Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZoneAlarm and Firefox

wovaki Guest

Default ZoneAlarm and Firefox

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I have a question I need answered.

I have been using ZoneAlarm free for quite awhile, and I am very happy with it. There is only one problem...Firefox occasionally crashes and I need to do a system restart to get it going again. I looked up this problem on Firefox's website and they say that ZoneAlarm can cause this.

I need to know if there is away around this, without switching from ZoneAlarm or Firefox?

If this problem is not resolved soon, I fear I can no longer use Zone Alarm.

Thanks

Default Re: ZoneAlarm and Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by wovaki View Post
    I looked up this problem on Firefox's website and they say that ZoneAlarm can cause this.
    Uuuhm... weird never heard of it.
    See here a general recommendation to avoid problems with ZA and FF:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=39452

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wovaki Guest

I can't find the page it was on, but it was on Mozilla's bug list. It gave a few addons (for firefox) that caused the problem, as well as mentioning zone alarm.

I don't have any of the addons installed, so therefore it must be ZoneAlarm.

Quote Originally Posted by wovaki View Post
    so therefore it must be ZoneAlarm.
    Well, if you are so convinced then remove ZA and use the windows firewall and test it like this for while to see if the crash goes away.

Cheers,
    Fax

wovaki Guest

Sorry I just found the article if you would like to read it.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...s#Hang_at_exit

Lol... is suggesting to remove half of the commercial antivirus software on the market
    Apart from the joke, the KB speaks of hangs on exit and not crash on Firefox. Quite different situations. Are you on VISTA? It applies to vista.

Cheers,
    Fax

wovaki Guest

Yes I am on vista, and after it hangs or whatever, I said crash because it stops responding and then I have to exit it and then I get that error.

If you have used Vista you would know why its extremely irritating to have to restart my computer to get back onto Firefox.

Hi!
    I guess if your firefox does not crash without ZA then you need to remove it. I am on VISTA and using firefox and it does not hang or crash and never did. But I am using the retail version of ZA, never used the free version, so I don't really know.

Sorry,
    Fax

Possible Firefox Issues :

Clear Firefox Cache

Many problems with loading web pages can be resolved by clearing Firefox's cookies and cache. Open the "Tools" menu, then select "Clear Private Data". Select the following items, then click "Clear Private Data Now":

* Download History
    * Cache
    * Cookies

Use Firefox's Safe Mode

Sometimes add-ons for Firefox (extensions or themes) can cause problems. Safe Mode runs Firefox with your add-ons disabled. Follow these steps to start Safe Mode:

1. Make sure Firefox is closed (open the "File" menu, then select "Exit")
    2. Click the Start button, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. Select "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)".
    3. When the Safe Mode dialog box appears, click "Continue in Safe Mode"
    4. If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, and extension or theme is likely the cause.

Reset Firefox Preferences

Incorrect settings can cause problems. You can restore Firefox's default settings by following these steps:

1. Close down Firefox completely (open the "File" menu, then select "Exit")
    2. Click the Start button, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. Select "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)".
    3. When the Safe Mode dialog box appears, put a check mark by "Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults" and "Reset toolbars and controls"
    4. Click "Make Changes and Restart"

Troubleshoot Plugins

Sometimes plugins for Firefox (such as Adobe Reader, Flash, Java, QuickTime, RealPlayer, and Windows Media Player) can cause problems. Safe Mode does not disable plugins, but they can be disabled while Firefox is running.

1. Open the Add-ons Window by clicking the "Tools" menu and selecting "Add-ons"
    2. Click on the Plugins icon at the top of the Add-ons window
    3. Disable each plugin one-by-one until the problem goes away. You do not have to restart Firefox each time.
    4. If you encounter a plugin that is causing problems, you may need to update or reinstall it. If the problem continues, you can leave the plugin disabled.

Create a New Profile

A corrupt profile can cause various problems with Firefox. You can try to make a new profile test whether that solves the problem, and if so, copy your data (bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.) to the new profile.

Using Start the Profile Manager. Run dialog, enter the following : " firefox.exe -ProfileManager " for XP.For Vista from Start Search box and Create a new profile using Profile Wizard.

If creating a new profile does not solve the problem, you will need to reinstall Firefox.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

How to reset Firefox :

A corrupt profile can cause various problems with Firefox.You could create a new profile using Profile Manager.I prefer to reinstall Firefox.

Backup your Bookmarks(.json) to a folder of your choice.You will need it to restore it later.Uninstall Firefox and do not save your settings when asked.After uninstalling Firefox run CCleaner.

Install Firefox.When installing Firefox select do nothing when ask to import from IE.Restore .json backup file you saved to restore your Bookmarks.Configure all your Firefox settings.Install Add-ons and Plugins.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice Day

Charles

wovaki : This is just a suggestion.

If you think .NET Framework Assistant add-on an issue.Information on howto at this link :

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sec...x_firefox.html

Fix for the Firefox Add-on .NET Framework Assistant

The update patches Windows systems so that the add-on installed by Microsoft can be successfully uninstalled without the user having to manually edit the Windows registry.

I did mine before patch.Manually edit the Windows registry.At this link :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707

Footnote : You can just Disable .NET Framework Assistant add-on.I prefer to be able to Uninstall if the need arises and not just Disable.

Have a nice Day

Charles
    Last edited by Sky Soldiers; August 8th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information