Thread: ZAX8 compared to ZAX9 - Impact on overall system performance.

lalittle Guest

Default ZAX8 compared to ZAX9 - Impact on overall system performance.

How does ZAX 9 compare to ZAX 8 with regard to overall impact on system performance? I'm using the most recent version of ZAX 8 on 4 different systems (2 licenses), and I notice a significant impact on performance at random moments (i.e. it doesn't always happen) when either opening programs, or when web browsing. Sometimes things work fine, but going to any given website (Google, for example) will sometimes cause pauses of over a minute long before IE8 begins responding again (this appears to be related to FF w/virtualization.) Dumping the virtual cache (and IE8 files) has no real impact on this behavior.

I also see long pauses when rebooting, with a "FF is not responding" pop-up that will stay on the screen for several minutes sometimes before disappearing.

I've read a few posts that mention lower memory and cpu usage with version 9, as well as improved virus scanning peformance, but how does this translate to overall "noticeable" impact on system performance compared to version 8, particularly in the areas I mentioned? In my case, it seems like the slowdowns are accompanied by lots of hard drive thrashing, so I'm not sure how much noticeable difference I'll see with just lower cpu and memory usage.

I'm using XP SP3, so I'd be particularly interested in hearing from people who used both 8 and 9 on an XP system, but any feedback would still be helpful.

Thanks,

Larry
    Last edited by lalittle; September 17th, 2009 at 02:16 AM.

Default Re: ZAX8 compared to ZAX9 - Impact on overall system performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lalittle View Post
    but how does this translate to overall "noticeable" impact on system performance compared to version 8, particularly in the areas I mentioned? Larry
    Unfortunately you will need to try it since it is different depending on the system you are intalling on.

Let us know your impression!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lalittle Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fax View Post
    Unfortunately you will need to try it since it is different depending on the system you are intalling on.

Let us know your impression!

Cheers,
    Fax
    I'll certainly do that if/when I try version 9, but in the mean time I'd still be interested in hearing other people's experiences with this so I can get an impression of the "average" opinion about this, and therefore so I can decide if I want to try version 9 at this time. If version 9 has markedly lighter impact on performance, we'd likely see a general consensus in this regard.

Thanks again for any feedback on this,

Larry

lalittle Guest

This thread was moved to the "Off-topic" forum, but could the moderator possibly consider moving it to one of the "Zonealarm" forums instead (perhaps the "General" forum)? This question is definitely on the "topic" of Zonealarm, and I fear that most users don't read the "off-topic" forum since the implication is that posts here have nothing to do with ZA related questions.

I think this is a very valid question to ask here for users considering whether or not to upgrade to version 9. Note that I originally put it in the "Installation" thread because the heart of my question is that I'm trying to decide whether or not to install version 9 at this time.

Thanks,

Larry
    Last edited by lalittle; September 17th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

Post Re: ZAX8 compared to ZAX9 - Impact on overall system performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lalittle View Post
    I'll certainly do that if/when I try version 9, but in the mean time I'd still be interested in hearing other people's experiences with this so I can get an impression of the "average" opinion about this, and therefore so I can decide if I want to try version 9 at this time. If version 9 has markedly lighter impact on performance, we'd likely see a general consensus in this regard.

Thanks again for any feedback on this,

Larry

Please Remember, as a General rule, this ZA User Forum exist to Resolve Problems with the ZoneAlarm Product.. and is not Intended as a Chat or Consensus Forum..

Forum Guidelines

The ZoneAlarm User Community Forums is provided by Check Point Software Technologies as a service to users of our ZoneAlarm , ZoneAlarm Anti-virus, and ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security firewall products. We welcome you, and ask that you abide by the following community guidelines when you are posting to the forums (these are in addition to the Terms of Use you agreed to when registering with us).

Stay on topic. Please refrain from postings that are not relevant to ZoneAlarm, firewall issues, and network security. Off-topic conversations should be moved to the Off-Topic board, BUT, it is not a general chat board.

http://www.zaforums-stg.com/showthread.php?t=39467
    1.) If you contact Customer Service or Tech Support, they will Recomend that you download, Install and Try the Latest Update on Your Own Computer and develope your Own Consensus Durring the 15 day Trial period..

2.) If you don't try the Product then you don't have a ZoneAlarm Problem that we can Help you with..

Thank you for your Cooperation in this Mater..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information