is a better inbound protection firewall than this Internet Worm Protection and it may be the cause of your problem.

Message Edited by ledoc on 05-06-2009 04:33 PM

Thread Information