Thread: Win32.Trojan.Generic.85510 found in Symantec file?

Robert01 Guest

Default Win32.Trojan.Generic.85510 found in Symantec file?

I ran a scan last Wednesday (the 12th). ZoneAlarm Pro reported the following bug: "Win32.Trojan.Generic.85510".

It was in this file:
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\UNRAR.DLL

As you can see the file is in the folder of the updating software for Norton SystemWorks 2005.

I scanned with Spybot Search & Destroy, Spysweeper and Norton antivirus - they reported nothing.

Is this a false positive?

Default Re: Win32.Trojan.Generic.85510 found in Symantec file?

Hi!
    Are you scanning with "deep inspection" settings?

This can create a lot of false positive and should be used only you are infected by malware. Set ZA at default (Intelligent quick scan) and scan again. If you still have problems then see below. Upload the file to www.virustotal.com to check for false positives and then report it to ZA as explained here.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Robert01 Guest

>> Are you scanning with "deep inspection" settings?

Yes, I sure was. I will set ZA to default (Intelligent quick scan) and scan again. I'm suppose if that doesn't show any bugs then its probably a false positive? Right?

Thanks for the help,

Robert01

Robert01 Guest

Update... I did the scan using the default (Intelligent quick scan) setting and nothing was found.

Out of curiosity I ran a scan using the "Full System Scan" setting, and it reported the Win32.Trojan.Generic.85510.

Then, is it safe to assume this is a false positive?

Thanks,

Robert01

Why don't you just navigate to the file, right-click it and scan the file with ZA.

If it is detected as malware, then follow Guru Fax's instructions to report it to the developers.

racsan94 Guest

I went through all of the above listed gyrations and I too encountered this File: C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\UNRAR.DLL "trojan". I switched to intelligent scan and ZA found nothing. Incidently, if you delete or quarantine this detection, then Norton Liveupdate will no longer work. If this is a legit problem, I wonder if simply moving the UNRAR.DLL to a different temporary directory will solve the problem. I think I will give it a shot and see what happens. If you try this yourself, create a directory and do not name it temp, or temporary. If you do, some "cleanup utilities" will seek out directorys by this/these names and delete everything in it. I named mine "reserved files" (no quotations). Take care and have a good Holiday.

Hi!

please report the false positive as detailed here:
    http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showpost...00&postcount=2

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information