Thread: Firefox Bookmarks (v 3.5.3), default browser and new networks...

ricksgotadrama Guest

Default Firefox Bookmarks (v 3.5.3), default browser and new networks...

Hello all.

Apologies if these have been covered previously - I see a few threads, but no definitive solutions.

I upgraded from ZAISS to ZAX a few days ago, (complete uninstall of ZAISS and install of ZAX) and I've noticed a few things that are bugging me. The main thing is that I appear unable to bookmark anything - none of the "my bookmarks dissappear when I clear virtualisation data" here, as it just won't save any, at all, ever! And I hate to say it as I really don't want to use it, but IE8 works just fine.

Forcefield also completely ignores my choice of default browser regardless of whether I change the default in the browser options and/or via program access and defaults. It opens Firefox every single time when I click on Private, Unprotected or Open Browser on the right click options of my ZA taskbar icon.

One more thing - not Forcefield related - since installing ZAX, every time the router here is switched on the new network found box appears. It asks every time, even though the network (192.168.0) has been "found" many times before. Is this just because the router is assigning an address every time it's switched on? I realise this could well be exactly how it's supposed to work, for security, however I just wanted to check if this is supposed to occur as it never used to happen when ZAISS was installed.

Running ZoneAlarm Extreme on XP Pro SP3.

As ever, any and all suggestions much appreciated.
    Last edited by ricksgotadrama; September 19th, 2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: To add system details

ricksgotadrama Guest

Default Re: Firefox Bookmarks (v 3.5.3), default browser and new networks...

Ok, so things I've noticed since my first post...

It seems my bookmarking problem in Firefox goes away if I disable the skype add on. (It also solved a problem that I had where I couldn't open any links from the web search results page of www.google.co.uk and www2.sandbox.google.com.)

For everyone's information out there regarding support for Firefox v3.5+ and Windows Live Mail, this is the answer I got from tech support today - Kelly: The issue with Firefox 3.5 is resolved in our latest 9.0 release. As for Windows Live Mail, we do support the Windows Mail client as of version 8.0.400.020. We haven't received an ETA on support for Windows Live Mail at this time, I apologize.

Also, does anyone have any clue as to why when I clear the virtual data in forcefield I lose my homepage settings (and sometimes the keyscambler.xpi in Firefox)? I ask as it only happens sometimes, not everytime. I set my browser up with any add ons and preferences while not running forcefield - sometimes everything's the same when I then open a protected browser, but sometimes I have to set up preferences again within the protected browser. As for losing these preferences when the virtual data's cleared, it seems to make no difference as to whether the protected browser recognised my preferences from the browser that was set up unprotected, or not. Am I missing some way to protect/save any preferences such as this that's in forcefield's settings somewhere? Mind of it's own, me thinks...

I still have no joy with opening any browser other than Firefox through Forcefield, regardless of default settings.

Oh, and anybody's thoughts on the new network screen popping up would also be appreciated - although I'm thinking it's probably supposed to work as I've described on my previous post.

I'd upgraded to ZAES from ZAISS to provide a family member with a simple layer of effective protection, but these niggles are turning it into anything but simple - or will do when I no longer have access to their pc and they have to sort things out themselves!

Please help before I give this pc concrete feet and drop it in the ocean 12 miles from shore...

Hi!
    the situation looks very confusing. I would suggest you install version 9 but only after having removed version 8 with the ZA removal tool.

Before installing ZA 9 try to set your IE to default settings and disable security related toolbars (if you have it).

Also note that keyscambler can conflict with ZA forcefield. More security tool you have more you will need to troubleshoot. ZA does not play nice with many other security tools. They may block its correct functioning including updates. For example, spyware doctor, spysweeper, trojan hunter, win patrol, PCtools Threat Fire, Mcafee, Norton, Symantec, Adaware, SpybotS&D, WinPatrol, AVG, Avast free, NOD, Kaspersky, Comodo, Rising, PC Doctor, MS OneCare and many others.

If you want to troubleshoot issues with ZA please remove these tools (not enough to disable) and install back (if you really need) only after you see your ZA is working as it should. Double check you have really removed all other security tools by running this utility http://www.appremover.com/

For resetting IE you can do the following:

Close all browsers
    - Open ZoneAlarm
    - Click Browser Security -> Settings
    - Click Advanced tab
    - Clear virtual data and click okay
    - Now turn Browser Security off and follow these steps here

- Click Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options
    - Click Delete -> Delete Temporary Internet Files
    - Security (Tab) -> Default Level
    - Advanced (Tab) -> Restore advanced settings

Turn browser security back on and see if it works.
    ---------

Your issue with the router is an indication that your ZA settings are corrupted. ZA settings can get corrupted if:

- you are infected by malware;
    - you are running incompatible security tools
    - your PC tends to hang or crash
    - you turn off your PC by forcing the shutdown

Please Install with default settings do NOT alter them. After re-boot go to ZA antivirus/antispyware and 'Update Now' and do not restore any previous ZA settings

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 23rd, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ricksgotadrama Guest

Hello again, Fax.

Yeah, unfortunately this pc does hang way too much for my liking - especially annoying as there's virtually nothing installed on it as I only did a fresh OS install a few weeks ago.

Already using v.9.0.083.000. Everything's up to date from ZA updates to MS updates.

Only have keyscrambler running apart from ZAES - nothing else at all. I'll get rid for now though.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a clean install again then! I've given up for tonight - I'll try to sort everything tomorrow and I'll post back with how I got on.

Ta, Fax!

Uhm Ok, thanks for the quick feedback.
    Srange it hangs, it may be a failure of the HD.

This is unfortunately going to have an effect on ZA that will be easily get corrupted (settings)

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

ricksgotadrama Guest

Yeah, the last zonealarm install on this used to get corrupted...when ZAISS was on this.

Can't really check the HDD as it isn't SMART capable. Suppose that by itself really shows that it's time to get another one!

I'd better start looking for a replacement pc...

JMG94 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ricksgotadrama View Post
    Hello all.

Apologies if these have been covered previously - I see a few threads, but no definitive solutions.

I upgraded from ZAISS to ZAX a few days ago, (complete uninstall of ZAISS and install of ZAX) and I've noticed a few things that are bugging me. The main thing is that I appear unable to bookmark anything - none of the "my bookmarks dissappear when I clear virtualisation data" here, as it just won't save any, at all, ever! And I hate to say it as I really don't want to use it, but IE8 works just fine.

Forcefield also completely ignores my choice of default browser regardless of whether I change the default in the browser options and/or via program access and defaults. It opens Firefox every single time when I click on Private, Unprotected or Open Browser on the right click options of my ZA taskbar icon.

One more thing - not Forcefield related - since installing ZAX, every time the router here is switched on the new network found box appears. It asks every time, even though the network (192.168.0) has been "found" many times before. Is this just because the router is assigning an address every time it's switched on? I realise this could well be exactly how it's supposed to work, for security, however I just wanted to check if this is supposed to occur as it never used to happen when ZAISS was installed.

Running ZoneAlarm Extreme on XP Pro SP3.

As ever, any and all suggestions much appreciated.
    Hi ! I have experienced the same problem when setting ie as my default browser instead of Firefox. In fact, I THOUGHT i did. I did it INSIDE ie, and Forcefield did not seem to understand, but it looks like Windows did not either : in the Control Panel / Internet Options, I incidentally found that ie was not my default browser...
    I set it from there, and then... it worked !
    I think it is related to the general issue about virtualization and changing settings in sessions...
    Best regards

Thread Information