Thread: ZAP denies Windows Services P......

paulinem Guest

Default ZAP denies Windows Services P......

This has not been a problem but I noticed there are quite a few of these Windows files denied automatically. I guess I could look up each file number and maybe track them down but maybe someone can just give me a general response as to why ZAP denies them and if it matters. Thanks in advance.

zaswing Guest

Default Re: ZAP denies Windows Services P......

Quote Originally Posted by paulinem View Post
    just give me a general response as to why ZAP denies them and if it matters.
    It might help if you define "them" in the sentence above.

ZA will deny internet access to some programs based on its firewall functions. It will deny running other things based on the OS protection rules. You need to specify what is being denited, what the alert logs say, some detail that might trigger a response here.

paulinem Guest

Winkdows\Software Distribution\Download\xxxxxxxxxxxx(lots of numbers here)\update\update.exe They all have three green bars so I'm often tempted to just "allow".

There are about sixteen of these files that ZAP denied. I have no apparent problems with my Windows auto download. When I check my MS critical updates, it says I'm up to date.

My ZAP control is set on medium, my smart defense advisor is on automatic. Do you need to know any or all of the file numbers ("xxx" above)? Sorry I'm slow getting back to you. "The tyranny of the urgent." I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks.

paulinem Guest

p.s. I've turned off my alert logs; I could turn the alerts back on if necessary, so I might catch the "alert" notification on these files.

Quote Originally Posted by paulinem View Post
    They all have three green bars Thanks.
    Yes, this is all what they need to get installed in your system (supertrusted in the OSfirewall, i.e. able to install without been blocked by ZA). What is blocked is the internet access. Update.exe do not need to connect out to install

Btw, you can remove those entries, right click and them and "remove".

Are you keeping ZA at default? If you play too much with custom settings you can easily mess up with permissions and have your system not working as it should.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; August 19th, 2009 at 07:13 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

paulinem Guest

Smile Re: ZAP denies Windows Services P......

Yep, I usually just let ZA do its thing.

"What is blocked is the internet access. Update.exe do not need to connect out to install "

Thanks, Fax. That's good to know. Mine was more of a curiosity question rather than a "need-to-know." I think I'll just let things stand as they are ... having confidence in ZA and the ZA forum.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information