Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Dial-up users] Anti-Virus update download error

bmcrose Guest

Post [Dial-up users] Anti-Virus update download error

For the last two days the anti-virus update fails with a download error, that's the message I get. Anti-Spyware updates fine, as do, Microsoft Security, High Priority and Software updates. Also have updated Adobe Reader, Java and three other applications that I have installed. Not having a better idea, I did a clean uninstall of Zonealarm Extreme Security and reinstalled. It didn't help, still get the AV update download error. Any ideas?
    Thanks, bmc
    Last edited by fax; August 7th, 2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarify domain

Default Re: Anti-Virus update download error

Hi!
    this may depend on many different issues including malware infections, corrupted ZA files, other security tools installed.

You may want to check your system (update to SP3 + all patches), check for malware, clean your registry, remove any other security tool installed and reinstall ZAX. See below for a step by step procedure.

First remove ZAX with the ZA removal tool (download on desktop and run as administrator):
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Double check that all ZA related files/folders are gone:

01.) Restart your computer
    02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up keep
    tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
    03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
    using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
    Enter
    04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If you
    get a help and support window, close this.
    5.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    6.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes

NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs --> ZoneAlarm folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as
    possible.

7.) Close this window
    8.) Click Start, My Computer
    9.) Double Click the C:
    10.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may also be WinNT)
    11.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    12.) Double Click the System32 Folder
    13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    NOTE: If you cannot delete the entire folder, please open the Zone Labs
    folder and delete out as many of the files listed here as possible.
    14.) Click Start, Computer
    15.) Double Click C:
    16.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
    17.) Double Click the Checkpoint Folder
    18.) Right click on ZAForceField folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
    19.) Clear your Temp Directory per the instructions below.

- Go to Start --> Run
    - Type %temp% and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

20.) Clear the Prefetch folder per the instructions below.

- Go to Start --> Run
    - Type Prefetch and click OK
    - Select all of these files and delete them

21.) Empty your recycle bin.
    22.) Restart the computer.

23.) ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avast free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comodo, Rising, PC Doctor, MS OneCare and many others. If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should.

24.) Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility
    http://www.appremover.com/

23.) Check the system for malware. Check with MBAM and SuperAntispyware. See links here:
    http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showpost...07&postcount=2

25). Clean your system and registry with ccleaner.com
    http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslim

26). Re-download the ZAX installer
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...SPSetup_en.exe

27). Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tony_a Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmcrose View Post
    For the last two days the anti-virus update fails with a download error, that's the message I get. Anti-Spyware updates fine.
    bmc
    Hello bmc,

I've been having this error too! My system is clean, guaranteed! the last virus up date I received is:
    9901-43970. I'm not running any other security software. My Registry is clean. I don't believe re-installing ZA on spec is warranted without proof it will fix this problem.

The only change to my system preceeding this problem is that I installed a Microsoft Security update: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP- kb972260. on 2 August.

I first noticed the AV update problem the next day, 3 August, but thought it was an internet communications problem. AS updates OK.

Are you, or anyone else having this AV update problem after installing kb972260?

Tony
    Last edited by tony_a; August 6th, 2009 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Checking if I would get e-mail notification of replies to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_a View Post
    Are you, or anyone else having this AV update problem after installing kb972260?
    Tony
    Uuuhm, not here... updated without problems.

Fax

tony_a Guest

Hello Fax,

I did a packet capture of the AV/AS update communications to see exactly what going on during the update process. The packet contents seem to indicate there might be a problem with the server. The entire sequence is available, but is too long to include here. However, here is what looks like the problem:

Server IP: 208.111.181.105 cds102.yyz.llnw.net (Limelight Networks Inc)

Request to server:
    Version: HTTP/1.0
    Method: GET
    URI: /index/master.xml.klz
    Host: kav.zonelabs.com
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Connection: keep-alive
    User-Agent: AAAAv0UBA

Response from Server:
    Version: HTTP/1.0
    Result code: 404
    Result string: Not Found
    Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 19:03:24 GMT
    Server: Apache
    Content-Length: 222
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

There are a few packets such as these as vsmon.exe tries to get the update started. It appears the server can't find the needed files.

Tony

Hi!
    look at the AV logs:

C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\avsys\_updLog.txt

May be you you are connecting to a cache addressed that has meanwhile changed. Can you refresh/reset your cache?

Or a TCP/IP reset...

Cheers,
    Fax

tony_a Guest

Hi Fax,

Thanks for pointing out the update log. To me, it indicates the problem is the server. This was at the end of my log file, after most of the AV download was completed:

GET /bases/five/avc/base968c.avc HTTP/1.0
    Host: kav.zonelabs.com
    Pragma: no-cache
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    User-Agent: AAAAv0UBA

15:06:01: socket error: remote host closed connection
    15:06:01: Response has not been received from server, result General socket error
    15:06:01: Get remote files result: General socket error
    15:06:01: Download error
    15:06:01: Download update files result Updater logic error related to download process
    15:06:01: ========= download update bases operation, result: Updater logic error related to download process =========
    15:06:01: Update failed
    15:06:01: ******** Update operation result Updater logic error related to download process ********
    15:06:01: ================================================== =======
    15:06:01: ===== Trace log finished. Thu Aug 06 15:06:01 2009 =====
    15:06:01: ================================================== =======

Could it be the server is timing out the connection? I have a dial-up internet service (no broadband in my remote area), in which case the server may have closed the connection while waiting for the update process to complete. The problem is clearly because the server closed the connection, and not due to a problem with the user's system. What next? (cache was cleared and no hosts file entry.)

Tony

P.S. bmc - please check your log to see if you have the same "remote host closed connection" entry.

Uuuhm.. so it actually connect and download files but cannot complete the process?

Fax

MTNclimber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tony_a View Post
    Could it be the server is timing out the connection? I have a dial-up internet service (no broadband in my remote area), in which case the server may have closed the connection while waiting for the update process to complete. The problem is clearly because the server closed the connection, and not due to a problem with the user's system. What next? (cache was cleared and no hosts file entry.)

Tony

P.S. bmc - please check your log to see if you have the same "remote host closed connection" entry.
    Hi folks,

I've got the same problem. It started about 4 days ago. Also live in a remote area and dial-up is my only option. My dial-up runs at about 1.5k to 2.5k. (I know it is painfully slow).

The anti-virus will not update. It looks like it starts to download and then gets stuck and eventually fails. The anti-spyware updates are ok.

I have 2 pcs, both configured differently. One is XP w/IE7 and the other is Vista w/IE8. Each run different applications, but both have the same Zonelalarm update problem. Anti-virus updates fail, but anti-spyware updates are fine.

I don't think this problem relates to Microsoft update KB972260 because only my Vista pc has this update.

Not sure what the problem is, but any ideas would be appreciated.

tony_a Guest

I think I've found that the problem is the new host server (Limelight Networks) is timing out the connection causing the update to fail. I have two long posts with excerpts from the update logs to show this, but they were re-directed to the forum moderater because of length, and have not yet appeared in this thread.

My update log from 24 Jul shows a successful download from the old host. My failed update log after 3 Aug indicates only a few seconds is allowed to download the update, although vsmon.exe on the user's system keeps trying to re-start the update until it too decides to give up trying.

The solution is to bitch and complain to Zonelabs and have them allow their update host server more time to download.

Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information