Thread: Continual reboot after upgrade

deaman Guest

Default Continual reboot after upgrade

I have successfully upgraded to ZA extreme on my laptop (vista) but when I followed the same procedure on my PC (XP) it will not start windows. It just runs to the Windows user password stage and then restarts again in a continual loop. If I do get my password in it starts to load the page but then restarts again. It was OK until I installed ZA extreme security, using ZA without problems before. Anybody got any suggestions please?

Default Re: Continual reboot after upgrade

Hello deaman,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

First can you go to this page. Print the document out, or copy and paste it into a Notepad file on your desktop.
    http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...97&action=view

Also print/copy my entire reply for reference, as we'll be without Internet access for the next part of my instructions.

======

Next, I'm going to have you boot to Safe Mode.

Turn the computer on or Restart the computer.
    Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
    Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

======

Once you are in Safe Mode, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and uninstall ZoneAlarm. Then follow the document that I had you print/copy out and remove all traces of ZoneAlarm.

When you're complete, restart your computer. It will boot your computer normally.

======

Go to ZoneAlarm.com and download a fresh installer for ZA Extreme. Then proceed with the installation process, and let me know of your progress.

TechnoPope Guest

Hello Chiaz,

I successfully installed ZA extreme last night on an XP PC and am having the same issue as deaman. Your suggestion links to a VISTA solution. Both deaman and I are on XP machines. Are the many specific steps of your VISTA solution still applicable? TIA

P.S. I did follow the ZA specified steps for a "clean" uninstall of my expiring ZA standard suite prior to installing the new extreme version.

Hi TechnoPope,

Deaman had an issue with installing ZA on Vista so I provided the link to instructions for Vista.

For XP (and 2000), try this.
    http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...96&action=view

deaman Guest

Thanks for trying to help Chiaz but it was upgrading to Extreme on my PC running XP that was the problem. The laptop running Vista took the upgrade OK.
    I have managed to remove Zone Alarm from my PC using safe mode so I can at least use the computer again but I still get a Windows message about the "system recovering from a serious error", which annoyingly will not go away no matter what I do.

*** BLEEP! ***
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 12th, 2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Removed Comments that Violated "Terms of Use" Policy

djnpt Guest

I've had Extreme on my XP machine since just after it came out. Just upgraded to the new 9.0 and no problems here!

deaman Guest

Thats good to know djnpt - at least there's hope! But I followed all the instructions from chiaz' link and removed the files etc. installed Extreme again and got the same result again - continual reboot. So I'm about to do it all again but perhaps this time I should load the version I was running before I bought the Extreme upgrade. At least that worked!

Post Re: Continual reboot after upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by deaman View Post
    Thats good to know djnpt - at least there's hope! But I followed all the instructions from chiaz' link and removed the files etc. installed Extreme again and got the same result again - continual reboot. So I'm about to do it all again but perhaps this time I should load the version I was running before I bought the Extreme upgrade. At least that worked!

By now you should realize, that if advise and suggestions from Users Here in thid Forum,
    are not Specific to your Own Computer, MAYBE it is time for you to Contact ZA Tech Support Directly with Full Details of your Computer and decribe your problem to them Free of Charge with a Valid ZA license Key..

Click on the ZA Support link in my Signature, Fill out the Live chat Login Form and Select Tech Support in the Bottom entry..

Good luck..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 9th, 2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

djnpt Guest

I wish I had stayed with my old Zone Alarm package now - *** BLEEP! ***
    deaman
    It has been reported many times in these forums that XP 'Media Center Edition' is not supported by ZA. Works for some but, not for others....in case this pertains to you.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 12th, 2009 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Removed Comment that Violated "Terms Of Use" Policy

Thumbs up Re: Continual reboot after upgrade

I wish I had stayed with my old Zone Alarm package now - .
    Maybe one thing this has taught you?

1.) Alway Save a copy of the Old Installer program..
    2.) Make Regular Full System Backups onto External HD or CD/DVD's

3.) Never Leap before you Look at all the Discriptions and system Requirements of any software, Before Installing any new program..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 12th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information