Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor PC performance/ ZA forgets settings

abelone Guest

Unhappy Poor PC performance/ ZA forgets settings

I have been using ZA for some years and it was fine until about a year ago, probably after one of the version 7 upgrades.
    Now the performance of my PC has degraded to such an extent that I hardly use it (as I also have a laptop - which doesn't run ZA). It takes at least ten minutes to boot up and most of this is starting up ZA; when it is scanning I cannot use the PC for anything else and even when it isn't, all programs take an age to open up and are very slow, e.g. to switch between the main overview window of ZA and the product info window takes about 30 seconds.
    Also, it no longer appears to remember settings although I always check the box, and constantly asks for confirmations.

I hoped the version 8 upgrade (I am now on 8.0.298.035) would fix the issues but it hasn't and before I give it up completely and uninstall ZA I thought I would just ask if perhaps there is something I ought to try first.

It IS an old PC, running windows XP SP3 on a Pentium 1.8 with 500Mb RAM, so maybe this is just as fast as it will go, but it was usable before!
    Any advice gratefully received, thank you

Default Re: Poor PC performance/ ZA forgets settings

Hi abelone,

Let's try resetting the database. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings, but re-establishing them is a simple process.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together.
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock in the system tray lower right corner.
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up.
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box.
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system.
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot.

Let me know if this solved your issue. Thanks.

wbblakemore Guest

I've had the same problem with ZA Extreme Security on a fairly consistent basis. Frankly, I've only found one reliable way to work around the problem.

Disable ZA from loading at start-up. Once Windows has started successfully, then manually start ZA from the Start Menu. You will also have to exit ZA manually before shutting down Windows. From a layman's view, it seems like that there is a problem with ZA being shut down by Windows, and that problem causes ZA to lose its security settings, resulting in humongous boot loading times when Windows is next started with ZA active.

Quote Originally Posted by wbblakemore View Post
    Disable ZA from loading at start-up.
    Please note that by UNchecking the "Load ZoneAlarm... at startup" you will expose your ZA to tampering by malware, since ZA will not protect its processes at boot.

Security wise better to investigate the cause of the problem rather then disabling ZA. If that is not possible better to find an alternative.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wbblakemore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Please note that by UNchecking the "Load ZoneAlarm... at startup" you will expose your ZA to tampering by malware, since ZA will not protect its processes at boot.

Security wise better to investigate the cause of the problem rather then disabling ZA. If that is not possible better to find an alternative.

Cheers,
    Fax
    In the best of all possible worlds, I would agree with you ...

However, I've searched the board here, and while I've seen many reports of this problem, I haven't seen any solutions other than the one I initially posted that worked for me. I've also contacted Live Support several times, to no avail (they seem more concerned with trying to restore the lost settings rather than to find a solution as to why the settings keep getting lost).

While disabling ZA until after boot time does have the disadvantage of leaving the computer unprotected until it's started manually, that solution does have the advantage of actually working.

As far as your suggestion to find a better alternative product, I assure you that my search is already underway.

I've seen many reports of this problem, I haven't seen any solutions other than the one I initially posted that worked for me.
    Such as? What have you tried? Feel free to ask for support in a new thread. May be there is still things you can try to troubleshoot the issue and avoiding creating a more serious problem then the solution.

It is also important you detail what you have done, RAM available, age of the PC, other tools running at boot. If you have 1GIGA of RAM or less and many items booting then its normal that you have a slow boot.

Have you tried the latest 9 version. It is much lighter and it may help. Please try a clean install to be sure to start fresh.

An easy test to see if ZA is the culprit of your slowdown is to boot your system selectively:

1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor and forcefield, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer

How does it work?

NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.

Cheers,
    Fax

wbblakemore Guest

Been there, done that ... and I do software development for a living (and have, for over 30 years).

The problem is basically intermittent - in my case, it happens approximately one time in three boots, regardless of any additional processes I have running. Whether or not the boot is clean isn't an issue, since the basic problem seems to happen at Windows logoff, not at start-up, when ZA seems to lose where it keeps its security settings. At the next Windows login, ZA scans everything at boot-up, including giving multiple error messages as it tries to start itself (high security alerts about zlclient trying to start zlcient, for example).
    What I can say for certain is that manually stopping ZA before logging off seems to result in much quicker shutdown times and no lost security settings. I've turned off ZA loading at startup, just to ensure that I won't have 15 minute startup times (as opposed to 20 second startup times when ZA hasn't lost its settings, your comments about older computers and loading other apps to the contrary).

I'm downloading the latest version (9.0) now to see if that will make a difference. However, based on the number and dates of the messages posted here (without any clear solutions to the problem, or even a likely-sounding explanation)

Snip *** Against ToS ****
    Last edited by fax; September 2nd, 2009 at 01:35 PM.

Hi!
    thank you for the detailed feedback, please stick to the issue (ie. ZA boot/shutdown) or the thread will be closed.
    If you are not here for others users support there is little use to post. As you know ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users here trying to help each other.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Cheers,
    Fax

wbblakemore Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Hi!
    thank you for the detailed feedback, please stick to the issue (ie. ZA boot/shutdown) or the thread will be closed.
    If you are not here for others users support there is little use to post. As you know ZA staff does not monitor this board, we are all users here trying to help each other.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Given your editing of my previous post, I don't see how it's possible for me to make a meaningful reply to that.

Thumbs up Re: Poor PC performance/ ZA forgets settings

Given your editing of my previous post, I don't see how it's possible for me to make a meaningful reply to that.

We are sorry but this is NOT a Public Chat Forum, The sole Purpose of this ZA User Forum, is to provide some help with User Problems dealing ONLY with Zone Alarm Products..

Aparently you did not read the User Guidelines or "Terms of Use" Policy of this forum.. Here is a Link to Those Three Policy Documents

http://www.zaforums-stg.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Thank you in advance for your Cooperation in this issue..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information