Thread: Available options?

cbinc11 Guest

Default Available options?

Purchased new brand name desktop w/ Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed. Dislike the preloaded security suite from another company; would like to continue w/ ZAISS like I have on all of our older 32-bit XP desktops, notebooks, and netbooks.

Bought a one-year ZAISS boxed copy from Amazon (3-user, which btw I didn't realize at the time of purchase), only to discover that it's only usable for a 32-bit OS. But since I've already opened the box, I don't believe that I can return it (although I suppose I can always ask Amazon anyways).

So...what are my options? Is there a 64-bit version available? If there is, can I use the product key that came with the 32-bit version, or will I be stuck with paying for it all over again? (Which in all likelihood I won't do and will go back to the unloved security suite that I just uninstalled...or find a freeware alternative. Like everyone else these days, I AM on a budget and don't like the notion of paying for something twice.)

Default Re: Available options?

Hi!
    unless its a very old boxed version of ZA you can simply use the license key of the box and install the latest 64bit compatible version that you find here.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thumbs up Re: Available options?

Quote Originally Posted by cbinc11 View Post
    Purchased new brand name desktop w/ Vista Home Premium 64-bit installed. Dislike the preloaded security suite from another company; would like to continue w/ ZAISS like I have on all of our older 32-bit XP desktops, notebooks, and netbooks.

Bought a one-year ZAISS boxed copy from Amazon (3-user, which btw I didn't realize at the time of purchase), only to discover that it's only usable for a 32-bit OS. But since I've already opened the box, I don't believe that I can return it (although I suppose I can always ask Amazon anyways).

So...what are my options? Is there a 64-bit version available? If there is, can I use the product key that came with the 32-bit version, or will I be stuck with paying for it all over again? (Which in all likelihood I won't do and will go back to the unloved security suite that I just uninstalled...or find a freeware alternative. Like everyone else these days, I AM on a budget and don't like the notion of paying for something twice.)

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

I agree with Guru Fax..

A.) however, If the Pre-installed Security software was Norton/symantec, or McAfee Software, Uninstalling it is NOT ENOUGH.. Both McAfee and Symantec Leave lots of Renants behind when un-installed that May Conflict with ZoneAlarm..

Both McAfee and Symantec provide a Special Removal tool on their Web Sites for the Purpose of doing a Complete Clean Un-install of their Products..

B.) if the Box version you have says 2007 or 2008 on it, and not 2009 then It was probable a 32 bit version,

before ZAISS 8.0.400.020 that is WinXP SP3 32-Bit and Vista 32-Bit And Vista 64-Bit Compatible..

C.) I recomend that you Download the Removal Tool for the Pre-Installed Security software if it is McAfee or Norton/Symantec and run it..

Then you can Download the Current 64-bit ZAISS direct from Checkpoint and User your Box License to install the New downloaded ZAISS.. (Only problem may be if the License of the Boxed Version is Very old or Expired?)

The simplest procedure is to :

1.Download the Latestinstallerhttp://www.zaforums-stg.com/images/smilies/frown.gifpreferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, BitTorrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform,installer will install on Both WinXP and Vista)

ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2. Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

(Skip Line 2.) if you can not access your Bad install of ZAISS)

3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).
    To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

Please Post back with your Progress Report..

Good Luck..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; August 21st, 2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

cbinc11 Guest

Fax: Thanks for the link. The download appears to have installed fine, and the license key that come with the 32-bit boxed copy of ZAISS 2009 was accepted w/o any heartache.

However, after several reboots I found that the A/V definitions update isn't working (but the spyware definitions did update. ZAISS seems to get out to the internet w/o problem, as does Firefox, IE8 and Google Chrome. Do you know if there's currently a problem w/ the server(s) that the A/V definitions are on?

Quote Originally Posted by cbinc11 View Post
    Fax: Thanks for the link. The download appears to have installed fine, and the license key that come with the 32-bit boxed copy of ZAISS 2009 was accepted w/o any heartache.

However, after several reboots I found that the A/V definitions update isn't working (but the spyware definitions did update. ZAISS seems to get out to the internet w/o problem, as does Firefox, IE8 and Google Chrome. Do you know if there's currently a problem w/ the server(s) that the A/V definitions are on?
    Congradulation on your successful Install..

Yeas there is a Problem with the AV/As Update servers that Checkpoint is aware of and working on a Fix..

Here is a Quote from the forum moderator on that issue..

===================
    Hello,

We are aware of this issue and are fixing a server communication issue.

AV and AS updates should be back to normal in 24 hours or so.

Best regards,
    Forum Moderator

=================

the Servers will be back on line ASAP..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

cbinc11 Guest

Guru GeorgeV: unfortunately I didn't use the uninstaller. From what I found Googling the web before I started this, a number of people/sites were recommending that as a second course of action if the simple uninstall (Control Panel > Programs and Features) didn't work properly. Since McAfee appeared to uninstall, I didn't/haven't pursue it any further.

Could this be related to the problem I seem to be having with trying to get A/V updates?

cbinc11 Guest

Oops...sorry...I didn't see your reply (as I was responding at the same time)

Thread Information