Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Quote Originally Posted by jyste View Post
    I just checked. All the settings in ZA are already as you suggest with 1 exception:
    Program Control slider is at "AUTO".
    All the IP addresses were listed as Trusted.
    jyste
    Please Contact ZA Tech Support with the link below my signature, Thanks.
    Last edited by SlyFox; August 12th, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

2. Default Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Thanks for the help. I have now printed the above instructions and am now waiting for the 21 days learning period to expire before I check the settings.
    In the meantime I am experimenting with the settings for my screen for going into standby etc. I have a wild idea that maybe ZA has trouble trying to update AntiVirus and Spyware definitions, when the PC is in standby or sleep mode. If I find a pattern I will report back.

Greetings, jyste

Post Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Thanks for the help. I have now printed the above instructions and am now waiting for the 21 days learning period to expire before I check the settings.
    In the meantime I am experimenting with the settings for my screen for going into standby etc. I have a wild idea that maybe ZA has trouble trying to update AntiVirus and Spyware definitions, when the PC is in standby or sleep mode. If I find a pattern I will report back.

Greetings, jyste
    Thank you for your Feedback..
    You should be fine while the Learning Mode procces completes..

as far as your Screen saver proble conflicting with ZoneAlarm..

1.) I don't think you mentioned in any of your Post what Version of Windows OS you have

2.) or if this is a Desktop PC or Laptop?

3.) Reason I ask, is that is you have "Hibernate" turned on, the Computer is put to sleep to save power, this shut down the link to the Internet and
    ZoneAlarm is not able to Check for Virus Definition Updates on Schedule.
    But may slow down your computer for a bit when it wakes up and catches up on the missed Update checks..

4.) if this is a Vista Computer... the Default Power saving and Hibernation Mode settings Puts the Monitor, Hard drives, Network Card, Modem in any, and several other Devices to Sleep by Default..

Have a Good day..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jyste Guest

Hi!
    Sorry about not mentioning my version of OS, I filled in this information with my first question, but I did not realize that it cannot be seen by others.

I have Windows XP, Home version, SP3, on a desktop PC (rather old, more than 5 years).
    I never leave the PC without disconnecting from the internet, so of course ZA cannot update. I know this, but I manually update at least once a day, when I start the computer.

Until recently I let the PC "hibernate" when I left the PC. (I guess that is the official English term for the "deepest sleep". It is called "Dvale" in my Danish version of Windows). Lately I have changed to just "standby" (easier to wake up), but still going to hibernate after 2 hours.

The troubles with freeze started when I got the current version of ZA (8.0.400.020)
    This week I have let the PC stay with screen saver only (neither "standby" or "hibernate") and have had no freeze. I intend tomorrow to try to allow "standby" to see what happens.

Thanks again,
    jyste

Thumbs up Re: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Hi!
    Sorry about not mentioning my version of OS, I filled in this information with my first question, but I did not realize that it cannot be seen by others.

The troubles with freeze started when I got the current version of ZA (8.0.400.020)
    This week I have let the PC stay with screen saver only (neither "standby" or "hibernate") and have had no freeze. I intend tomorrow to try to allow "standby" to see what happens.

Thanks again,
    jyste

Your Welcome..

jyste Guest

Hi!

Maybe this thread should be moved to another position or have another heading since the problem may not be what I thought it was. Only I do not know how to do this or where to move it.

I thought my problem was solved by not letting the PC hibernate. But after the 21 days of "learning" expired the PC freezes frequently when left in "standby", though never when I am actually working. For obvious reasons I can do errorhunting only after rebooting. I have noticed an entry in "Alerts & Logs", the OS firewall section after each freeze. The timestamp corresponds approximately with the time when I discover the freeze. The alert is:

Description Windows Stifinder was prevented from changing the behavior of ZoneAlarm Security Suite by modifying the file: ZLDIR*
    Rating High
    Date / Time 2009-08-22 14:34:58+2:00
    Type File
    Subtype File Write
    Data ZLDIR*
    Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Action Taken Blocked (once)
    Count 1
    Policy Personal Policy

"Windows Stifinder" is Windows Explorer, since I am running a Danish version of Windows. The description in ZA program list is:

Product name Microsoft® Windows® Operativsystem
    File name C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    Last policy update Not applicable
    Version 6.00.2900.5512 (xpsp.080413-2105)
    Last modified date 14-04-2008 18:05:50
    File size 1010 KB

I have just changed the settings as recommended to green check marks in Trusted and Internet Access ("Auto" left only question marks).
    Should I also change the Question mark for "Trust Level" the "3 bars"?
    I can see in an old printout version of my program list that I have had that setting before.

I try to keep to default settings as much as possible since I do not know very much about the workings of a PC.

Greetings, jyste

jyste Guest

Hi everybody,
    I have changed the settings for "Windows Stifinder" (i.e. Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe) to Green check marks for "Access Trusted/Internet" (instead of question marks).
    Since then I have had no problems with freezing.
    I wonder why I am not asked by ZA what to do. I thought that was what question marks were doing. Maybe it is because of the Danish Program Name ("Windows Stifinder"). I have had other problems because of language.

Anyway, I think I am up and running now. "Standby" and "Hibernating" seems to hav absolute nothing to do with my troubles.

Greeting,
    jyste

Hi!
    thank you for taking the time to report back the workaround!
    Glad to hear you are happily running again.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information