Thread: LAN Dropouts

mabryant Guest

Default LAN Dropouts

I did a complete re-install of ZL IS on my PC from scratch last week with the latest download as my programs list was getting unwieldy and a re-install cleans out the old crud. All was working well except for the problem below.

I'm now experiencing LAN dropouts - losing visibility and access to another PC on a peer to peer LAN. I'm running Vista home 64, the other is running XP home (32). The only solution seemed to be to reboot my PC to regain the connection.

After a lot of research and trying to fix the problem by checking network settings, ZL settings and PC settings (e.g. power management) on both machines I was getting nowhere. Then I read somewhere that Kapersky and Vista 64 conspire together to create LAN dropouts and the only solution is to uninstall (not just disable) Kapersky. I seem to recall that ZL contains bits of the Kapersky software so I uninstalled it on my PC this morning and so far the LAN has held up. Normally I would have had to reboot several times by now to reconnect.

Is this a known issue? Have I got the right root cause do you think? I'd like to resolve it because I have always rated ZL and don't want to rely on the Windows firewall.

TIA for any help.

mabryant Guest

Default Re: LAN Dropouts

I thought I'd cured this by re-installing ZAIS using the default option of allowing it to scan the PC for existing programs. However, after a couple of days running perefectly smoothly it has now started dropping the LAN connection again. Disabling ZL and starting up the Windows firewall cures the problem, but unfortunately I'm now running without virus protection.

Any chance of a response from Zonelabs on this?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by mabryant View Post
    Any chance of a response from Zonelabs on this? TIA
    Hi!
    sorry, all users here no ZA staff. Follow the links in my signature to contact them.

Thanks,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mabryant Guest

Thanks a lot Fax.

mabryant Guest

Well I did try. The "Chat" feature from Fax's link was out of service so I followed the link to email support. I filled in the form with a detailed explanation of the problem and submitted it. I got the message

"We're Sorry... The system is temporarily unable to process your request. Please click the "back" button on your browser and try again."

Of course, when I did this the form had cleared :-( .

Usually this means the post was too long.
    Be very brief, you can always follow-up with more details as soon as you receive the e-mail.

or, even better, wait that online chat is OPEN.

Cheers,
    Fax

mabryant Guest

I did get through in the end after shortening the post. Thanks again for your help.

No problem...

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information