Thread: ZoneAlarm Suite Anti-Virus in Scan-only mode

gary_m_mugford Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Suite Anti-Virus in Scan-only mode

Hi all,

Bought the Suite yesterday so that I can see what's actively using the internet. Fair dinkum, does the job. I uninstalled **bleep**! to try out the anti-virus, but found it awfully slow (half hour for 2.3G scan). What I'd like to do is set the ZA anti-virus to scan nightly when I'm asleep, but use **bleep**! as the active scanner. I know from some of the results that ZA is more thorough and I'd like that kind of protection. But it has too much of an impact on daily file copying, which I do alot.

Any ideas if this is possible? Settings in ZA that might alleviate the issue?

Regards, GMM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Suite Anti-Virus in Scan-only mode

Hi!usually the first scan is very slow, this is by design since ZA will check every single element in your HD even if not relevant.The next scan will be much faster.Please check that the scan mode is set to "NORMAL" (ZA antivirus/antispyware tab --> Virus management --> Scan Modes).If you have at least 1 GIG or RAM and a decent PC you should also set the priority scan to HIGH instead of MEDIUM ((ZA antivirus/antispyware tab --> Virus management --> Scan Options). The next version currently in beta (V.9) will reduce drastically the time for scanning.I would warmly reccomend not adding other security tools (antivirus/antispyware) to avoid conflicts and problems.Double check you are on the latest version8.0.400.020. Otherwise, please updateyour ZA.Cheers.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gary_m_mugford Guest

Thanks Fax.

I have to admit to being a bit obtuse in my message. The long scan was definitely dispiriting, but I will certainly give ZA a chance to 'learn' the system and speed up. My actual biggest worry was the impact on normal behaviours, such as copying files from one place to another. I noticed an impact, when copying a current set of files to a thumb drive. It added some minutes to the copying. I can live with slow scan times. That's what sleep's for, afterall. But impacting daily traffic is another thing. I will hike the setting to high, given my 3G of memory. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Once again, thank you for your guidance. GMM

You're welcome!Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information