Thread: [SOLVED] Use of Passcrypt password protection software --> Not ZA related

hgreintges Guest

Default [SOLVED] Use of Passcrypt password protection software --> Not ZA related

I have just upgraded to Zone Alarm Extreme Security. I discovered that it would not allow me to use my Passcrypt software that allows me to generate and store all my logon ID's and password. I normally paste them for my secure sites and use it to store all my passwords to help my memory although I type the most common used for regular web sites I visit frequently. I would like to set Extreme Security to ignore use of Passcrypt operation but protect me when I do not use it but no option seems to be available for this setting. If not possible is use of Extreme Security's protection against keystroke loggers and other forms of password theft better than use of software like Passcrypt.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: Use of Passcrypt password protection software

<blockquote><hr>hgreintges wrote:
    I have just upgraded to Zone Alarm Extreme Security. I discovered that it would not allow me to use my Passcrypt software that allows me to generate and store all my logon ID's and password. I normally paste them for my secure sites and use it to store all my passwords to help my memory although I type the most common used for regular web sites I visit frequently. I would like to set Extreme Security to ignore use of Passcrypt operation but protect me when I do not use it but no option seems to be available for this setting. If not possible is use of Extreme Security's protection against keystroke loggers and other forms of password theft better than use of software like Passcrypt.

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

<hr></blockquote>

You should be able to use both the ZA keylogger protection and the passcrypt software together.
    Open the ZA and open the Programs listing.
    Right click the passcrypt programs listed and open the Options.
    In the first tab shown, check the first two items listed in the Options and then Apply and OK.
    Then give the passcrypt program listed the 'Super' trust rating (three green bars) in the Trust column and make sure these programs have both trusted access and trusted server rights given or the blue checks marks.
    Then set the Program Control slider to medium or the middle level to help train the ZA for the passcrypt.
    Then reboot windows.
    The problem should be now fixed and now timmediately try out the password software to see if it works properly.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hgreintges Guest

Thanks for your response. I followed your directions and it still locks up. When I try to paste my ID in the sign in window on this page I get an error window saying Passcrpt has a problem and the system locks so cursor will not move. I use a &quot;ctrl+alt+del&quot; to open manager. This action seems to free up the cursor. Shortly after the icon for passcrpt disappears so program has crashed. One question about your instructions program control slider to mid postion? This is the &quot;auto-learn&quot; position? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your response. I followed your directions and it still locks up. When I try to paste my ID in the sign in window on this page I get an error window saying Passcrpt has a problem and the system locks so cursor will not move. I use a "ctrl+alt+del" to open manager. This action seems to free up the cursor. Shortly after the icon for passcrpt disappears so program has crashed. One question about your instructions program control slider to mid postion? This is the "auto-learn" position? Any other ideas?
    <hr></blockquote>

Okay then, try this method to disable the ZA keyboard and mouse protection:

Keyboard and mouse hook which are watched by the ZA can be disabled within the ZA's backup.xml (sorry no gui interface must be done manually).
    But it is a global switch for the hooks attempts that is either an On or Off setting, with no particular arrangements per specific programs.

Open the ZA and create a backup .xml configuration file.
    Open the new file with the notepad.exe (not the internet explorer).
    Scroll down to the .....

&lt;/imsecure&gt;
    &lt;applications securityLevel="high" alertOnBlock="true" denyAskIfNoUI="true" tempAllowRequiresAuth="true" moduleTracking="true" clearoldEntries="true" disableParentCheck="false" disableProcProtect="false" disableKeyboardMouseProtection="false" askOnListen="true" disableAdvProgProtect="false" enableOpenProcess="true" programDisplay="custom" enableCBP="false" disableSendMessageProtect="false" disableDNSProtect="false" askUser="false" programAdvisor="off" PAGUID="" askPA="false" osfwSetting="true" osfwEnable="true" CurrentRunMode="high" DefaultRunMode="high" RunModeRevertDate=" "&gt;&lt;osfirewall majorVersion="1" minorVersion="15"&gt;
    &lt;rulegroup name="protourfiles"&gt;

and change the disableKeyboardMouseProtection="false" to disableKeyboardMouseProtection="true"

