Thread: Excessive Page Faults

troutamerica Guest

Default Excessive Page Faults

PC XP SP3
    quad processesor Daell Vostro 410
    ZA 8.0.299
    DAT files are all current.

Problem: Computer running very slow, especially using IE8.
    Just rebooted.
    Windows Task Manager Stats:
    vsmon.exe 172,769K page faults
    4 instances of Scanning Process.exe 157,100K page faults (each)

Prior to reboot:
    Windows Task Manager Stats:
    zlclient.exe 1,576,000K page faults
    vsmon.exe 984,456 page faults
    4 instances of scanningprocess.exe (ranging from 150,000K to just over 1,000,000K)

Since most page faults are under 10,000K, there seemsa to be a real problem here. I changed my settings to allow windows to dynamically control the page size, but that hasn't helped much.

As an aside, I also recntly updated the version of java on my machine. I see that the process jqs.exe has 385,046 page faults (just after a reboot).

Any ideas?

car53 Guest

Default Re: Excessive Page Faults

I'm experiencing the same problem, with over 2.7 million page faults of vsmon.exe since turning on my computer, less than 45 min ago. Other than this browser, there are no other applications running.

The task manager shows seven copies of svchost.exe running, four at the SYSTEM level. The computer seems relatively slow getting up and running, but at least it doesn't get worse as the day goes on. The vsmon.exe page faults grows steadily throughout the day to 10s of thousands.

Can this be right? What's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by car53 View Post
    I'm experiencing the same problem, with over 2.7 million page faults of vsmon.exe since turning on my computer, less than 45 min ago. Other than this browser, there are no other applications running.

The task manager shows seven copies of svchost.exe running, four at the SYSTEM level. The computer seems relatively slow getting up and running, but at least it doesn't get worse as the day goes on. The vsmon.exe page faults grows steadily throughout the day to 10s of thousands.

Can this be right? What's the problem?

In order for Users in this Forum to Diagnose your problem, you need to provide more Information..

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country, without All the Details,without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

Whenever posting here- or Contacting ZA Tech Support, it is always advisable to list your:Windows OS (XP SP 2-3 / Vista SP1-2 / Windows 7 32-Bit/64-Bit), your ZoneAlarm product Type (Free,Pro,AV, Suite,Extreme) and ZA version number (7.0,8.0,9.0,9.1), Brand of Computer and CPU, is it a DeskTop or Laptop, List any other Security Programs installed.
    Last edited by GeorgeV; May 18th, 2010 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

car53 Guest

Sorry about not providing system details, but I didn't know if this was a computer problem or common occurrence of ZoneAlarm that is to be expected. In my case:
    . Dell Dimension 4700 desktop
    . Intel Pentium 4
    . Windows XP, Home, Version 2002, SP 3
    . ZoneAlarm Security Suite, Version 9.1.507
    . Only other security: Windows Defender (run once a day)

Page Faults for vsmon.exe is now up to 3.9 million ... and counting. I also notice that jqs.exe (Java Quick Starter) has 1.4 million Page Faults now.

car53 Guest

Perhaps I should have added JavaScript info:
    . Java Version 6.0.200 (Update 20)
    . J2SE Runtime Environment 1.5.0.110
    Using two Browers:
    . IE Version 8.0.6001.18702 (with Java Plug SSV Helper Version 6.0.200.2)
    . Firefox Version 3.6.3 (add-ons include Java Quick Starter 1.0 and Java Console 6.0.20).

As an aside, the ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker Toolbar won't work with Firefox (causes Firefox to hang) and the Java Console won't load on Firefox. No known Java problems with IE.

Quote Originally Posted by car53 View Post
    but I didn't know if this was a computer problem or common occurrence of ZoneAlarm that is to be expected.
    Actually I never seen this before, in case you are sure your ZA is not corrupted I would try to contact ZA technical support directly. In case you are not sure remove ZA with the specific remover and install again.

Vsmon is in-between any program in your computer and the internet. Weird actions by those programs may reflect the weird behavior of vsmon but not necessarily be a vsmon problem.

To isolate the problem try first to install ZASS without the toolbar and next start the system clean of third party software:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and ForceField (if present), and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

garywa Guest

My desktop PC shows similar results, but has never shown to be a problem in performance.

I did a web search for page fault and several results stated that its not really a fault and the name is somewhat misleading. It simply means that a program went to read memory and what it was looking for was not there and it had to access the page file on the hard disk to find what it was looking for.

Since it hasn't caused me any problems, I've never chased it down. As you can see on my system, several programs are showing high page fault counts.

Oh, ok... thanks for investigating, indeed... I see the same "faults" by vsmon and also many other software. I guess its like I/O read/write, if you loose yourself in this small details then you are likely to focus on non-issues.

For sure the only way to know if it is by design (as it looks it is) is to ask ZA development. You could try ZA technical official support but I am not sure they will have this information.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information