Thread: Multiple Zone Alarm issues

pj777 Guest

Default Multiple Zone Alarm issues

I have wasted 2 days on this (some holiday): Yesterday, I get a notice that ZA is out of date. Go to update anti-virus, nothing happens, then I get error message. This happens for several hours. Go to update program, it says I need to upgrade - then it takes until today to be able to download version 9. Install it, still can't get anti-virus updates. I am also getting messages that svhost is trying to act like a server. Is anyone else having these kind of issues?

Post Re: Multiple Zone Alarm issues

Quote Originally Posted by pj777 View Post
    I have wasted 2 days on this (some holiday): Yesterday, I get a notice that ZA is out of date. Go to update anti-virus, nothing happens, then I get error message. This happens for several hours. Go to update program, it says I need to upgrade - then it takes until today to be able to download version 9. Install it, still can't get anti-virus updates. I am also getting messages that svhost is trying to act like a server. Is anyone else having these kind of issues?

Sorry but, It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

1.) we do not know what Version of ZoneAlarm 8 or 9 that your having a problem with..

2.) we do not even know what version of Windows you have (XP/Vista/Windows 7) and whether your Windows is Up to date with Latest Microsoft Update..

3.) Based on the Very limited details you have provided..

It sounds like a.) you may be infected with Mal ware that is Blocking Zone Alarm from Updating, or
    b.) you have installed Multiple Security programs on you Computer that may be Conflicting with Zone Alarm..

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues remove the other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, Trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-Spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

======================
    To Check for Mal ware try the Following..

NOTE: the steps below works only if you are on the latest versions of ZA (7.0.470.000 or later). If you are not, please update.
    Try to perform a full Antivirus/Anticipate scan but in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING.

1. Disable system restore;
    2. Set ZA Antivirus/antispyware to "Ultra Deep Scan" under the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan modes);
    3. Reboot in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
    4. Manual run ZA (ZA firewall will be OFF but Antivirus/Antispyware will be functional);
    5. Run a full ZA AV/AS scan;
    5. Reboot in Normal Mode
    6. Set ZA Antivirus/Antispyware back to Normal
    7. Ensable System restore

How to start in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
    How to disable windows SYSTEM RESTORE

If the above fails try to clean your system with:

1. Download update and scan with MBAM
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running
    2. Download. update and scan with superantispyware FREE
    WARNING: Some malware will block the download of this software, rename the installer to a random name before saving and running
    3. Download update and scan with A2 free

Still Problems? Try the bootable CD fromDrWeb

if ALL the above fails please post your Hijackthis log to BleepingComputer or SpywareHammer

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 7th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

pj777 Guest

Default Re: Multiple Zone Alarm issues

Thank you for your reply. As it turns out - None of the above was the issue. The issue was ZA8.

Apparently anyone with ZA8 needs to upgrade to ZA9.
    THEN, when you get ZA9, you have to add zonelabs.com twice to the allowed sites in the firewall.

It would have been nice to have known this 2 days ago...

Quote Originally Posted by pj777 View Post
    add zonelabs.com twice to the allowed sites
    A sidenote... the above should not be needed, never done it in years of use...

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

thanet1 Guest

I have the same problem except that I can't get the upgrade. Version 8 no longer works for virus updates and the system upgrade tells me that its OK, it won't give me version 9. Is this a major bug or what? A week now without virus updates, if there is no news I'll have to find another programme.

tony_a Guest

Apparently, the auto update is activated when ZoneLabs feels confident there are no major bugs in the release.

But, Version 9 ZASS can be downloaded directly from:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...083_000_en.exe

Other versions of ZA should be nearby.

I downloaded it on Monday, it took over 11 hours on my dial-up line at an average rate of 3.1kb/sec. Total size was 110.807MB. I haven't installed and tried it yet.

Hope it fixes your problem - you can draw your own conclusions as to why V8 AV updates don't work.

Tony

tonybuck Guest

Red face Re: Multiple Zone Alarm issues

Thanks for the link in the preceding reply. I bought 90_483_000 over the net, and what was provided was a much smaller loader file which then downloads and installs without saving the big file. Now I've downloaded the big file as insurance (against the unlikely event of needing to reinstall when the file on Check Point's site is unavailable to me).

Even at a moderately fast DSL rate, it took around 10 minutes. I feel for anyone using dialup these days, vendors generally assume a hundred MB is no problem for anyone.

tonybuck Guest

Unhappy Re: Multiple Zone Alarm issues

Oops, 083, not 483

Quote Originally Posted by tonybuck View Post
    Oops, 083, not 483
    You can edit your post.... just use the EDIT button within your message and voila'...

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

Thread Information