Thread: Issues after upgrade to ZAISS v8.0.400.020

goat_man Guest

Default Issues after upgrade to ZAISS v8.0.400.020

I recently installed the latest version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v8.0.400.020 after cleanly uninstalling the previous version.

I have Program Control set to Maximum and under Custom Program Control Settings I have enabled: Advanced Program Control, Application Interaction Control and the newly added Services Control. I like to know exactly what's happening on my PC and have never had any problem resulting from enabling these advanced options in the past.

After updating the Anti-virus/spyware definitions, I will often receive an alert stating that a program is trying to unload the driver: KLIF. This alert seems to occur after an update has completed and I have opened any program shortly before (ie. Firefox). I have consistently reproduced the alert with several different programs in this manner, but it also seems to happen at random as well. I also have had a alert, randomly just after login, stating that a program (the one I have open at the time) is trying to modify the service or driver: BITS. However, if I disable Services Control and restart, these issues do not seem to occur.

I believe the KLIF driver is part of the Kaspersky Anti-virus engine used by ZoneAlarm itself and BITS is the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, a legitimate Windows Service.

Another minor, probably non-issue I have experienced is: after ZoneAlarm has updated its Anti-virus/spyware definitions it leaves a connection open to the update server which never seems to properly close. Here is the read out from TCPView:

vsmon.exe:1212 TCP my-pc:1038 a150-101-98-86.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com:http CLOSE_WAIT

The remote address is what kav.zonelabs.com resolves to on my machine.

These issues began after upgrading to the new version on both of my PCs. I have scanned my computers thoroughly for malware and everything appears to be clean. Are these problems only minor glitches or should I be more concerned? Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Issues after upgrade to ZAISS v8.0.400.020

Hi!thank for the detailed description of the issue. Please report this directly to ZA technical support, so they can troubleshoot your issue. Link in my signature.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information