Thread: Are Zonealarm 9 Series IPv6 compatible?

eyesineyes Guest

Default Are Zonealarm 9 Series IPv6 compatible?

Avira Antivir is using both IPv6 and IPv4 protocols to update the virus signature files. But after installation of ZAAV9, I never got Avira updated successfully.

It kept reporting errors like following when updating.

[UPD] [INFO] Downloading of 'http://[2a01:138:a001:201::21]/update/idx/master.idx' to 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\idx\master.idx'.
    [UPDLIB] [ERROR] Download manager: An error occurred inside the WinINet library.

Default Re: Are Zonealarm 9 Series IPv6 compatible?

Hi!
    you can't install both at the same time. Either choose a version of ZA without the AV or remove Avira.
    ZA 9 is IP6 compatible, check the ZA firewall options if IP6 protocol is activated.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eyesineyes Guest

Thanks, but could you tell me where the options are for IPV6?

Post Re: Are Zonealarm 9 Series IPv6 compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by eyesineyes View Post
    Thanks, but could you tell me where the options are for IPV6?
    on Version 9.0 Series

Bring up ZA Control Menu
    Click Firewall - Main page
    Click "Advanced"
    Look at the Bottom option..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time

naivemelody Guest

Exclamation Re: Never use two anti-virus software

eyesineyes, I use Avira and ZA Pro 8.0 and I too have had update problems recently with exactly the same "An error occurred inside the WinINet library" but if you look closely at all the 'error' dialogue boxes one will also say "servers are busy, please manual update later - 120 minutes/ later, etc." words to these effects - so this is a Avira end issue, not ZA factor. Yes, Avira they're celebrating their 10th anniversary - changing GUI to reflect it...

ZA 9 series - not an issue. IPv6 - not an issue. Avira - servers - busy is the issue.

It's always a good idea to check with the software's own forum whenever there are update problems/ functionality; as I did with Avira > if you see others posting update problems, then there's your answer. Go to Avira forum and you will see it.
    __________________________________________________ ________

Tip for all: whenever there are update issues with other brand software:
    - you can check 'their' forums/ FAQS or support to see if it's that particular software
    - in ZA firewall > Program Control - you can try "temporarily" lowering 'program control' from 'high' to 'medium' ~ (this sometimes helps/works with Microsoft updates issues)
    - in ZA firewall > Program Control panel - make sure that program has 'super trusted= three green bars' and more check marks for 'Access' and 'Server'
    __________________________________________________ __________
    eyesineyes, this is important... Please un-install one of your anti-virus software.

Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility/ 'removal tool' or if not available, use the Windows XP/ Vista add/remove software tool in the control panel.

Caution: Many of today's hybrid anti-spyware software will now include anti-virus protection; be aware they may conflict with your main anti-virus software. Please read the details of your chosen anti-spyware protection. New hybrid Anti-spyware with Anti-virus software:
    ...like Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware or PCTools SpywareDoctor with Integrated AntiVirus, or SunbeltSoftware CounterSpy with VIPRE, PCTools ThreatFire, paid versions of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Plus + Ad-Aware Pro,
    Emsisoft A-Squared Anti-Malware (free and paid versions) now contains anti-virus too, etc.
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    NaiveMelody NYC 9-19-09 - Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind? - The Lovin' Spoonful
    Last edited by naivemelody; September 19th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Thank you Naivemelody, nice piece of information!!
    Nono, you are not correct, if something goes wrong it must be ZA, lol

Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

woodword Guest

Since Zonealarm 8, Zonealarm series have been IPv6 compatible. Both Pro and ZISS edition can protect you in IPv6 environment. Maybe the problem is that you install two antivirus products simutaneously. I suggest you uninstall the Avira Antivir (free edition I guess ? ), because with the powerful integrated Kaspersky engine, I believe ZAV is more worthy to use.

eyesineyes Guest

@fax

Thank your for your tips.

@naivemelody

now I get it. Thank you very much.
    I have checked the Avira forum. And I know it maybe is avira's server side problem. As what I saw in Avira forum, if you mention you have update problem, they will suggest you install HijackThis and post the log file, and then they will ask you to uninstall other security software like Zonealarm, since they believe 'More security software doesn't mean more safety'. That means if I send them my Hijackthis log file, they will ask me to uninstall Zonealarm, HIPS, Sandboxie, etc. As a matter of fact, with my setup, I have no conflict at all.

@woodword

Yes, I am using Antivir Personal Edition.
    ZAAV seems having some minor bugs on my computer. I will make my dicision when ZAAV is stable enough.
    Last edited by eyesineyes; September 19th, 2009 at 05:31 AM.

Thread Information