Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Internet Connection

cyberjunkie Guest

Default Intermittent Internet Connection

Hello,

This past month or so, I have upgraded to ZAISS 8.0.400.020, the latest ZAFF (I don't remember/have version no. right now), AND FireFox 3.5

I don't remember exactly in which order I upgraded these programs, but it's most likely FF 3.5 because I upgraded ZAISS manually without being notified by ZA pop-up.

In any case, somewhere around that time between upgrading the browser and ZAISS, I had been getting intermittent Internet connection. At first, I thought it might be conflicts between ZAISS/ZAFF and FF browser; so I installed Google Chrome, which as far as I understand ZAFF does not support.

But these past few days I've been getting intermittent Internet connection with Google Chrome.

Furthermore, last time I posted here, I was advised to uninstall all my other AV/ASW programs (PC Tools Spyware Doctor w/ AV + ThreatFire, and TrojanHunter), which I did. I also reformatted my HD recently. Since then, I occasionally run SuperAntispyware and MalwareByte (sp?), and I haven't received notice of any major infection from these programs, including ZA.

Lastly, right now I'm connected to a Mac. The Mac runs on FireFox 3.5, and I have never had any problems like the ones I have with my PC around the same time I started having these PC problems. So I don't think it's my ISP or router.

Can anyone figure what's going on?

Thanks,
    CJ

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Intermittent Internet Connection

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>CyberJunkie wrote:
    Can anyone figure what's going on?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!more importantly, can you test if this is related toZA? Are you on XP SP3 and all patches?Disconnection problem may be related to other issues on your PC. Have you tried to reset the TPC/IP ?If you have kept ZA at default it should not cause any disconnection. Usually problems of connection comes when you modify basic settings of ZA. There could be many combinations of settingsthat could cause the problem including ad-hoc tuneup of programsinZA program control. Nearly impossible to troubleshoot remotely.Did you change any settings? If yes, then roll back to defaults. Just 2 basic settings to keep in mind:1st rule: ZA TrustedZone should be set ALWAYS to MEDIUM and NOT high2nd rule: Set your DNS and DHCP as TRUSTED in the ZA firewall zone.Also note that ZA ForceField does NOT support yet FireFox 3.5. You may want to follow-up with official ZA support to troubleshoot your issue or for any other question you may have. Link in my signature.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

cyberjunkie Guest

Hi fax,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

My Windows XP is SP3 w/ all the patches up-to-date, including yesterday's Microsoft's every-2nd-Tuesday-of-the-month patches.

I'll check the 2 rules tomorrow, since I don't have access to my PC right now.

Also, when I installed ZAISS, I disabled that automatic configuration for program control, and set it on Max... I've done that before; I think on occasion I'm paranoid that something will slip by the automatic configuration, and my computer would be compromised a lot sooner. I dunno.

-CJ

I think on occasion I'm paranoid that something will slip by the automatic configuration, and my computer would be compromised a lot sooner. I dunno.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, this can often cause connection or mulfunction of the system, unless you know what and how to allow programs/executables. Automatic settings will ensure you have the correct settings for all known good applications. Malware or unknown applications will not benefit from this so you are still perfectly safe.Cheers,Fax

cyberjunkie Guest

Ok... So I set Program Control from Max to Auto-learn... my Trusted Zone to Medium.

Google Chrome worked for a while... and then, it had problems with connection.

When the websites I click on or enter cannot appear (usually processing at the same time), Google Chrome says the reason is &quot;Server not found.&quot;

So what does that mean?

Also, on a side note, lately I've noticed that when ZA is updating its AV... my browsers (FF and Chrome) doesn't work well or at all.

-cj

Ok... So I set Program Control from Max to Auto-learn... my Trusted Zone to Medium.
    -cj
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A bit too late to set program control to auto and trusted zone to medium, if some programs have the wrong permission this will not resolve it.A test you can try before you get mad arounf ZA, is to shut it down and test the connection without ZA.Cheers,Fax

cyberjunkie Guest

Thanks fax.

But are there essential windows/internet programs (browsers) i could delete from Program Control, so that these programs could &quot;reset&quot; themselves?

-cj

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>But are there essential windows/internet programs (browsers) i could delete from Program Control, so that these programs could "reset" themselves?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!If you want, you can delete all list and let ZA to re-create it. Probably better a reset then.But before you should test that the origin of the problem is ZA.Cheers,Fax

cyberjunkie Guest

Default Clean Uninstall/Reinstall ZA (Re: Intermittent Internet Connection)

So last night I did a clean uninstall/reistall ZAISS 8.0.200.040 and separately uninstalled ZAFF.

I did a MBAM and SuperASW scan.

But when I finally installed ZAISS, ZA had difficulties updating AV/AS definitions. Is this normal with the latest ZA?

If I have problems updating ZA AV/AS definitions AND difficulties with consistent stable Internet connections, what does that mean?

thanks,
    cj

Default Re: Clean Uninstall/Reinstall ZA (Re: Intermittent Internet Connection)

If I have problems updating ZA AV/AS definitions AND difficulties with consistent stable Internet connections, what does that mean?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That you may have problems in your internet connection? Have you always experienced the same problem? If not, when you started to experience the problem? Did you install any new software?Is the DNS and DHCP correct and set as TRUSTED in ZA? Is ZA trusted zone set to medium?
    So last night I did a clean uninstall/reistall ZAISS 8.0.200.040 and separately uninstalled ZAFF.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you kept ZA at default this time? Autolearn ON?Did you tried to use your PC without ZA to be sure it was a ZA issue? There is no use to keep reinstalling ZA if the issue is not related to ZA.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 07-17-2009 05:53 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information