Thread: FireFox update + Google Search box

stormsy Guest

Question FireFox update + Google Search box

I am not sure why this is, or has, happened. But everytime I go onto the Google search page, the search box (along with the two buttons "Google Search" and "I'm feeling Lucky") appear bigger than before - but it happens occasionally; there is no coherency to it. I have tried changing the font size within FireFox, I have reset the zoom for FireFox. I'm not sure why this is happening. It began to happen around the time I update FireFox to version 3.0.14. It's also happened with IE8 too, but again only occasionally - I have scanned with MBAM and Spybot; both reveal nothing.

When I updated FireFox, I closed down FF and then updated. Once done, I restarted FF and then cleared the virtual data.

Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with the Google page on Google's behalf? Like that time when every link contained malware...?

This isn't worrying me much - but its a problem, and I would like to solve it.

Ta,
    Stormsy.
    Last edited by stormsy; September 10th, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

Post Re: FireFox update + Google Search box

Quote Originally Posted by stormsy View Post
    I am not sure why this is, or has, happened. But everytime I go onto the Google search page, the search box (along with the two buttons "Google Search" and "I'm feeling Lucky") appear bigger than before - but it happens occasionally; there is no coherency to it. I have tried changing the font size within FireFox, I have reset the zoom for FireFox. I'm not sure why this is happening. It began to happen around the time I update FireFox to version 3.0.14. It's also happened with IE8 too, but again only occasionally - I have scanned with MBAM and Spybot; both reveal nothing.

When I updated FireFox, I closed down FF and then updated. Once done, I restarted FF and then cleared the virtual data.

Any thoughts? Is there something wrong with the Google page on Google's behalf? Like that time when every link contained malware...?

This isn't worrying me much - but its a problem, and I would like to solve it.

Ta,
    Stormsy.

It is Sometimes very Difficult to Diagnose and fix a Computer from halfway across the Country,
    without All the Details, without the ability to sit in front of your Computer monitor and see what's going on..

If you would Describe your Computer Setup/Windows OS Version and Version of Zone Alarm that you are having a problem with

there are several very knowledgeable Volunteer Participants willing to help you try solving your problem with Zone Alarm..

----------------

Have you tried Shutting down whatever type of Zone Alarm you have and try your Google connection and see if the same problem exits, it so then it is not related to zoneAlarm..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

stormsy Guest

Default Re: FireFox update + Google Search box

Okay, I am running WinXP SP3, along with ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.400.020.

When I shut down FF there didn't seem to be any effect. It's beginning to bug me a little now...

Just curious if anyone else has this issue too after updating to FireFox 3.0.14...?

Stormsy.
    Last edited by stormsy; September 10th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Okay, I am running WinXP SP3, along with ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 8.0.400.020.

When I shut down FF there didn't seem to be any effect. It's beginning to bug me a little now...

Just curious if anyone else has this issue too after updating to FireFox 3.0.14...?

Stormsy.
    Have you tried Shuting down ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and see if the problem still exist?
    GeorgeV

stormsy Guest

The problem still exists when I shut down ZA. It has to be a problem at Google's end; but I can't tell for sure unless somebody else says they too have the same problem.

MBAM, Spybot and ZA results show nothing! Clean...

Confused now...
    Stormsy.

EDIT: Just played around with the font size settings in FrieFox, and there was no effect, whatsoever, to the size of the search bar and the two buttons underneath. Therefore, it must be to do with something happening at Google's end.

EDIT 2: Looked the issue up on the net - it is all to do with Google. There's an article from "The Register" about it. Here is the link for you to read; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/10/google_big_box/
    It explains it all...
    Last edited by stormsy; September 11th, 2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Update info.

The problem still exists when I shut down ZA. It has to be a problem at Google's end; but I can't tell for sure unless somebody else says they too have the same problem.

MBAM, Spybot and ZA results show nothing! Clean...

Confused now...
    Stormsy.

EDIT: Just played around with the font size settings in FrieFox, and there was no effect, whatsoever, to the size of the search bar and the two buttons underneath. Therefore, it must be to do with something happening at Google's end.

EDIT 2: Looked the issue up on the net - it is all to do with Google. There's an article from "The Register" about it. Here is the link for you to read; http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/10/google_big_box/
    It explains it all...

Please read the following Forum Trend..

http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showthread.php?t=70172
    GeorgeV

cliff_rigg Guest

Cool Re: FireFox update + Google Search box

Hi Stormsy and Gurus,

Don't worry Stormsy, you're not going nuts (I think)...

I too have noticed this variable font and search box size. Mine appeared when I updated FF to 3.5.3 several days ago. Like you, the search box and buttons appear around twice the old size and I see it both using FF and IE8.

I had assumed that the font-size change was intentional as, unlike you, I never see the search box or text revert to the old size.

My software is fully patched (according to PSI), I check my system regularly for malware and have had no infections for several years now so I am not sure that the two are related.

Hope this helps to calm your fears...

Best Regards,
    Cliff.

Windows XP Pro (fully patched)

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:992962886
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200909.6565
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429