Thread: Reset Firefox / Reset when using ForceField

Default Reset Firefox / Reset when using ForceField

How to reset Firefox :

A corrupt profile can cause various problems with Firefox.You could create a new profile using Profile Manager.I prefer to reinstall Firefox.

Backup your Bookmarks(.json) to a folder of your choice.You will need it to restore it later.Uninstall Firefox and do not save your settings when asked.After uninstalling Firefox run CCleaner.

Install Firefox.When installing Firefox select do nothing when ask to import from IE.Restore .json backup file you saved to restore your Bookmarks.Configure all your Firefox settings.Install Add-ons and Plugins.

How to reset when using ForceField ( standalone ) or in Browser Security in Extreme :

Turn off ForceField to reset Firefox.After you reset Firefox and everything is running as it should.Close Firefox and Turn ON ForceField and Clear virtual data.

Footnote :

Also turn OFF ForceField for installing and updating Firefox.This is also valid for installing Add-ons and Plugins.

Hope this helps.

Charles_B

Default Re: ZoneAlarm and Firefox

Possible Firefox Issues :

Clear Firefox Cache

Many problems with loading web pages can be resolved by clearing Firefox's cookies and cache. Open the "Tools" menu, then select "Clear Private Data". Select the following items, then click "Clear Private Data Now":

* Download History
    * Cache
    * Cookies

Use Firefox's Safe Mode

Sometimes add-ons for Firefox (extensions or themes) can cause problems. Safe Mode runs Firefox with your add-ons disabled. Follow these steps to start Safe Mode:

1. Make sure Firefox is closed (open the "File" menu, then select "Exit")
    2. Click the Start button, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. Select "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)".
    3. When the Safe Mode dialog box appears, click "Continue in Safe Mode"
    4. If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, and extension or theme is likely the cause.

Reset Firefox Preferences

Incorrect settings can cause problems. You can restore Firefox's default settings by following these steps:

1. Close down Firefox completely (open the "File" menu, then select "Exit")
    2. Click the Start button, open the All Programs list, and navigate to the Mozilla Firefox folder. Select "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)".
    3. When the Safe Mode dialog box appears, put a check mark by "Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults" and "Reset toolbars and controls"
    4. Click "Make Changes and Restart"

Troubleshoot Plugins

Sometimes plugins for Firefox (such as Adobe Reader, Flash, Java, QuickTime, RealPlayer, and Windows Media Player) can cause problems. Safe Mode does not disable plugins, but they can be disabled while Firefox is running.

1. Open the Add-ons Window by clicking the "Tools" menu and selecting "Add-ons"
    2. Click on the Plugins icon at the top of the Add-ons window
    3. Disable each plugin one-by-one until the problem goes away. You do not have to restart Firefox each time.
    4. If you encounter a plugin that is causing problems, you may need to update or reinstall it. If the problem continues, you can leave the plugin disabled.

Create a New Profile

A corrupt profile can cause various problems with Firefox. You can try to make a new profile test whether that solves the problem, and if so, copy your data (bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.) to the new profile.

Using Start the Profile Manager. Run dialog, enter the following : " firefox.exe -ProfileManager " for XP.For Vista from Start Search box and Create a new profile using Profile Wizard.

If creating a new profile does not solve the problem, you will need to reinstall Firefox.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

How to reset Firefox :

A corrupt profile can cause various problems with Firefox.You could create a new profile using Profile Manager.I prefer to reinstall Firefox.

Backup your Bookmarks(.json) to a folder of your choice.You will need it to restore it later.Uninstall Firefox and do not save your settings when asked.After uninstalling Firefox run CCleaner.

Install Firefox.When installing Firefox select do nothing when ask to import from IE.Restore .json backup file you saved to restore your Bookmarks.Configure all your Firefox settings.Install Add-ons and Plugins.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice Day

Charles

JsJs Guest

Default Re: Reset Firefox / Reset when using ForceField

Forcefield is a great product

KsTinMan Guest

Default Re: Problem seeing toolbar in FireFox 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by wjbinokc View Post
    I just installed ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. I updated Forcefield to the most recent version available for Firefox. Firefox version 5.5.

I am running the most recent Firefox 3.6. This may explain the following error message I receive when trying to enable the ForceField toolbar:

unload: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIObserverService.removeObserver]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://trustchecker/content/trustchecker.js :: anonymous :: line 949" data: no]

After seeing this message, I cannot see the ForceField toolbar but there is a checkmark in the context menu by the ForceField name. This checkmark is to indicate that the FF toolbar is enabled but I cannot see it.

Later, I turned off the toolbar (and the checkmark is gone). By turning the toolbar off, I am presented with the same error message shown above.

Let me know if you need anymore information. I hope this helps

I had this identical error. My first try at repairing the issue was done at the request of Tech Support. Their "fix" did not work. However, what they did give led me to the solution for this issue.

Here's what they asked me to try:

1: Remove ZA using: ZA Removal Tool: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...load/clean.exe

2: Remove FF using: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...ff_cleanup.zip

3. Download and reinstall the latest version of ZA

4. Reinstall FF from: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...053_049_en.exe

Please keep in mind that I had also lost the toolbar in Internet Explorer. After following Tech Supports' advise shown above, I opened IE and my toolbar had returned and was working. However, Firefox 3.6 STILL had no FF toolbar. This is what led me to the solution. The problem had to have something to do with the Firefox Installation.

Like you, I also uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox 3.6 to no avail, so I decided to completely remove all traces of Firefox. I made a backup copy of the bookmarks.html file from C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxx.default, where User was my Windows login name and xxxxxx was the Profile number.

Next I uninstalled Firefox 3.6, and then I deleted not only the C:\Program Files\Mozilla sub-folders and folders, but also the entire Mozilla folder and sub-folders where bookmarks.html file was found.

After installing Firefox 3.6 this time, my FF toolbar was back and working fine. I imported my bookmarks file and reset my home pages, and have had no trouble since.

FYI: Firefox is the ONLY Mozilla application that I use, so you may want to delete just the Firefox folders from within the Mozilla Folder.

New Information: I was incorrect about bookmarks.html. You need to backup the latest bookmarks.json From within the profile. Do a quick search of the profile for bookmarks and save the newest one before deleting the folder. Also, backup these 2 files for saved passwords if they are important to you, both of which are required: key3.db and signons.sqlite. I saved only my bookmarks since I do not save passwords.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; June 20th, 2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: update ZA Removal tool

Thread Information