Thread: Install crashes computer completely, forced to system restore

pengam Guest

Default Install crashes computer completely, forced to system restore

Hi All,

I'm having great difficulties installing the zonealarm free firewall on my computer. Basically what happens is when I install ZA everything goes fine and it asks me to restart. But, when I restart the computer loads up until just before the desktop shows and then it freezes and nothing happens. The only way I can get into windows after that is by booting into windows, safe mode then restoring to a previous state before ZA.

It's annoying because i've used ZA for years without a problem, but recently I had massive problems with the windows update that puts your computer into the 'configuring updates, stage 3 of 3' cycle. I had to system restore when that happen, which probably has something to do with why i'm having problems with ZA now.

I'm running Vista 32 bit.

Any help would be much appreciated because currently i'm forced to use windows firewall which isn't ideal to say the least.

thanks for reading, i look forward to your comments.

findley Guest

Default Re: Install crashes computer completely, forced to system restore

pengam,
    Did you have another commercial firewall or security suite installed like Norton or McAfee? Did you completely uninstall using their removal tool?
    If no prior commercial firewall or security suite was ever installed on this computer then
    Have you tried this:
    Download to your desktop a fresh copy of zone alarm free firewall
    Run the zone alarm removal tool http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Try reinstalling zone alarm free firewall

I hope this helps you
    findley

pengam Guest

Hi Findley,

Thanks for your reply, it's very much appreciated.

To answer your question;

- I have no other firewall installed. I was using zonealarm prior to these problems, only. I'm using Bitdefender antivirus for my virus protection.

I downloaded the removal tool and ran it but when I re-tried to install ZA it went through the download and install part then after a second or two it came up with this msg.

"an error occurred installing the package. Windows installer returned 1636"

I can't find any information about this error apart from one other guy who posted on this forum and you replied to. I saw what you asked so here's my answer already - I've downloaded the file using IE with no download accelerator.

To throw a really confusing thing in the mix. I downloaded a different firewall "outpost" and tried to install that and exactly the same problem happened. It installed then on the reboot just before all the desktop icons load it froze. Weird.

Very confusing.... Please any ideas, anyone?

findley Guest

Are you running Vista 32 bit SP1 or SP2?

pengam Guest

SP1.

I've got 45 updates waiting to be downloaded and installed too. But, as I mentioned before one of these crashes my computer as well (the original problem which has lead to more problems) gets the computer stuck in a cycle which i can't break other than restoring to a previous point.

findley Guest

pengam,

No guarantees here, but here's a scenario you could try:

Download fresh copy full file of za free (unless you feel your copy is clean - up to you) za free version 8.0.298.000 is 32.3Mb
    then disconnect from internet
    Uninstall za free running the za removal tool http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe
    Uninstall Bitdefender antivirus (have your license key handy for reinstalling)
    Reboot
    Install za free 8.0.298.000

findley

Edit: I successfully downloaded za free version 8.0.298.000 from filehippo and file size is 32.3Mb; not able at this time to download full file from za link
    Last edited by findley; August 17th, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add information

Thread Information