Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SmartDefense Advisor?

gamemaster Guest

Default SmartDefense Advisor?

First of all, does SmartDefense Advisor come with ZA Free?

It never seems to give me a recommendation, the Identification always says "Not available in ZoneAlarm". It always shows the message "Want to have fewer alerts?" and gives me a link that says "Find out how"... why isn't the SmartDefense Advisor giving me recommendations on what to do?

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm (Free)

Message Edited by Gamemaster on 06-30-2009 09:39 AM

Message Edited by Gamemaster on 06-30-2009 09:46 AM

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: SmartDefense Advisor?

Look under Compare All Products / Safe & Easy.Click to expand.SmartDefense Advisor not
    included in Free ZoneAlarm.

At this link :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-software.htm

Have a nice Day

gamemaster Guest

Oh, ok thanks for clearing that up.

Charles_B Guest

I have never used the ZA Free. Started with ZAP 3.0 and moved up to ZoneAlarm Security Suite after that.Behind a router also.

If you want to learn more about the commercial versions of ZoneAlarm download the Ver. 8 User Guide.Download & read if you want to.

At this link :

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/me...ser_manual.pdf

Have a nice Day

zaswing Guest

On Jan15,2009, ZA free v8.0.065.000 on XP had SmartAdvisor. I seriously doubt it vanished since then, though everything is possible.
    Please see this pic proof taken when I used it
    http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6291/...dvisorfree.png

The only thing it wants is permitting Opera (or any browser you use) out to the internet if it is not yet permitted.

Message Edited by zaswing on 06-30-2009 11:03 PM

gamemaster Guest

No, what I'm talking about is this, http://cdn.rsys1.net/ig.rsys1.net/re.../zoneAlarm.gif

Look where it says SmartDefense Advisor, there is a traffic light type thing, with a recommendation, ZA Free doesn't offer that.

<blockquote><hr>Gamemaster wrote:
    No, what I'm talking about is this, http://cdn.rsys1.net/ig.rsys1.net/re.../zoneAlarm.gif

Look where it says SmartDefense Advisor, there is a traffic light type thing, with a recommendation, ZA Free doesn't offer that.
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes but you are showing in your gif is not the true SmartDefense of the ZoneAlarm which is seen in the ZA free history

Smart Defense Advisor is seen as being included in the ZA free Release History.

Mentioned as quote:

"ZoneAlarm version 8.0.298.000
    [*]Vista 64-bit compatible[*]Improved performance during computer startup, shutdown and operation[*]Addressed specific stability and quality issues[*]SmartDefense Advisor (automatic program configuration service) improved to provide more secure, quieter operation"

Unquote.

What does the gif show then if it is not displaying the 'SmartDefense Advisor?
    It shows the "Alert Advisor"...and that is basically is a form of advisor for the ZA paid users as seen in the ZoneAlarm Alerts, but this is not the true sense of the Smart Defense.

Even though it is called 'smartdefense' in the seen alerts.
    And in your gif:

is actually showing the 'Program Alert Advisor" because this is a Program Alert and thus it is a Program Alert Advisor.

Besides the Program Alert Advisor, there is the Firewall Alert Advisor.
    However the Firewall Alert Advisor is only seen the in the ZoneAlarms Firewall Alerts.

Myself, I never have any real use for the 'SmartDefense' and always shut this feature off in the ZoneAlarm's installation instead of disabling it in the ZoneAlarm's GUI...along with always disabling both Firewall and Program Alert Advisors (disabled in the zone alarm's data files).
    I have no real use for either the Firewall or the Program Alert Advisors.
    I find both out of date or completely lacking in any valuable useable advice...besides I have the alerts and the situation well in hand and under control...from years of experience and learning.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-01-2009 12:26 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gamemaster Guest

Oh, ok, thanks again!

-Mike

You are very welcome.

Just remember the Alert Advisors are only functional in the paid subscription versions as part of the 'complete package' of the SmartDefense.
    This is where the smart defense differs from the paid and free subscription models. Or at least part of the area, not the complete difference.
    Whereas the SmartDefense in the free versions is only capable of assisting in setting of the access and servers in the ZA's Program Control panel.

Best Regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Gamemaster wrote:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry.. But when you chose the FREE version.. you get fewer Features..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information