Thread: Unified Product & Anti-Virus auto-updates

bmcrose Guest

Post Unified Product & Anti-Virus auto-updates

Every 2-4 hrs I am getting auto Product & Anti-virus updates. Clicking the Quick Tasks 'check for updates' or Overview->Preferences 'check for updates' will also give an AV update along with the expected Product update. Setting the Overview->Preferences 'check for Product updates' to manually will stop the unified Product & Anti-virus updates and I will only get AV updates at whatever update frequency I have selected.
    On 9/4 zorkoff started a thread in the ZA Configurations Forum that sounds similar, but he got no replies. I was also seeing this issue in 8.0.400.020, however it presented itself a little differently and I couldn't understand what was going on until I installed 9.0.083.000.
    This is more of an annoyance than a broken system and I can set the Preferences 'check for updates' to manually and regularly check the forum to see if there are any new version updates or set the Anti-virus update frequency to 24 hours and let the rouge Product/AV updates be the driver for when I get updates.
    There must be others who have this issue but are ignoring it or are not aware of it. As a lone-voice going to ZA Support isn't going to do much good, I would probably get the uninstall/reinstall suggestion. Since it's a carryover from 8.0.400.020 to 9.0.083.000 I don't see any point in reinstalling.
    bmcrose

Default Re: Unified Product & Anti-Virus auto-updates

Hi!
    not sure I understand the problem. Quick task "check for update" or preferences --> check for updates, check BOTH product and AV/AS updates. "update now" within the AV/AS section check only for AV/AS signature updates. This is by design. You can set product update to manual (preferences) and AV/AS update to manual (advanced options of the AV/AS section) and update manually.

Product updates are not happening often (each month or two) and control is done often without any side effect or that you noticed it. You should ask ZA on the exact frequency.
    Some product update are also off, this is assessed by ZA staff on an ad-hoc bases. Always ask them to know more.

In summary, I have not understood what is your problem! This is why you would probably get vague support response?

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 8th, 2009 at 09:04 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

bmcrose Guest

Post Re: Unified Product & Anti-Virus auto-updates

If the Quick tasks "check for update" is a combined AV and product update that is new for 9.0.083.00 or new to me. In the past "check for update" would take about two seconds and give the message "system is up to date", there was no AV/AS done at the same time.
    The problem I am seeing is that I am getting two auto-updates, one for AV that I set up in the advanced options of the AV/AS section and the other from the Preferences which is both AV and Product updates. Under what circumstances should there be an auto Product update every 2-4 hours?
    bmcrose

Quote Originally Posted by bmcrose View Post
    If the Quick tasks "check for update" is a combined AV and product update that is new for 9.0.083.00 or new to me. In the past "check for update" would take about two seconds and give the message "system is up to date", there was no AV/AS done at the same time.
    The problem I am seeing is that I am getting two auto-updates, one for AV that I set up in the advanced options of the AV/AS section and the other from the Preferences which is both AV and Product updates. Under what circumstances should there be an auto Product update every 2-4 hours?
    bmcrose
    The New ZAAV/ZASS and ZAXS all now use a Unified AV/AS engine..

New unified anti-virus and anti-spyware engine:
    • Scans 80%-90% faster and combines anti-virus and anti-spyware into one scan
    • More advanced scan options– riskware, ADS, heuristic scanning, and more exception options
    • Additional on-access scan controls
    • On-access scanning now detects spyware

=============

If you Click 1.) Update Now, 2.) Scan Computer in the Quick task or 3.) Check for Product update.. (Overview/Preferences)

you will get a AV/AS Scan based on the (Scan Mode) Configuration set in AV/AS (Advances options )
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

I try again.
    This is valid for the latest version 9

Manual 'Check for updates' (in quick tasks and preferences) check both for AV/AS and product updates. You will be confonted with a pop-up window like this one

Manual "Update now" in AV/AS section check only AV/AS updates and the window that will appear is like this one:

The normal automatic updates are happening in the background and no window is displayed.

I cannot see any window every 2-4 hours.
    Could you please explain better what is the problem? Error message? Screenshot? What exactly you do?

In other words, if you get a pop-up window every 2 hour with product updates without pushing anything, then it is NOT normal, it is NOT by design and it is NOT happening here.
    Most probably corrupted settings. Did you imported the settings from the previous version? Or was it an upgrade?

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 8th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.

bmcrose Guest

No, the pop-up window does not come up automatically. If I see the "update in progress" arrow on the taskbar ZA icon, I go to the AV/AS panel and click "view update". If the update ends with both AV & System updates shown, then I know it's from an unwanted source. If the update ends with only AV update, then I know it's from the regularly scheduled update set through the Advanced Options.
    Before installing 9.0.083.000 I used cpes_clean, Ccleaner for files & registry and manually searched for ZoneAlarm & Zone Labs files and folders.
    Yesterday I went to Live Chat and they had me do the ZA reset routine, Ctrl/shift, right click ZA icon etc. It didn't help, I'm still getting automatic AV/Product updates.
    bmcrose

No, the pop-up window does not come up automatically. If I see the "update in progress" arrow on the taskbar ZA icon, I go to the AV/AS panel and click "view update". If the update ends with both AV & System updates shown, then I know it's from an unwanted source. If the update ends with only AV update, then I know it's from the regularly scheduled update set through the Advanced Options.
    Before installing 9.0.083.000 I used cpes_clean, Ccleaner for files & registry and manually searched for ZoneAlarm & Zone Labs files and folders.
    Yesterday I went to Live Chat and they had me do the ZA reset routine, Ctrl/shift, right click ZA icon etc. It didn't help, I'm still getting automatic AV/Product updates.
    bmcrose

ZA Tech Support can ONLY Help you if you provide Continued FEEDBACK..

If what they Suggested in your live Chat did not work for you, Tech Support does not know that, Unless you Enter Live Chat again with your case number and Tell them that did not work for you, then They can Suggest another method or at least Add your Problem to their "TODO" list for further investigation..

None of that will happen if you do not provide continued Feed-back to Tech Support..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

If the update ends with both AV & System updates shown, then I know it's from an unwanted source. If the update ends with only AV update, then I know it's from the regularly scheduled update set through the Advanced Options.
    I have not checked this here... I cannot even notice it updates. You could be a perfect beta tester, waiting the arrow to check ZA everytime...LOL. Apart from the joke and assuming it is the case, what is the problem? You cannot use the PC while updating? Your PC crash/hangs? Here I see that frequency of updates been respected... if one time yes and one time no the check is also combined with a product check... what is the issue?

I am afraid but you will need to keep following up with support and report that what they have suggested did not work. Also try to explain exactly the issue. For me it took 4 messages before I understood (and I still miss the point).

EDIT: Tried to look for some automatic updates but can only see AV/AS updates and not product updates. So I am not sure I can follow you ....

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 9th, 2009 at 10:50 AM.

Thread Information