Thread: Free zonealarm installation fails

adagadget Guest

Unhappy Free zonealarm installation fails

Hi,
    Can't find any references on the net on this issue.
    I am trying to install Free version of zone alarm. I tried it on a new Windows XP with latest updates and SP3 as well as on existing XP that has zone alarm.
    On both systems I get the following msg:
    "This patch package could not be opened. Contact application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package."

I have down loaded the installer with 3 different systems at different times in the last 24 hours, but no luck.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Ada

Post Re: Free zonealarm installation fails

Quote Originally Posted by adagadget View Post
    Hi,
    Can't find any references on the net on this issue.
    I am trying to install Free version of zone alarm. I tried it on a new Windows XP with latest updates and SP3 as well as on existing XP that has zone alarm.
    On both systems I get the following msg:
    "This patch package could not be opened. Contact application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package."

I have down loaded the installer with 3 different systems at different times in the last 24 hours, but no luck.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Ada
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

This Error Means you have a BAD or corrupted Download of ZAFree..

Delete that Files and Clean out your Browser Temp file..

The Try this mothod..

The simplest procedure is to :

1.Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

ZAFREE http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/free-upgrade-security-suite-zonealarm-firewall.htm

Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

adagadget Guest

Default Re: Free zonealarm installation fails

Thanks for your reply. Followed your instruction and result is the same msg.
    I do not use any accelerator or DN-mgr.
    I tried again on a clean XP install and en existing XP. Both has all the latest patches and SP.
    I am suspecting of a server side issue. If this is the case, hope they fix it quick since I have been trying for the past 24 hour.

Ada

Thanks for your reply. Followed your instruction and result is the same msg.
    I do not use any accelerator or DN-mgr.
    I tried again on a clean XP install and en existing XP. Both has all the latest patches and SP.
    I am suspecting of a server side issue. If this is the case, hope they fix it quick since I have been trying for the past 24 hour.

Ada
    I'm Sorry that your having a Problem..

1.) Are you using a Dialup connection? or Broadband Cable/DSL connection?

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

2.) Downloading the ZA file can be Corrupted or Blocked by many reasons..

a.) If you have other programs running like Games, Music, Burning a CD/DVD while downloading?

b.) Infected Computer can Block the Download of other Security Programs like Zone Alarm or Anti-Virus programs..

if that is the case I recomend the Following proceedure:

NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (7.0.470.000 or later). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Antispyware scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Disable system restore;
    2. Set ZA antispyware to "Deep inspection scan" under the advanced options on ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (detection);
    3. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    4. Manual run ZASS (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    5. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA antispyware back to recommended settings ("Intelligent quick scan")
    7. Ensable System restore

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
    How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

1. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running
    2. Download. update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running
    3. Download update and scan with A2 free

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to BleepingComputer or SpywareHammer

Please post back with your Progress report..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

adagadget Guest

Thank you all you wonderful people that tried to help me.
    I have set up a third system XP System and tried to install Zonealarm free edition. On both new installed XP's I have no applications installed. It is just a clean OS installation with latest updates and SP.
    I downloaded the ms installer directly from zone alarm, which is zaSetup_en.exe and it is 261 KB. I downloaded it once with IE 8 and once with Firefox 3.52 and I have highspeed broadband.The result is still failure on all 2 new XP's and existing XP.
    Then I downloaded the latest complete package from cnet (http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3...-10039884.html) and I installed it on the 2 new XP systems without any problem.

My own conclusion is that there is definitely a problem with zonealarm installer and knowing that free users are at the bottom of the pot with zonealarm, this may go on for sometimes, before zonealarm fixes this particular installer.
    So If you have any problem do what I did. Get the complete package from another reliable source and install it.

Thanks again
    Ada

St Phil Guest

Just out of curiosity, where did my post go? The one giving the link to cnet and saying I'd had exactly the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by St Phil View Post
    Just out of curiosity, where did my post go? The one giving the link to cnet and saying I'd had exactly the same problem?
    Please do not hijack other user threads. Use the search function. Your post is here: http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showthread.php?t=70281

Thank you

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

I downloaded the ms installer directly from zone alarm, which is zaSetup_en.exe and it is 261 KB.
    That is just the file that should connect to the ZA servers to download and install the full package. Were you connected when you tried using that? Or it may have been a problem with ZA servers, as they have had problems recently.

ChillmanDJ Guest

Then I downloaded the latest complete package from cnet (http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3...-10039884.html) and I installed it on the 2 new XP systems without any problem. Ada
    Thanks for this tip. I have just done the same thing and finally I have ZoneAlarm working on my new laptop after two weeks of frustration.

Thread Information