Thread: Is Zonealarm uninstalling itself?

tiger_greeneyes Guest

Default Is Zonealarm uninstalling itself?

I've tried searching but can't find an answer on this.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with 32bit Vista. I have various security programmes - avg, spybot, spywareblaster, norton (which came with the laptop and my year runs out this month) and lavasoft adaware. I've used zonealarm's free firewall for many years but it appears to uninstall itself (or something uninstalls it) shortly after I've redownloaded and reinstalled it. It generally doesn't take much to confuse me but I've used computers for 20+ years and has me completely stumped. I've always run this firewall with the other programmes - except for norton - but for some reason, norton appears to be not starting itself, despite it being in the start up.

Ordinarily I'd assume it's a conflict but I've never come across a conflict that behaves this way before.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

tiger_greeneyes Guest

Default Re: Is Zonealarm uninstalling itself?

Just another point I've noticed - I use firefox and my "NoScript" addon has also vanished. I'm confused

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Is Zonealarm uninstalling itself- with Norton still installed?

Your laptop came with pre-installed security Norton Suite- firewall, anti-virus + extras, you also have AVG anti-virus, (Lavasoft - paid versions come with anti-virus, too, but I'm assuming you have just the free version) and now you've tried to install ZA firewall without 'properly un-installing Norton first)
    and Norton is not functioning too... hmm :0
    { if you step back and read your first post - &quot;except for norton&quot; provides one of the key clues}<hr>Maybe in the past some folks were able to have multiple firewalls or anti-virus (one being deactived at a time) with security software (anomalies); but today's security software is less forgiving. Sometimes having more security software; will produce only more 'software conflicts.' { in this
    forum I have personally come upon two cases where a user claims their ZA anti-virus suddenly disappeared/ greyed out/ stopped functioning??? later it was found they had Trend Suite and ZA Suite installed - sure shut-off/ deactivate
    one firewall or anti-virus, but in time - one will deactivate the other &gt; the 'unwritten rule' &gt; only one firewall, one anti-virus installed; 'properly' un-install one before installing a new one/ (deactivation is not enough).}
    <hr>Have you properly un-installed any previous firewall ?? = this needs to be done - please click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    { Please use any appropriate special 'Removal Tool' to un-install previous security
    software; as it does make a difference; even after using the normal 'add/remove'/ un-install procedures
    }. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software (trial software), which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZA firewall product.
    Just One, Not Two -- Never use two
    'software firewalls'
    at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool'
    or if not available use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. You can add/ use a 'hardware firewall' included
    in a
    Wired Router, Wireless Router or Broadband Gateway with your ZoneAlarm firewall.

At a minimum, home computers need to have personal soft-firewall and anti-malware software installed and kept up-to-date to find and remove viruses, spyware, Trojans and other malware. A home network that uses a wired or wireless router with firewall (hard-firewall)
    features provides additional protection.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool'
    or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.[*][*]Caution: Many of today's hybrid anti-spyware software may now include anti-virus protection; be aware they may conflict with your main anti-virus software. Please read the details of your chosen anti-spyware protection. New hybrid &quot;Anti-spyware with Anti-virus software&quot;
    :
    like Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware or PCTools SpywareDoctor with Integrated AntiVirus, or SunbeltSoftware CounterSpy with VIPRE, PCTools ThreatFire, paid versions of
    Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Plus + Ad-Aware Pro,
    etc.<hr>Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73798<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]

and click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73617<hr>My suggestions: properly un-install Norton - use their Norton
    Removal Tool.
    (before un-installing go to all of Norton's options and shut-off all their modules/ options, like worm-protection= which has firewall properties that does conflict with ZA firewalls.)-
    use ZA Removal Tool to un-install any left over corrupted ZA- use IE (or if you really must use firefox with 'no script- off), better results with IE to install ZA- install ZA firewall, if you see my link 73617 - you have the choice between the 8.0.298 or 8.0.065 - - if you wish you may power down/ shut down or un-install some of the other security software that you have listed; may be good to shut-off Ad-Aware and Spybot (be aware the 'Tea-Timer' may need to be shut-off - as it can conflict with ZA and others) [Ad-Aware - assuming it's the free version - shut-off Ad-Watch or any other 'real-time protection features/ modules'] {if the AVG has any 'real-time' protection/ guards/ watches - these, too may hinder proper install of ZA firewalls...may need to shut them off}<hr>

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 05-12-2009 11:19 PM

tiger_greeneyes Guest

Default Re: Is Zonealarm uninstalling itself? with Norton still installed?

Hi NaiveMelody - thank you so much for your kind help, I'm going to follow your recommendations to the letter and see what happens

Thread Information