Thread: Something's busy but don't know what

ditryin Guest

Default Something's busy but don't know what

I just installed a new version of Zone Alarm (Virus scan) along with Force Field (got two malwares in the last 4 days - had to get serious about protecting myself!) about two hours ago and ever since I finished installing them, something was been working the Internet like mad. I haven't seen the ZA logo, just it flickering that something's chit-chatting away online.

I tried to chat with tech support, but I think I know more about ZA than that guy did so here I am...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had ZA for years and it never did this unless some program was downloading something, etc. and then it would go back to the ZA logo. This has been going full speed for 2-1/2 hours! Even while the browser window was closed. It's hogging all my resources so everything is crawling which is making me nuts!!

I even tried rebooting hoping that would interrupt whatever's going on but in went right back at it.

I ran a malware remover and another virus scan last night so my computer should be cootie-free now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Something's busy but don't know what

<blockquote><hr>DiTryin wrote:
    I just installed a new version of Zone Alarm (Virus scan) along with Force Field (got two malwares in the last 4 days - had to get serious about protecting myself!) about two hours ago and ever since I finished installing them, something was been working the Internet like mad. I haven't seen the ZA logo, just it flickering that something's chit-chatting away online.

I tried to chat with tech support, but I think I know more about ZA than that guy did so here I am...

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had ZA for years and it never did this unless some program was downloading something, etc. and then it would go back to the ZA logo. This has been going full speed for 2-1/2 hours! Even while the browser window was closed. It's hogging all my resources so everything is crawling which is making me nuts!!

I even tried rebooting hoping that would interrupt whatever's going on but in went right back at it.

I ran a malware remover and another virus scan last night so my computer should be cootie-free now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus

<hr></blockquote>

Hard to say what is going on until you have a look at the firewall and program logs in the Log Viewer of the ZA.
    There should be some indication of the activity.
    My own quick and unqualified answer (based on lack of information at the moment and therfore pure speculation) is that the connections are occuring on the localhost or there is constant updating for some program.
    Windows itself can networking log activity for you for short periods of time:[*]Open the window's command.[*]Type "netstat -b 5 > activity.txt" and press enter. (Then run an application such as a browser or an updater, wait till it is finished ....or in your special case just wait), then press Ctrl+C.[*]Type "activity.txt" on the command line to open the log file in the notepad.

The file activity.txt will create a log of all process that made a connection to the Internet. The log will include all processes involved and all IPs and such.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ditryin Guest

Oh, sweet! I didn't think to look at the logs in ZA.

Found the culprit! It's called pcdib32.exe and it's constantly trying to contact different mail sites (hotmail, verizon.net, etc) and ZA is blocking it.

Yack! I just ran all those scan programs to clean all the cooties out last night. Looks like I need to run ZA's virus scan and maybe it'll find and remove the little devil.

Thanks a bunch!

You know... ZA should offer you a job as a tech-support chat dude since you were w-a-a-a-y more helpful than the guy I got earlier. :-D

<blockquote><hr>DiTryin wrote:
    Oh, sweet! I didn't think to look at the logs in ZA.

Found the culprit! It's called pcdib32.exe and it's constantly trying to contact different mail sites (hotmail, verizon.net, etc) and ZA is blocking it.

Yack! I just ran all those scan programs to clean all the cooties out last night. Looks like I need to run ZA's virus scan and maybe it'll find and remove the little devil.

Thanks a bunch!

You know... ZA should offer you a job as a tech-support chat dude since you were w-a-a-a-y more helpful than the guy I got earlier. :-D
    <hr></blockquote>

OOps that is malware.
    Guess the ZA was doing the firewalling job for you still by blocking it.
    Try this advice for extra removal helps and to help ensure the windows is clean.

Thanks for the compliments - I like you already!
    Probably they hired new chat people who have no real experience or have not read the support manual (wish I had a copy of that manual!)
    But anybody with any firewall experience should first say lets check the logs and see what is happening - especially the paid support people.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information