Thread: [Solved] Zone Alarm Free and Internet Security Suite setup crashes computer

dizzle Guest

Thumbs up [Solved] Zone Alarm Free and Internet Security Suite setup crashes computer

So I've had ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite on my XP SP2 for about 4 years, and yesterday it said I needed to install an important upgrade. I downloaded the upgrade (zaSuiteSetup_80_400_020_en.exe) and when I tried to install it, I got the error messages about how TrueVector was still running, and how I had a previous version of ZoneAlarm that was not compatible with the upgrade. I tried to uninstall, but the uninstall program kept getting hung up, so eventually I followed the instructions to completely remove ZoneAlarm here: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?p=263225

Then when I finally rebooted my computer in normal mode and tried to install the update, it crashed the computer. Crashed as in, I get a quick flash of some kind of blue screen error message for a fraction of a second (unfortunately I can't read what it says that fast) and then the system reboots. I also downloaded the full free trial version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (I needed to renew my subscription next week anyway) and that had the same problem, and so did just the free ZoneAlarm Firewall program.

As near as I can tell, it gets about 11 percent through the installation, then crashes when it tries to check for existing or previous versions of ZA. I can't be sure, though.

Any suggestions? Help would be appreciated, I don't like not having my firewall running!
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 25th, 2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Solved

Post Re: Zone Alarm Free and Internet Security Suite setup crashes computer

Quote Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
    So I've had ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite on my XP SP2 for about 4 years, and yesterday it said I needed to install an important upgrade. I downloaded the upgrade (zaSuiteSetup_80_400_020_en.exe) and when I tried to install it, I got the error messages about how TrueVector was still running, and how I had a previous version of ZoneAlarm that was not compatible with the upgrade. I tried to uninstall, but the uninstall program kept getting hung up, so eventually I followed the instructions to completely remove ZoneAlarm here: http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Then when I finally rebooted my computer in normal mode and tried to install the update, it crashed the computer. Crashed as in, I get a quick flash of some kind of blue screen error message for a fraction of a second (unfortunately I can't read what it says that fast) and then the system reboots. I also downloaded the full free trial version of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite (I needed to renew my subscription next week anyway) and that had the same problem, and so did just the free ZoneAlarm Firewall program.

As near as I can tell, it gets about 11 percent through the installation, then crashes when it tries to check for existing or previous versions of ZA. I can't be sure, though.

Any suggestions? Help would be appreciated, I don't like not having my firewall running!
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_1welcome.gif to the Zone Alarm User Forum..

It looks like your Have Corrupted your Installed ZA files The Best Fix for this problem is to Uninstall the Corrupte Version..

1.) TrueVector, is the main Guts of the ZA Firewall..
    It is the first thing to Load when your Computer Starts up, and it is the Last thing to Shutdown, and if you do not Shut the Old ZoneAlarm Down properly before you Install the New Update, the old TrueVector may Block the New Install, in an attempt to Protect your Computer..

The simplest procedure is to :

1.Download the Latest installer preferably with IE Browser and no Download Manager/accelerator like Get-Right, Livewire, Bit-Torrent) and save it to your Hard drive.

(MultiPlatform, installer will install on Both WinXP SP3 and Vista)

ZASS http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

2. Before you Uninstall your current ZA, UNcheck "Load ZA... at startup" (under Overview - Preferences tab)

3. Reboot the Computer. So that vsmon.exe/TrueVector will be removed from Memory

4.) Now use the new ZoneAlarm Removal Tool: Click here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cpes_clean.exe

Save to desktop, right click and "run as administrator" This tool will remove all ZoneAlarm products from your system.

Please just download and run the tool, following the instructions. (you can un-install without net connections)

5.) Now Install the new update (clean) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

NOTICE: Please note that ZASS and ZAXS do not play nice with many overlapping security tools (even if disabled).

To troubleshoot ZASS/ZAXS issues removethe other Security programs and re-install them once you see that ZA works as it should.

For example,Norton/Symantec, McAfee,AVG, Spyspweeper, Spyware Doctor, trojan hunter, adware, SpyBotSearch & Destroy, PC tools Threat Fire, any other Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Registry Guard or locking tools, etc...

Please Post back with your Progress Report..
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by GeorgeV; September 25th, 2009 at 05:57 AM.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dizzle Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Free and Internet Security Suite setup crashes computer

Well, I already had most of ZA uninstalled, so I didn't need to do the first part, and the hyperlinks you included here were cut short, but I managed to find the Zone Alarm remover program. The remover popped up a couple errors when it ran, but whatever it did seemed to work. After rebooting the computer, ZASS installed just fine.

Thanks for your help!

Thumbs up [Solved] Zone Alarm Free and Internet Security Suite setup crashes computer

Your Welcome..

thank you for your Feedback..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information