Thread: Others using PC?

petpet Guest

Default Others using PC?

I have long had a feeling that I am not the only one who is using my PC, even though I live alone and am doing my very best to keep hackers out.

I keep coming online to find that other pages than the ones I have visited have been opened in my browser, and I get messages telling me something with this meaning: "Are you sure you want to lock out? Someone else is using the computer? Maybe you should set up another network so the other person can use the computer undisturbed", or: "Somebody else is using your browser, are you sure you want to lock it down?" (these are not the exact wordings of the messages, just my way of referring their meaning).

Today I locked in and found a message from Zone Alarm telling me that it has detected a new network, either to the internet or to another computer.
    The IP address - though it resembles IP addresses I have had - I believe is new.
    When trying to find out what the new network is, the only thing I could find was that a printer had been added (there is no printer added to my computer, which can be confirmed elsewhere in the system).

I'm confused and don't know how to deal with this 'New Network Addition' thing.

It seems I have two options: 1. - Let it run on it's own, and 2. - Allow it into my trusted zone.
    Edit: Oh yes, and a third option; 3. -Chose either of the first two options, plus Give the New Network a name.

The latter won't happen, of course, but I also do not want to just let it be ... unless I have misunderstood the whole thing and new networks are added all the time and it's totally normal (only I never knew this ... and never had it happen before for some reason?).

Can somebody advice me?

Please excuse my messy explanation above. I'm not IT schooled and fairly new with doing anything except running the antivirus and firewall programs.

^L^,

Jean.

Ps. I don't have the identity protection version installed because I couldn't afford it.
    Last edited by petpet; August 16th, 2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Forgot a detail

findley Guest

Default Re: Others using PC?

Jean,
    Some questions:
    Are you using a wireless network?
    On a shared campus or apartment building network?
    what operating system? XP or Vista
    what zone alarm product?
    what browser are you using?
    Do you use both an administrator account and limited user account?
    Important, what are the exact error messages?
    Are you getting popups? What do they say?

findley

petpet Guest

Hello Finley,

thank you for replying to my topic.
    I apologize for having delayed my reply for so long.

I also ask of you to please bear with me when I still don't answer your questions right away.
    The reason for this is uncertainty again: I'm not sure about what kind of information it is wise to post on a public board.

So I would ask you if we could perhaos move this conversation into a PM zone?

Later on I will be happy to post about any solutions to this issue, and any information, that may be helpful for others.

In the case described in my initial post I never found any solution. The message about the new network that had been detected stopped coming up after I made a few other actions (like posting about it here).
    I guess my computer just "concluded" that I wasn't about to enter a name for the new network, and it took it's own action ... wether it left the new network active, or wether it was discarded.

Somehow I don't think the latter is the case, because I wasn't even given the option to deny or delete the new network, just as I believe I would've been notified had this network been removed from the system.

Since I couldn't find any information about it, I also couldn't take any action.
    The detail about the printer is a description I haven't altered nor deleted, because it's at this point the only information in regard to the new netowrk that I can find. I'm afraid that if I delete the printer addition info, I'll lose the only connection I have to the whole issue.
    I also don't think it has any significance to a possible external and illegal user if I delete this detail or not, so I've decided to leave it for now and until I know more about exactly what I can and should do about it.

Jean.

NeoTheUser Guest

Try using Wireshark or ettercap to see if anybody is using your network. Or what you can do is look for all internet activity by looking at your PC NAT Firewall or router firewall. PCs usually do a better job with security than actual routers. I run an OpenBSD PC NAT Firewall and its great. I run iptables on it and everything. But for PC, stick with Wireshark and ettercap and "sniff" your own network.

Post Re: Others using PC?

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    NeoTheUser[/B];264570]Try using Wireshark or ettercap to see if anybody is using your network. Or what you can do is look for all internet activity by looking at your PC NAT Firewall or router firewall. PCs usually do a better job with security than actual routers. I run an OpenBSD PC NAT Firewall and its great. I run iptables on it and everything. But for PC, stick with Wireshark and ettercap and "sniff" your own network.
    NeoTheUser;

1.) Your signature Block Violates the Forum Terms of User Policy..
    Please Remove all three Comments from your signature..

2.) Please Read and Comply with the Three ZA Guildline and Terms of Use Policy for the ZoneAlarm Forum.. Click on the link Below..

http://www.zaforums-stg.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

NeoTheUser Guest

Is this better? I read the agreement. I see nothing wrong.

Theouterside Guest

New hear not to sure where or how to post things. Having a problem in add/remove. There is a program called "Advertising Center" with no remove button. Did complete scan with ZA and Spybot but nothing comes up. Anyone have an idea what this program is and if so how to get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Theouterside View Post
    New hear not to sure where or how to post things. Having a problem in add/remove. There is a program called "Advertising Center" with no remove button. Did complete scan with ZA and Spybot but nothing comes up. Anyone have an idea what this program is and if so how to get rid of it?

Have you tried a "GOOGLE.COM" Search for "Advertising Center"

Google will display lots of information about : "Advertising Center"

Theouterside Guest

Yes almost everyone said to edit registry ... local mach....uninstall and delete it ... but that only deletes the name not program. Also it's not there in "words" maybe numbers not sure

smedleyamy Guest

Hi petpet,

I have seen your whole thread and the result that you are a victim. Someone or hacker have attacked your system by using your IP address. Hacker have rLogin software to automatically login to your computer from remote computer. As you are saying that same Ip is there then it is also possible to change IP with certain software. You are know in danger zone, as all the administrator secrets are in hands of hacker. Please listen what i am saying , use high security like alarm zone and Wireshark which detect the other user destination real IP and it also filter the proxy site of another user then you come to know that who is user ? and how he come in contact with you. Check all neccessary settings and also proxy level settings. Change the rule of administrator and then check for two to three days.

Thanks

Thread Information