Thread: ZASS Firewall Effectiveness?

krackatoa Guest

Unhappy ZASS Firewall Effectiveness?

Longtime user of Zone Alarm products ---I've been working on this particular Firewall issue for several days now -- and seek help in resolution as it appears I've still a problem.

Plead guilty for years of NOT backingup -- so was changing pace and purchased backup drive and started install.

Recently installed Western Digital Elitie III backupdrive -- and not realizing all the software installed with that product, discovered several elements which open ports as an exception within Windows Defender Firewall (WDF). Since I always use ZA firewall and WDF service turned off by ZASS -- and I do it through manual services within Windows OS system -- didn't worry. However, found out reviewing security log that Windows Firewall was allowing ports 1700-1709 to be enabled!!

(a) Checked ZASS firewall and sought out programs associated with WD backup, blocked all and put a "Kill" on the program. (b) Went into Add/Delete programs and deleted several identified as associated with WD backup software. (c) went into registry and used keyword search and deleted strings out there. (d) started manually Windows Defender Firewall, went into exceptions and found ports 1700-1709 open, enabled and identifying with WD Memio backup software -- deleted all out --- (e) cleared out security log in WIN XP OS -- went to bed. Logged on this morning, and they are back!

Question: What else am I missing on getting rid of this junk? Am I protected with ZASS ??? Is there something else in ZASS that I'm missing?? I found info on ZASS expert rules, but never applied before. Reading up on them now.

Apologize for such a long thread -- but perhaps others should also be aware of my lesson learned about product software installs. One of these programs can actually put your harddrive on the Internet -- NOW that's scarey -- and why I've been trying to rid myself of this problem. I'm considering entire reinstall of system --- not sleeping well with this issue

Thanks to any and all who have some thoughts on resolving this --- please!

Krackatoa
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:990609233
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200908.6375
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

Default Re: ZASS Firewall Effectiveness?

Hi!
    ...and what ZA is supposed to do about the backup software you have decided to install? ZA Suite is a security tool not a uninstall tool.
    You should ask the technical support of whatever backup software you have used for detailed instruction on how to remove it.

If you think the backup software you have installed is a virus then you should send it to Kaspersky as detailed here.

WDF service turned off by ZASS
    ZASS does NOT turn OFF the Windows Defender, or you mean the windows firewall?
    XP Windows Firewall does not provide for any outbound protection.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 11th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

krackatoa Guest

Hi FAX,

As always thank you for your prompt reply.

However, was not expecting ZASS to handle any "unistall activities" -- perhaps my wording was misleading; was just trying to give background on steps I had taken.

Deciding to install backup software is NOT a bad idea; my choice and lack of appreciation for the software implications became my problem after a Google search and finding others who had same bad experiences.

Yes, I meant I understood that ZASS would turn off Windows Firewall and be thus my primary firewall protection.

Bottomline, I was just trying to determine whether or not I had effective protection from ZASS Firewall for anything outbound/inbound that could be coming from any of the remaining (if so) WD software install.-- and need not worry about Windows Firewall if the service was turned off -- it was just the security log entires that gave me the impression all was not well.

Maybe exploration of the ZASS firewall expert rules will provide better insight.

Appreciated your time.....

Krackatoa

Hi!
    I am sorry but there is a basic problem in the way you see how ZASS should work.

There are thousands of legitimate software that are designed to facilitate the access to your PC remotely, or record your activity or open ports, etc...

ZA cannot protect from poorly designed software. Nor can protect from users that deliberately have installed low quality tools and allowed it to run. In other words, no security tool can protect from users intentional or unintentional bad choices/actions.

You should contact the support service of those tools and ask for assistance. ZA cannot fix other software bugs...

Cheers,
    Fax

krackatoa Guest

FAX,

Without a doubt YOU are a true Guru and have helped many, many of us with ZA probs, (including me in the past).....but WHAT was in your coffee this morning?? I don't believe your fully understood what I was asking -- and I will take fault with myself for not expressing it more clearly.

However, Felt your LAST reply was very un-characteristically (for you) unkind.

1. I will contact Western Digital
    2. I NEVER intentionally/knowingly install low quality tools on my computers
    3. Never was asking for ZA to fix other software bugs ---

We can end this thread-- thanks.

Respectfully,
    Krackatoa

Hi!
    sorry if my explanation sounded unkind but you are expecting something that security tools are not designed to deliver. In comparison also your title is unkind and unfair. What has to do the effectiveness of ZASS with the problems of a bad application?

I am again sorry if I sounded rude but it is too easy to accuse a software for an error that is largely human. If it helps to feel better you can say it loud "ZA should have prevented me to installing this c***!"

Peace, love and happy surfing.

Cheers,
    Fax

Hello,
    last post removed (off topic). This thread is not about me.
    Enough have been said about other tools too!

Please do not hesitate to open a new thread if you have any other ZA product related issue.

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information