Thread: Firefox doesn't retain settings with ZA ESS

eduardo_b Guest

Default Firefox doesn't retain settings with ZA ESS

I have the latest version of ZA ESS, having recently switched from a competing product suite, and with either Firefox v2.x or 3.x none of the settings are retained, such as home page, theme or dialogue window choices about default browser and closing tabs. This has never been an issue with any other AV/AS programs even when using the free version of the ZA firewall. Anyone aware of this issue or can point me to the source of the problem? I use Opera as my default, Firefox for those sites that don't run correctly in Opera, and IE only when no other browser is supported.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Firefox doesn't retain settings with ZA ESS

Hi!what is ZA ESS? Right click on the ZA icon near the clock --> about --> copy to clipboard --> paste it in a replyCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eduardo_b Guest

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.298.035
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.035
    Driver version:8.0.298.035
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:986350012
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6085
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0

Ok, Better... you had an 'S' more. :8}Anyway is normally called ZAX.Some basic rules to follow.1. Never update Firefox or its add-on while in a protected session. Updates will only install in the virtual data and will be erased or get corrupted easily.2. Always turn OFF ZA forcefield when you have to update your web browser or any components added to the browser.3. If you want settings in firefox to be kept you need to turn off forcefield before setting them.4. Clearing thevirtual data in ForceField will erase anything contained in the virtual data including any ad-hoc setting you applied to web browsers and add-on while in protected modeTurn OFF ZA browser security and:Proceed to reset your firefox profile, see the procedure here:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=1108Turn ON ZA browser securityThen open ZoneAlarm, click Browser Security and go to Settings -> Advanced. Turn Virtualization ON

- Close all browsers
    - Open ZoneAlarm
    - Click Browser Security -> Settings
    - Click Advanced tab
    - Clear virtual data and click okayOpen Firefox and test...Cheers,FaxBTW: you should update to the latest ZAX version 8.0.400.020. http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...400_020_en.exe

Message Edited by fax on 06-10-2009 09:26 PM

eduardo_b Guest

Thanks so much for the detailed reply.

Sorry about the extra S. Tried to save my modest typing skills from more grief. ZAX it is. :-)

I didn't realize that Force Field was so, ah, forceful. :-) I'll follow your instructions and return if I have any questions.

Oddly, I clicked on check for updates and it came back that everything is current. I'll do a manual update.

Regards.

You're welcome!Report back about the progress. Fully resetting FireFox profile should be enough to fix the issue.For a smooth operation of your browser clean the forcefield virtual data from time to time depending on the extent of use of your broswer.Cheers,Fax

Thread Information