Thread: Ignore Always

jbattin Guest

Default Ignore Always

I am running Extreme 9.0.083.000.

I am wondering why in scan results if I pick Ignore Always, it doesn't mean just that file but instead all files of that type?

So if I want to exclude a .zip file and I select Ignore Always, it does an ignore always on all .zip files - then no zip files will be scanned. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Default Re: Ignore Always

Hi!
    no, just the file.

Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jbattin Guest

It doesn't work that way in my Extreme. Looking at my Scan Results I have 8 different *.pst files with this Name: Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen. When I select 1 line and do an ignore always it gives this message: Selecting "Ignore Always" will force all detections of this type to be ignored as well. Clicking Yes will set all 8 lines to Ignore Always.

What gets added to the Exception list is the Item of Virus and Name of Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen and Exempt from On-Access and On-Demand Scan, not the file name.

I would prefer to be allowed to select if I want it for all files or that individual file.

I don't remember how it worked in Security Suite, but has anyone else noticed how it works in their Extreme?

Hi!
    yes, sorry. It will ignore all the "Trojan-Spy.HTML.Fraud.gen" detection. Not just those files.
    Go to advanced settings of the antivirus/antispyware section --> Exception --> Add --> choose the file(s) or folder to exclude and choose from what.

You should actually report the false positives so they are fixed without the need of messing up with exceptions.

See here how to report!

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 21st, 2009 at 08:41 AM.

jbattin Guest

It's not the false positives that bother me, it's that it's a pain in the a** to add a file. If a repair of Ignore File was added to the list versus Ignore type of Virus (currently Ignore Always), it would be far more beneficial.

I don't want to eliminate all of a type of virus, I just want an easier way to add the file.

Is there a place to post Requested Enhancements?

Hi!
    not sure I follow the difficulty of adding the files but you can try the beta and feedback directly the developers on the type of exception you would like to see in future versions.
    This is how exclusion and ignore works. from the online help.

-----------------------------------
    Excluding items from virus scans

Excluding items from virus scans can be useful in the following circumstances:
    • When you don't want ZoneAlarm to scan certain directories, files, or programs that you know to be safe, see Excluding files from virus scans .
    • If a scan reports as a virus a program you know to be safe, see Excluding detected viruses from scans .
    Excluding files from virus scans

You may want to exclude certain files and programs you know to be safe.

To specify items that should be ignored by virus scans:
    1. Select Anti-virus/spyware, then click Advanced Options.
    2. Under Virus Management, select Exceptions.
    3. Click the Add File button and choose from the Select type menu:
      On-Access scan

Excludes the selected file(s) from on-access scans, which occur when a file is opened, executed, or saved.
      Trusted Process
      Choose this if you want to exclude an executable (.exe) file from scans.

4. Do one of the following:
      • Click Browse to select a file you want to exclude.
      • To exclude a drive or group of files, enter them into the Select exception field using one of the formats shown in the Browse dialog box.
    5. Click OK.
    Excluding detected viruses from scans

Some benign applications may be mistaken as viruses during a system or on-access scan. If an application shows up in the Scan Results but you are certain it is safe, you can exclude it from anti-virus scans by adding it to the exceptions list.

To exclude a suspected virus from future scans:
    • When a virus Scan Results dialog appears, right-click programs that you want to exclude and choose Ignore Always.
    The program is added to exceptions list and will no longer be detected during virus scans.

---------------------------------------

Cheers,
    Fax
    Last edited by fax; September 21st, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

Thread Information