Thread: Deleted post RE: ZA constant drive access?

a_blinkin Guest

Default Deleted post RE: ZA constant drive access?

It appears my question regarding ZA's drive usage was deleted? What on earth for?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: Deleted post RE: ZA constant drive access?

THis link may explain the reaason..

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...d=84656#M84656

a_blinkin Guest

Wow. I didn't realize simply saying that I would cease using ZoneAlarm and annoyed with it due to the issue that I am having was considered "bad mouthing" the product. I didn't rant, swear or demean the product in any way, though I did convey that I was annoyed with the actions of the product. If I recall correctly, in the very same post I said that I LIKED ZoneAlarm and wished to continue using it.

As usual, intent and emotion does not convey in typed text, and interpretation is up to the reader. I'm sure you get plenty of 14 year olds in here saying everything bad they possibly can about the product they are using for free. I'm not one of them.

All the same, per the link you offered I guess I still have some hope of assistance.

So with all due respect:

Is there an issue with ZoneAlarm that makes Zlclient.exe constantly access **bleep**.dat? It happens once every second, you can time it against a clock. Due to this issue, my computer will not allow the HDDs to spin down and sleep when the computer is not in use, and makes for a lot of wear and tear on the drive. It was doing this with my previous installation of XP on this computer, and is doing it again with a fresh install of XP on the same computer. I thought it was the anti-virus program causing it, but I've switched AV software since the re-install and set both to ignore these files and had the same result.

Any suggestions?

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>A-blinkin wrote:

So with all due respect:

Is there an issue with ZoneAlarm that makes Zlclient.exe constantly access **bleep**.dat? It happens once every second, you can time it against a clock. Due to this issue, my computer will not allow the HDDs to spin down and sleep when the computer is not in use, and makes for a lot of wear and tear on the drive. It was doing this with my previous installation of XP on this computer, and is doing it again with a fresh install of XP on the same computer. I thought it was the anti-virus program causing it, but I've switched AV software since the re-install and set both to ignore these files and had the same result.

Any suggestions?
    <hr>

it sounds like
    1.) you have a Bad install of ZAFree..
    or 2.) Conflict with other Security Software or Malware causing ZAclient to contantly scan you computer..
    b.) some Computer Users think

that if one Firewall and Anti-Virus is good, two or three different ones running at the same time must be better?
    That is very Bad, They will Block or Conflict with each other, resulting in Less Security

have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product.
    <hr>

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. <hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two Anti-virus products at the same time.
    =================================
    3.) Download the Latest

installer:

(
    preferably with IE Browser
    and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, BitTorrent
    )
    (MultiPlatform,
    installer will install on Both WinXP and Vista)

ZAFree
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    4.)
    On your current ZA, UNcheck &quot;Load ZA... at startup&quot; (under Overview --&gt; Preferences tab)
    5.)
    Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

6.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here &gt; http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Save to desktop, right click and &quot;run as administrator&quot;
    7.) Install the new update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    </blockquote>Does ZA Free work better now?
    ZoneAlarm
    8.0 for XP was designed to work Best with SP3
    There are numerous Security Leaks found in WinXP SP2 that were found and Fixed with SP3..

System Requirements for
    ZoneAlarm Products:
    Vista (32-bit):<ul>[*]Pentium III 800 MHz or higher[*]Minimum system RAM: 512 MB[*]50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.[/list]Windows XP Operating System:<ul>[*]Pentium III 450 MHz or higher[*]XP Service Packs 2 and 3[*]Minimum system RAM: 128 MB[*]50MB of available hard disk space. Internet access.[/list]
    NOTICE: No Security Software run on WinXP Sp2 can protect you from the Windows Security Flaws found in Windows SP2
    that were Fix with Windows SP3, until you upgrade to SP3....

---------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:987924743
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200907.6175
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Also see if setting the *.dat file as an exception in the AV resident scanner helps reduce or resolve the constant hdd activity.
    (this is not a security risk as the *.dat file is just a data file not a code or executible file.)
    I usually do this and also set as exceptions the *.ldb and *.rdb and tvdebug.log and any other *.logs as exceptions into the resident antivirus scanner.
    (again this are only data files not executibles files so no risk).

If the *.dat file is constantly being written to or read, then is a ZA issue.
    Often a misconfiguration or bad install is to blame.
    Prof_Fate's advice should be followed.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

See if a complete disk check and hdd defrag helps the situation.
    Sometimes a windows system file check helps too.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

a_blinkin Guest

Thank you Oldsod and Prof_Fate for the suggestions. I really do appreciate the help. I followed your instructions exactly (except for the defrag, I haven't had time to let the computer sit idle long enough to do a good job) from the shutting down of ZoneAlarm, the reboot, removal, reboot, reinstallation, reboot, and allowing it to learn automatically.

There is, and always has been, only one anti-virus and firewall on this computer at a time. Never doubled-up.

Unfortunately, it did not solve the problem. Here is a small sample of the activity:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j8...cool/pic-1.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, tried to post an image but I guess no html/bbcode here. Copy/paste the link if you wish to see the screenshot.

zaswing Guest

A-blinkin,
    I have just one question and don't intend to follow up. The question is did you ever on this computer have a paid version or a trial of a paid version of ZA, such ZA-AS or ZA-AV or ZA suite or ZA extreme?

a_blinkin Guest

I might have had a trial version, years back... But I'd uninstalled it due to some difficulty of other I was having with it, I forget exactly why - I think it had to do with an anti-virus conflict or something.

At any rate, since that time I've used the stock XP firewall, switched to another firewall, and then come back to ZA, which I've had for around 1.5-2 years now. Also, the computer has been formatted a couple of times since then; so if you think there may be some residual components from that trial - I'd be truly surprised if there was any way for it to be there.

Thread Information