Thread: Zone Alarm and different user

chasgarvin Guest

Default Zone Alarm and different user

I am running XP with 2 different users, both set up as admin. I have the latest version of Zone Alarm free Firewall instaled. When I log on as the first user, from where I installed Zone Alarm, all works fine. When I switch users I get a pop up that says:

Zone Alarm Client has encountered a problem and needs to close, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Also when I drag the mouse over the tray item for ZA it says Protection up UI initializing.

If I close the pop up then ZA will cose in most cases but sometime it has locked up the computer and forced a reboot. If it closes, I have been able to do some work but it has locked up at times.
    If I switch users back to the original one after closing the pop up all appears to work fine for that user.
    I have tried different combinations of deleteing and readding user and reinstalling ZA with no change in the outcome.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

canfieldelec Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm and different user

I am having the same problem.
    Using Win XP Home Edition SP3
    ZoneAlarm Pro ver. 8.0.400.020

When I log on using the admin account from which ZA Pro was installed, everything runs smoothly.
    However, if I attempt to log on as any other user, be they an admin or limited, zlclient.exe crashes immediately.

I initially thought it might be a permissions issue, so I logged into safe mode, and gave each individual user full control over the entire Program Files / ZoneAlarm folder but the program still crashes anytime a user other than the one that installed ZA logs in.

This only started occurring when I upgraded to this latest release of ZA. Previously, it worked flawlessly for all users.

Post Re: Zone Alarm and different user

Quote Originally Posted by canfieldelec View Post
    I am having the same problem.
    Using Win XP Home Edition SP3
    ZoneAlarm Pro ver. 8.0.400.020

When I log on using the admin account from which ZA Pro was installed, everything runs smoothly.
    However, if I attempt to log on as any other user, be they an admin or limited, zlclient.exe crashes immediately.

I initially thought it might be a permissions issue, so I logged into safe mode, and gave each individual user full control over the entire Program Files / ZoneAlarm folder but the program still crashes anytime a user other than the one that installed ZA logs in.

This only started occurring when I upgraded to this latest release of ZA. Previously, it worked flawlessly for all users.
    to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

Please Contach ZA Tech Support directly with full details of your problem..

Tech Support does not Monitor this User Forum..

Click the Support Link in my Signature for Live Text Chat ..

Durring the Live Chat Longin Select Tech Support or Customer service Support..

Post back here in the Forum and let us know what you find out..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

canfieldelec Guest

Thanks for the welcome George.

I'm not going to bother for now, as downgrading to version 8.0.298.000 solved the problem completely.

If and when I do have to deal with this situation again, is there a phone number I can call? I hate IM chatting for tech support. Takes 10 times as long as a simple phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by canfieldelec View Post
    is there a phone number I can call? I hate IM chatting for tech support.
    Nope, never been a free phone support. IMO, much easier and faster to receive detailed troubleshooting steps in written on the spot than by phone.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information