Then, Ok the change to the file when closing, and then restore the newly edited file back into the ZA.
    Then reboot to finalize the change in the ZA.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hgreintges Guest

You wrote

&quot;Okay then, try this method to disable the ZA keyboard and mouse protection:

Keyboard and mouse hook which are watched by the ZA can be disabled within the ZA's backup.xml (sorry no gui interface must be done manually).
    But it is a global switch for the hooks attempts that is either an On or Off setting, with no particular arrangements per specific programs.&quot;

hgreintges Guest

Sorry about the extra message I was trying to quote part of the message.

But it is a global switch for the hooks attempts that is either an On or Off setting, with no particular arrangements per specific programs.

I can understand what you wrote and am able to do it but am concerned that the process will lower my protection below just leaving the protection off in which case PassCrpt works fine. What problems to I open myself up too if I stop ZA from protecting the keyboard and mouse? I am not concerned with the people who have access to my PC directly only access attempts coming from the Internet or from possible items that get through my protection. In other words: Is the procedure you suggest any better than just not running &quot;block programs that secrely record your keystrokes.

Sorry about the extra message I was trying to quote part of the message.

I can understand what you wrote and am able to do it but am concerned that the process will lower my protection below just leaving the protection off in which case PassCrpt works fine. What problems to I open myself up too if I stop ZA from protecting the keyboard and mouse? I am not concerned with the people who have access to my PC directly only access attempts coming from the Internet or from possible items that get through my protection. In other words: Is the procedure you suggest any better than just not running "block programs that secrely record your keystrokes.
    <hr></blockquote>

Oh okay.
    Technically, the antivirus should detect and stop the garden variety types of keylogger malware and troyans.
    So if there were any kind of this malware the antivirus should alone be able to stop it and protect the windows.
    I could see some of the rootkits evading the antivirus protection and then performing hooks or keylogger attempts.

You could suppliment the keyboard and mouse hooks security by using an additional antikeylogger such as the freeware SnoopFree Privacy Shield for just one example.
    Note.... the snoop free will detect the ZA for doing keyboard hooks attempts so allow the hooks by the ZA if you do try the snoop free after first trying out the adjustment/suggestion to the ZA.

Myself, I use SSM (safety system monitor) Pro for keylogger protections as it cover more areas and more indepth coverage such as low level disk access, memory access and screen access attempts, not just keyboard and mouse hook attempts. But unfortunately the vendor had closed a few months ago and the product is no longer available.
    The product itself does not need any updates (or upgrades) to perform the security job and is strictly used arranged and has real no autoconfiguring feature other than a learning mode
    Plus the SSM is to difficult to properly use for most users (not bragging, just saying like it is) as it is entirely manually configured and it is a total coverage product for not just keyloggers, but protection for troyans. spyware, adware, viruses, rootkits, worms and other types of malware. Even covers outbound networking control for applications and files (and yes the networking filtering works perfectly along side with any third party software firewall) along with extensive driver, library, file and folder, and registry protections.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 05-14-2009 11:57 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hgreintges Guest

Smile Re: Use of Passcrypt password protection software

Found out why it is happening and it has nothing to do with ZA. Turns out my browser Firefox is the problem for some reason. Changing to Chrome fixes it.
    ZA is NOT the problem

Sorry about that

Quote Originally Posted by hgreintges View Post
    Found out why it is happening and it has nothing to do with ZA. Turns out my browser Firefox is the problem for some reason. Changing to Chrome fixes it.
    ZA is NOT the problem

Sorry about that
    Your Welcome..

Thank you for your Feedback..

I'll now close this thread since your issue has been Fixed.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information