Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing a necessary root certificate

accordionist Guest

Default Missing a necessary root certificate

Here's a strange one. This morning, on startup, I get a message that validation has failed for two files:

C:\Windows\System32\vsinit.dll
    C:\Windows\System32\vsdata.dll

Both used by Zone Alarm and both suggesting "You are probably missing a necessary root certificate".

So, I've done my research and done the following:

Scanned with NOD32 and MalwareBytes. All clean.
    Reset the root certificates at https://getca.verisign.com/
    Downloaded and run rootsupd.exe
    Cleared all temp files.
    Defragmented 'C' drive.

Nothing has made any difference.

Then my wife turned on the laptop, and it's doing the same thing!

There hasn't been any updates to either computer, with the exception of NOD32.

The only other common factor is the router - so I rebooted it (I'll try anything).

The only 'fix' is from Zone Labs, and that means removing and reinstalling ZA. I don't think that's the answer though, not when both machines have shown the same problem at the same time.

So - has anybody else had problems? Especially if you have NOD32 alongside Zone Alarm.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

fred_smith Guest

Default Re: Missing a necessary root certificate

yep, same problem, different forum section.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=21173

flamingpappy Guest

Same problem on both laptops this morning. Everything was fine last evening. Both laptops were running Zone Alarm free version 6.0

backboard Guest

i also have zone alarm 6 and i kept reading this error connected about the computers date. and so after hours of fiddling, installing this deleting that, i just tested changing the date to 2008 and bam it works. why is this so?

accordionist Guest

Fixed.

On one machine - set the date to yesterday, uninstalled ZA.

On my own - in safe mode,after uninstalling ZA, removed a few extra files from the system 32 folder:

vsdata.dll
    vsinit.dll
    vsregexp.dll
    vsutil.dll
    vsxml.dll
    zlcomm.dll
    zlcommdb.dll
    vsdatant.sys

Then I was able to install the later version and all is well again.

trafalgartravel Guest

hello,we have a much older free version 4 years old and it just acted up this morning onmy network. we have over 150 users and my job is "#$#%%".
    what is Zone alarm doing about this.
    How can we get a responce from them

keojohn Guest

How
    can I
    delete those files?
    When I attempt to do so, it says:"Cannot delete [file]: Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protectedand that the files is not currently in use."

accordionist Guest

<blockquote><hr>KeoJohn wrote:
    How
    can I
    delete those files?
    When I attempt to do so, it says:&quot;Cannot delete [file]: Access is denied.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protectedand that the files is not currently in use.&quot;
    <hr></blockquote>

You need to do it in safe mode really. Otherwise, Zone Alarm is going to have something still using the files, like True Vector. Actually, I uninstalled ZA in safe mode, and I used Revo Uninstaller to do (more thorough).

trafalgartravel Guest

Here are the instructions to remove manually, it is for version 6.5 and less
    Kelly: 01.) Restart your computerKelly: 02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep tapping the &quot;F8&quot; key (at the top of your keyboard)Kelly: 03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press EnterKelly: 04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you get a help and support window, close this.Kelly: 05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My ComputerKelly: 06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View TabKelly: 07.) Place a dot next to &quot;Show Hidden Files and Folders&quot;Kelly: 08.) Remove the check from &quot;Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)&quot;Kelly: 09.) Choose Yes to the warningKelly: 10.) Click OKKelly: 11.) Double click C:Kelly: Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders, please click the &quot;Show Files&quot; link to view them.Kelly: 12.) Double Click the Program Files FolderKelly: 13.) Right Click the CheckPoint Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose YesKelly: 14.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose YesKelly: NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs -&gt; ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.Kelly: 15.) Close this windowKelly: 16.) Go to Start -&gt; Run
    Kelly: 17.) Type %appdata% and click OkKelly: 18.) Right Click the CheckPoint Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose YesKelly: 19.) Close this windowKelly: 20.) Click Start, My ComputerKelly: 21.) Double Click the C:Kelly: 22.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)Kelly: 23.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose YesKelly: 24.) Double Click the System32 FolderKelly: 25.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder (if present), click Delete, and choose YesKelly: NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.Kelly: 26.) Locate and delete the following files in the System32 folder if they are present:Kelly: - ibfl.datKelly: - lkfl.datKelly: - pdfl.datKelly: - vsconfig.xmlKelly: - vsxml.dllKelly: - vsregexp.dllKelly: - vsdata.dllKelly: - vsdata95.vxdKelly: - vsdatant.sysKelly: - vsmonapi.dllKelly: - vspubapi.dllKelly: - vsinit.dllKelly: - vsutil.dllKelly: - vswmi.dllKelly: - zlcommdb.dllKelly: - zlcomm.dllKelly: - **bleep**.datKelly: - zpeng24.dllKelly: - zpeng25.dllKelly: 27.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.Kelly: - Go to Start -&gt; RunKelly: - Type %temp% and click OKKelly: - Select all of these files and delete themKelly: 28.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below (Windows XP only).Kelly: - Go to Start -&gt; RunKelly: - Type Prefetch and click OKKelly: - Select all of these files and delete themKelly: 29.) Remove the registry entry using the steps below.Kelly: - Go to Start -&gt; RunKelly: - Type in regedit and press ok.Kelly: - Now on the left find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on the plus next to this and make it a minus.Kelly: - Find the SOFTWARE folder and click on the plus and make it a minus.Kelly: - Find the Zone Labs folder and right-click on it.Kelly: - Choose delete and then say yes to the alert that pops upKelly: 30.) Close this window, then empty your recycle bin.Kelly: 31.) Restart the computer normally.

trystero Guest

I was using an older version of zone alarm and got the same error. What worked for me: set clock back (I only had to set it back to the 13th). Reboot, zone alarm loaded normally. Uninstall. I just used XPs uninstall, make sure it shuts off truevector. Installed latest (free) version. Reset clock to correct date. Reboot, has been working fine (so far).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information