Thread: Internet connection speed dropping of by 50%

bjwzone Guest

Cool Internet connection speed dropping of by 50%

I have been noticing my internet connection speed getting progressively worse. The fire fox browser dropping out on time out repeatably. I run a download speed test with and without zone alarm and found the speed dropped of more than 50%. 3.78Mbs line and 473kbps dload verse 9.95mbs and 1.22mbs without zone alarm.

Is this a configuration issue with Zone alarm security suite ver 8.0.298.035?

Cheers greatly for any assistance

garywa Guest

Default Re: Internet connection speed dropping of by 50%

I am running a later version of ZAISS than you, but even when I was running 8.0.298 I never had connection speed problems that were in any way related to ZAISS.

I have never used Firefox so I don't know if that is an issue or not. I am running 2 PCs with WinXP Pro SP3 and internet browser IE7.

I have 10/2Mb/s internet service and get very close to the provisioned speed. Here is one speed test result, with ZAISS running.

I don't think ZAISS is causing your problem, but many, many other things can cause internet slowdowns. For instance, are you using a router? Is your PC connected wired (ethernet) or wireless to a router? How many different speed test sites have you tested with? Some days, I can get different results from different speed test sites for no good reason.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:992850266
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200909.6565
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    Last edited by garywa; September 13th, 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Post Re: Internet connection speed dropping of by 50%

Quote Originally Posted by garywa View Post
    I am running a later version of ZAISS than you, but even when I was running 8.0.298 I never had connection speed problems that were in any way related to ZAISS.

I have never used Firefox so I don't know if that is an issue or not. I am running 2 PCs with WinXP Pro SP3 and internet browser IE7.

I have 10/2Mb/s internet service and get very close to the provisioned speed. Here is one speed test result, with ZAISS running.

I don't think ZAISS is causing your problem, but many, many other things can cause internet slowdowns. For instance, are you using a router? Is your PC connected wired (ethernet) or wireless to a router? How many different speed test sites have you tested with? Some days, I can get different results from different speed test sites for no good reason.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.400.020

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:9.0.083.000
    TrueVector version:9.0.083.000
    Driver version:9.0.083.000
    Anti-virus engine version:8.0.1.33
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:992832544
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.2083
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.5.31.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.3.158.41
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.101.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 03.865
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 13th, 2009 at 08:21 PM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

amkrocky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bjwzone View Post
    I have been noticing my internet connection speed getting progressively worse. The fire fox browser dropping out on time out repeatably. I run a download speed test with and without zone alarm and found the speed dropped of more than 50%. 3.78Mbs line and 473kbps dload verse 9.95mbs and 1.22mbs without zone alarm.

Follow these steps to increase the speed:

1. Go to Start-> Run-> and type gpedit.msc
    2. Expand the Administrative Templates branch
    3. Expand the Network tab
    4. Highlight QoS Packet Scheduler
    5. Click on Limit Reservable Bandwidth and check the enabled box
    6. Then Change the Bandwidth limit % to 0 %
    Then you can check the internet speed from http://www.ip-details.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bjwzone View Post

Might be related to the network card... update the drivers or check with another one.

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

billdickason Guest

This is somewhat related and rather than posting separately, I will make my observations and see if this gives any insights.

I have an Ethernet card in my desktop which is wired to a cable modem – no router. My ISP is Charter. I am supposed to have 5 mbps service. I have used 2 different speed tests. My browser is IE 7.

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://spt01spbgsc.spbg.sc.charter.com/

I am using the free Zone Alarm. When using the first site with a server here in town, I get 8 mbps download and 1 mbps upload. With the Charter server which is 70 miles away, I get 3 mbps and 1 mbps.

Now if I turn off ZA, the speeds from the first test site do not change. However, the Charter site now shows speeds of 5 mbps and 1mbps. That is a 40% reduction with ZA.

What is the true speed and why does it vary in some cases? I have used some other speed test and also get the high numbers with ZA active. I have also ran repeat tests and the numbers are not flukes.

Do I need to do something to ZA settings, or is it a nonissue?

Non-issue

Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Forum-Moderator; November 19th, 2009 at 03:38 PM.

billdickason Guest

It was not my intent to touch a raw nerve.
    You could have simply said it was a nonissue, rather than providing a harangue.
    For example, if you haven't taken the poll how can you say:
    "If we took a poll of the over 2 million active ZA users people with a noticeable slow down would be a fraction of 1%"
    I did not mean to attribute anything the distance. I mentioned that I had used other test sites and got the high speeds. These are probably widely geographically located.
    I am just trying to make sense out of conflicting data.

Hello,

Your correct.

Non-issue.

Forum Moderator

Thread Information