Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

jyste Guest

Unhappy Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

I asked the same question yesterday, but apparently it is lost. So:

My PC sometimes "freezes" when left alone. I had the same problem in February but then it disappeared with a new version of ZA. Now it has come back with version 8.0.400.020.
    I have had the error 4 times in 10 days. I must then shut down by pressing a button for several seconds and then restart the computer. Of course I never leave the PC without saving all my work but it is annoying.

I have a feeling that the error has to do with the settings for "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services", specifically the setting for "Server/Internet". This is just now a "?". I seem to remember that is was a green checkmark in the previous version.

I did a "reset" but I have not touched the settings after that. Can anybody tell me what to do? Maybe change the "?" to "Checkmark" or to "Not allowed" ?

The program is on "Auto" and I am still in "learning mode". Should I just leave everything alone for the time being?

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Smile Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Hi,

Welcome to our New Forum!

The following I have set up with my ZA Pro under Generic Host Process for Win32 Services and have had no problems with this setting.

Three Green Checkmarks and a Red X in the last column The Trust Level is at Super with 3 Green Bars. A Blue Question Mark under the Send Mail column.

Hope this info has helped you, if not Please post back, Thanks

Have a Great Day!

SlyFox

jyste Guest

Unhappy Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Thanks. Unfortunately, this did not help. I have again today had a "freeze".
    I always happens when the PC is left alone, which is most of the time, so I come back to a black screen and therefore have no indication of the cause.
    The error started on the day I installed version 8.0.400.020, which is why I suspect ZASS.
    I have really no reason to suspect "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" except that the settings for this program have given me troubles before.
    What will happen if I put a green checkmark in the 4. column (Server/Internet) instead of the red cross? I seem to remember that I had this setting with the former version of ZASS (without me doing anything).

Does anybody know some other possible reason for the "freeze"

Regards, jyste

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Answer to your question about putting in a Green Check Mark in the 4th column (server/internet).
    You allow svchost to listen to the internet and a hacker could exploit an unknown vulnerability.

PLEASE boot the PC only with ZA and standard OS services (MSCONFIG) to see if you still gets this issue.

See here for instructions
    MSCONFIG instruction are in point C
    http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showpost...22&postcount=2

If yes, I would suggest a reset of the settings.

This way:

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

Do not restore old settings

PLEASE post back with your results, Thanks
    Last edited by SlyFox; August 10th, 2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added additional instructions for member
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

5. Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

I have already tried "Reset" several times and it does not work at all.
    It it difficult to try whether your suggestion with special reboot will work, since I do not know how to provoke the error. Some days I do not see it at all, but today it has already occurred twice.

What is new in version 8.0.400.020? I had version 8.0.298.035 before which gave me no troubles. I get the new version when I renewed my licence, and I wish I hadn't.

Can I install the older version on top of the newer version (if I decide to do that)?
    Or must I uninstall ZA first?

When I install new versions (with "clean install") ot when I use "Reset" at one point I am asked to "make sure the PC is connected to the internet". But it is impossible at this point to connect to the internet (because I first have to start Internet Explorer, and ZA apparently does not answer IE).
    Can I skip this step (it is something about setting up the programs) and do it later?

Thanks for your help. It is rather annoying to restart the PC so often.
    Greetings. jyste

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.
    6. The Trusted Zone Security slider should be at the middle level.
    7. The Program Control slider must be in the middle level, not the high level.

Then make sure the IE8 has both trusted and internet access rights and also it must have trusted server rights.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

http://zonealarm.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html

If this does not solve your issue, then Please contact Tech Support using the link by my signature.
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

7. Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Hi!

I can do all that. However, I do not at all understand all the terms, so I should like to know what these settings are supposed to solve.
    Is it my original problem (the occasional freeze)?
    Or is it the problem with starting Internet Explorer during setup?
    - Or maybe both.

Sorry, but I am an old woman, and English is not my native language.

Thanks, jyste

jyste Guest

I just checked. All the settings in ZA are already as you suggest with 1 exception:
    Program Control slider is at "AUTO".
    All the IP addresses were listed as Trusted.
    jyste

zeke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jyste View Post
    I just checked. All the settings in ZA are already as you suggest with 1 exception:
    Program Control slider is at "AUTO".
    All the IP addresses were listed as Trusted.
    jyste
    My Program Control slider has four positions: Max, Auto, Min, Off. I thought it was advised to run on Auto for a day or two after install, then Max.

Post Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    My Program Control slider has four positions: Max, Auto, Min, Off. I thought it was advised to run on Auto for a day or two after install, then Max.

The Recommended Proceedure after installing ZoneAlarm is to Accept the Default Setting and let ZoneAlarm complete it 21 day Learning mode, then ZoneAlarm will change the Following settings:

Firewall/main
    Internet Zone Security to HIGH
    Trusted Zone Security to MED
    Program Control to Maximum
    SmartDefense Adisor will stay on Automatic

------------------------------
    Here is my two cents worth on Best settings for Program Control/Program setting after the 21 day Learning period;

NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks)

:a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..

b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights

c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFox.)
    d.) Malicious Software Removal Tool
    f.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)
    g.) Zone Alarm Client
    h.) Zone Alarm Updating Client
    i.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet access and Send Mail all need Green check Marks..

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information