Thread: Can't share printer > add both IP of the router and of the laptop as trusted into the

gamemaster Guest

Default Can't share printer > add both IP of the router and of the laptop as trusted into the

Hi, ZA appears to not allow me to share a printer. I have a printer plugged into my main computer which is also the same computer that ZA is installed on. I also have a laptop which uses the printer that is plugged into my main computer through the printer sharing. Ever since I installed ZA on the main computer, it isn't allowing the laptop to connect to it so it can print. I have the Trusted Zone Security set to Medium which says it allows printer sharing, but the laptop is still blocked from accessing my computer. ZA is blocking NetBIOS Sessions, and TCP Ports, which I'm not entirely sure what they are for.

-Mike

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by Gamemaster on 06-27-2009 02:31 PM

Default Re: Can't share printer...

Place the laptop's IP into the firewall of the computer (which has the ZA installed) into the Zones of the Firewall as Trusted.
    Then reboot and see how it goes.
    (with the router, when you get one, add both IP of the router and of the laptop as trusted into the zones and the printer will work for both).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gamemaster Guest

Hi again, should I add the IP to both ZA and Windows Firewall, or just ZA?

-Mike

zaswing Guest

In addition to adding the laptop's IP (and router if used) into the zones tab which is a must, in ZA Spoolsv.exe might need permission to the trusted zone - just give it 2 checks from the left on the programs list tab.
    You can add spoolsvc to the Windows firewall if not already there, but limit the scope to the LAN.

However, DO NOT RUN the ZA firewall AND the windows firewall at the same time. Windows firewall has to be off, ASAP Surprised it is still on since during installation ZA shuts it off. If not, review various buttons behind the panels and look for a check where to tell ZA to shut off windows firewall.

gamemaster Guest

How do I add an IP to ZA (sorry I'm new to this) and where can I find Spoolsv.exe to add to ZA.

-Mike

zaswing Guest

Hi new person, we've all been there

Click Firewall, and Zones, and there'll be a list of IPs. And each item will say Trusted or Internet. Add IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx of the laptop using a button which adds things and select trusted in the zones column (in free version trusted is the only option anyway).
    Fill in the details as you add - description could be MyLaptop, and I don't mean for you to type those xxx things. You need to find out what the IP of the laptop is.
    On the other hand, if you see Adapter subnet - you can enter IP range for most of the network such as 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 if router is in the picture which we don't know if it is.

Programs - click Program control. There will be a list of programs which ZA detected at the time of installation. So click on each, which is few in ZA free since it doesn't do component checks. Watch the bottom of the screen - at some point you'll see spoolsv.exe - it actually might be called Spooler Subsystem Application in the list proper. Just give it 2 checks from the left. I hope some of this rambling can be of help, if not, Guru Oldsod, we hope will pitch in

gamemaster Guest

<blockquote><hr>zaswing wrote:
    Hi new person, we've all been there

Click Firewall, and Zones, and there'll be a list of IPs. And each item will say Trusted or Internet. Add IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx of the laptop using a button which adds things and select trusted in the zones column (in free version trusted is the only option anyway).
    Fill in the details as you add - description could be MyLaptop, and I don't mean for you to type those xxx things. You need to find out what the IP of the laptop is.
    On the other hand, if you see Adapter subnet - you can enter IP range for most of the network such as 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 if router is in the picture which we don't know if it is.

Programs - click Program control. There will be a list of programs which ZA detected at the time of installation. So click on each, which is few in ZA free since it doesn't do component checks. Watch the bottom of the screen - at some point you'll see spoolsv.exe - it actually might be called Spooler Subsystem Application in the list proper. Just give it 2 checks from the left. I hope some of this rambling can be of help, if not, Guru Oldsod, we hope will pitch in
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks! I followed everything you said, and printer sharing is working again. One more question, some programs I uninstalled from Add/Remove programs still appear in ZA's program list. How can I get rid of these, or will they go away on their own?

Thanks,
    Mike

zaswing Guest

Good news. Thanks for posting back.

We all wish the removed programs as well as various installers would go away.
    They do not.
    Go to the programs list again.
    Click on the item you want to remove, read at the bottom to confirm and delete - perhaps right click has delete.
    You can review a bunch, and then select several (ctrl-click, like in explorer) and delete many at one time.
    Deleted something you didn't mean to? Don't worry. Next time it's used, ZA will nicely bring it back and you'll just need to verify your checkmarks.
    Good luck.

gamemaster Guest

<blockquote><hr>zaswing wrote:
    Good news. Thanks for posting back.

We all wish the removed programs as well as various installers would go away.
    They do not.
    Go to the programs list again.
    Click on the item you want to remove, read at the bottom to confirm and delete - perhaps right click has delete.
    You can review a bunch, and then select several (ctrl-click, like in explorer) and delete many at one time.
    Deleted something you didn't mean to? Don't worry. Next time it's used, ZA will nicely bring it back and you'll just need to verify your checkmarks.
    Good luck.
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks again, right clicking on the program did have a Remove option.

Thread Information