Thread: [SOLVED] ZAXS - Antivirus Failed to initialize --> REMOVE Stardock software

Sital Guest

Default [SOLVED] ZAXS - Antivirus Failed to initialize --> REMOVE Stardock software

I got an error stating my AV failed to initalize, so rebooted, reinstalled twice, uninstalled with the Zonalarm uninstaller, rebooted, ran the cleaner, ran disc cleanup, ran Ccleaner, rebooted, reinstalled, same message, rebooted again, same message. I'm on vista 64 and I downloaded a fresh copy of the installer today as well.
    I tried the live support as noted in another post, (so they wouldn't have to wait), and it is closed.
    It seems to be working just fine other than the AV, but that is a fairly important part of the program for me.
    Thanks
    Last edited by fax; September 14th, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Title

Default Re: ZAXS - Antivirus Failed to initialize

Quote Originally Posted by Sital View Post
    I tried the live support as noted in another post, (so they wouldn't have to wait), and it is closed. Thanks
    You have to note the opening hours. The ZA technical support is closed during the WE.
    You have to ensure you are installing with FULL administrative privileges. Your previous security tool may have corrupted your system permissions or current software running is conflicting with ZA.

A simple test to perform is to boot in SAFE MODE with NETWORKING, run ZA manually and see if it initialize and scan. If yes, something (most probably a third party service or program) is conflicting with the antivirus. If not, some parts of ZA have been blocked at install phase and ZA cannot initialize. Ensure to run the ZA removal tool, to clean the system from any core left over.

You should also double check you are actually installing the latest version 9.

Hope this gives you more information to play with your system.

Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 13th, 2009 at 10:29 PM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Sital Guest

It is the latest, this is a brand new machine that was built 2 weeks ago, this is the first security software that has been on the machine other than the default windows firewall and windows defender ( I disabled both to see if they were the problem).
    It was working fine until yesterday, I changed some UI items with Stardock software, but other than that, no major system changes, I reverted those all back just in case it was the issue, no change.
    I have installed as admin everytime (logged on with an admin account), the last two installations I implicitly selected Run As Administrator ( I did so on the unistaller and the cleaner (the ZA Removal Tool) as well).
    One interesting thing I noticed is if I close the instance of ZA that loads with windows, and run it from start>programs>zone labs as admin, it updates just fine.
    I have tried chkdsk as well if that makes any difference.
    I've been Using ZASS and now ZAXS for a couple years on multiple machines, both vista and XP, and have never had this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sital View Post
    with Stardock software, but other than that, no major system changes, I reverted those all back just in case it was the issue, no change.
    That is probably the issue, if you search for stardock you will find several posts about it. It cause problems to ZA.
    Anything that is not standard in the OS installation can be the culprit. To test for problem you need to remove or fully disable any third party software.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 14th, 2009 at 01:55 PM.

Sital Guest

after completely uninstalling the stardock it installed fine, this is odd since I have stardock on two other machines and it seems to be fine with ZA, so I guess I need to get granular and find the exact component causing the trouble, thanks much for the assistance!

You're welcome!
    Glad you mention "stardock" otherwise I would have not really guessed it...

WIll change title and close the thread.

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 14th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Thread Information