Thread: ZAES upgrade offer: will it work on XP SP2 ?

tozzifan Guest

Default ZAES upgrade offer: will it work on XP SP2 ?

hi,
    I've just received a discount offer to upgrade from ZASS7 to latest ZAES

as I remember that a trial release of ZA8 did not allow internet surfing without doing tweaks (lowering security levels, IIRC), this time I have doubts about the performance of ZA2009 with XP SP2

thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:9.0 BETA
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: ZAES upgrade offer: will it work on XP SP2 ?

Hi!better you stay with your current setup. IMO there is little use to update a security tool on an unpatched system. It will still not ensure the protection that you may need. Update your XP fully and then trial ZAES. All ZA products comes with 15 days trial, enough to detect major problems.Also ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Ad-aware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avas t free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comod o, Rising, PC doctor and manyothers. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should. Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility before installing ZAES. Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tozzifan Guest

... what is conforting is that I have no other security utility onboard; what is not conforting is that, patching to SP3 a perfectly flowing system, could yield more undetectable problems than benefits (I've read that some people had permanent OS lockups by installing SP3 over)

Message Edited by Tozzifan on 07-12-2009 05:23 PM

Message Edited by Tozzifan on 07-12-2009 05:24 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Tozzifan wrote:
    I've read that some people had permanent OS lockups by installing SP3 over
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can virtually google whatever and find catastrophic stories for any of the Service Packs of any OSThis does not mean is going to happen to you.There have been virtually hundreds of fixes and vulnerability patched since SP2 and SP3, not really good to run like this... no security tool will protect from bug and open vulnerability.And you can always rollback to SP2 in case something is not working well, see here below the detailed instructions:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249By the way, better to completely remove ZASS before installing latest ZAES. You can use the ZA removal tool if you want.And forget to upgrade to ZAES if you have less than 1GIGA of RAM.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-12-2009 05:44 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Tozzifan wrote:
    ... what is conforting is that I have no other security utility onboard; what is not conforting is that, patching to SP3 a perfectly flowing system, could yield more undetectable problems than benefits (I've read that some people had permanent OS lockups by installing SP3 over)

Message Edited by Tozzifan on 07-12-2009 05:23 PM

Message Edited by Tozzifan on 07-12-2009 05:24 PM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>NOTICE: No Security Software run on WinXP Sp2 can protect you from the Windows Security Flaws found in Windows SP2that were Fix with Windows SP3, until you upgrade to SP3....--------------------------------------------------------
    WinXP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020

TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:988572458
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200907.6225
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security