Thread: how can i remove programs in program control panel in ZAX 8.0.400

name_witheld Guest

Default how can i remove programs in program control panel in ZAX 8.0.400

Hi, Thanks in advance and for past assistance with your expertise.
    I have several questions here about Program settings in ZAX .
    I have roughly 400 programs listed in Programs tab of program control panel. some are from programs i have since uninstalled others may be repeated or otherwise redundant. can the list be refreshed or edited?
    Windows control panel lists 77 installed programs on the system. ZAX seems to have every *.exe file there is on the system listed.
    Also is there a way of editing more than one setting at a time,( like you would use ctrl or shift keys when selecting multiple items in a typical windows app.)?
    Where can i find information about which programs need the permissions and access to optimize security and functionality? for example i had a problem with Windows Live Mail taking two minutes to open and i found it was ZAX was set to block its access/server settings.

Thanks again for your help

N_W

System Details below:

Dell Inspiron 1501
    2GB RAM
    AMD Turion 64x2 TL56 Mobile 1.8GHz
    Vista Home Premium SP 2 32-bit

ZoneAlarm Extreme Security version:8.0.400.020
    TrueVector version:8.0.400.020
    Driver version:8.0.400.020
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:993608923
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200909.6605
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429
    ZoneAlarm ForceField 1.3.153.0
    ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.95.0

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: How can I remove programs in program control panel

Two methods:

1- Reset Database.
    Keep in mind that you will lose all settings within ZoneAlarm. If you usually rely on the default settings, this poses no problem for you.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

If you have a very large program list and don't mind customizing some of your programs again, this works. ( You also have the same effect if you upgrade your ZoneAlarm firewall product - can be a side benefit).

2 - Manual Removal.
    Remember by right clicking the program/ file and 'Remove' - you are not "un-installing" the program > just removing the name off your ZA Program Control panel/ list.

If you have multiple instances of the same program - right click - 'remove' the older versions - look at the dates/ time stamp and file version numbers; keep the latest version.

You want to remove all the temporary program/files that you ususally get after an install/ update/ upgrade. All programs ending in: ".tmp" , 'run once -/wrapper', 'self-extracting cabinet', 'setup.exe and temp/ installers', Win32 Cabinet Self Extractor .

It's a good idea to open ZA Program Control Panel while your downloading new software/ programs and watch - all the new files and temp. files appear - customize if necessary. Then the next day - manual remove all temp files > this keeps your list tip-top and up-to-date.

3* - If you have ZoneAlarm Extreme or stand-alone ForceField - it is advisable to 'Clear virtual data' with some regularity. Settings > Advanced > Virtualization > click "Clear virtual data"
    __________________________________________________ ____
    NaiveMelody NYC - 9-26-09 - Self Control - Laura Branigan
    Last edited by naivemelody; September 26th, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

name_witheld Guest

Default Re: How can I remove programs in program control panel

Thanks Melody,
    The reset worked. I did the custom setup, rather than the express setup and set alerts to maximum instead of auto. Windows Live mail, now opens in five seconds, rather than 100 seconds.

thanks again

N_W

Thread Information