Thread: Forcefield hides my downloads by hijacking Firefox download manager.

boydoo Guest

Default Forcefield hides files downloaded by Firefox

I have initiated downloads of several software packages from Adobe and other sites to my downloads folder.

After completion of the process the downloads cannot be found in the folder and the folder does not show any increase in content size.

If I initiate a second download of the same items to the same folder, I get the warning about replacing the existing file - which is not there according to Windows.

The file has actually been converted to a file called ffffffffffffb844.isw or something else like that and moved to the 'Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\#ISW.FS#' folder where virtual data is stored by Forcefield.

The programmes I downloaded cannot be accessed, are invisible to Windows and Forecfield tells me that it has protected my computer from endless gigabytes of harmful content - which is a load of nonesense.

What it has actually done is to convert the Firefox cache and any downloads that I initiate into inaccessible files called 'virtual data'.

If I select 'Clear Virtual Data' from Forcefield, not only does it delete all of the files in this virtual cache, but it also forces Firefox to revert to its default settings - as if installed afresh - which means I lose all of my bookmarks, saved passwords, plugins and other settings.

Forcefield is acting like malware by disabling/hiding files without user input/information - the very thing it is supposed to prevent.

If I disable Zonealarm then Firefox does not lose the downloads, etc. and everything works fine. Disable only Forcefield and everything works fine also.

This is specific to Zonealarm.
    Last edited by boydoo; August 15th, 2009 at 12:02 AM. Reason: clearer explanation

Default Re: Forcefield hides my downloads by hijacking Firefox download manager.

Hi!
    yes, this is by design. For security reason third party applications can only save in the ZA forcefield folder in your 'document' folder. You have to set your download manager to save there. This way the downloads will be visible otherwise they will not be accessible.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

xolar Guest

Default Re: Forcefield hides my downloads by hijacking Firefox download manager.

This zone alarm extreme is really trouble...and it's not compatible with firefox 3.5.2. I have to close ZL when I have to download files that I don't know the extension...is it possible deactivate the download manager ?

Quote Originally Posted by xolar View Post
    This zone alarm extreme is really trouble...and it's not compatible with firefox 3.5.2. I have to close ZL when I have to download files that I don't know the extension...is it possible deactivate the download manager ?
    See above, ZA forcefield is not compatible with firefox 3.5. Stay with 3.1.X or turn OFF forcefield.

Cheers,
    Fax

porran Guest

Any idea when ZoneLabs is going to fix this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by porran View Post
    Any idea when ZoneLabs is going to fix this problem?
    I think very soon but ZA never communicate release dates up to when it is released. A working forcefield is included in the new ZA 9 currently in beta (www.zonealarm.com/beta).

Cheers,
    Fax

mlukens Guest

I am having this issue with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security 9.0.083. It is not fixed in this version. Further, the setting to turn off download protection does not work -- it still intercepts and hijacks downloads. I had to completely disable ForceField to get downloads to work normally. I use Firefox 3.5 and DownThemAll (a download helper extension), and DownThemAll is completely disabled unless I completely disable ForceField. Will issues like this be fixed in the future? (If not, I need to downgrade to ZoneAlarm Pro, to avoid paying for something I just have to disable). Does anybody know if they plan to fix this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by mlukens View Post
    Does anybody know if they plan to fix this issue?
    Don't think so, its by design. ForceField replace the download function of the browser, it a security feature. It isolates the browser from the rest of the system and scan the downloads.

If you don't like the protection than you should not use ZA Extreme and move to ZASS.

Cheers,
    Fax

mlukens Guest

Thanks for the suggestion and information. I just requested and received a refund. Looking at the product comparison guide on the site, however, I noticed that ALL ZoneAAlarm products now feature 'Advanced Download Protection' -- doesn't that mean any product I choose from the current lineup (2010 versions) would have this problem? (See: http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...e-software.htm ) I, too, thought that this was just a feature of the 'Extreme' version, but looking at the chart, it appears to be included in all versions now -- even the 'Pro' and 'Anti-virus' versions. I suppose I could just get a lower version and disable that feature, but disabling the feature still leaves a process running in the background, which I find annoying.

It begins to look like I'll need to show elsewhere, unless you know something I don't about the products (I'm just going by the chart, I haven't actually downloaded and tried the different versions). It is too bad, since I really liked ZoneAlarm products up to this point, and have been a satisfied customer for many years.

Post Re: Forcefield hides my downloads by hijacking Firefox download manager.

Quote Originally Posted by mlukens View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion and information. I just requested and received a refund. Looking at the product comparison guide on the site, however, I noticed that ALL ZoneAAlarm products now feature 'Advanced Download Protection' -- doesn't that mean any product I choose from the current lineup (2010 versions) would have this problem?.
    You mis-understand the Chart..

ZA Extreme Security contained ForceField that Controled where Downloads were placed to protect you from yourself while Surfing the Internet..

'Advanced Download Protection' is Different..
    It protects you by Checking all Downloads for Malware etc..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information